Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-775DSP Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-775DSP
ICOM IC-775DSP Reviews: 97 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $4760.00
Description: 200 Watt HF transceiver with DSP, 10-160 m + WARC.
More info: http://icomamerica.com/support/archive/amateur/ic-775dsp.asp

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-775DSP.

HI8CJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2011 09:38 Send this review to a friend
SUPERB!  Time owned: more than 12 months
According to my point of view, this rig is 5+++ Totally unsurpassable!

W9VS Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2011 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Super Transceivers  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I own two very nice late model IC-775DSP's with serial numbers 2647 and 2751. Both are fully loaded and pleasure to operate. I even sold my IC-756PROII which I might regret later but I don't think I will. I can say that the receiver is very very quiet. Sometimes I have to look at the display to make sure it is turned on. It's the best transceiver Icom ever made.If you can find one buy it. You won't be sorry.
I did the audio mod on one of them that was done by Hans PA1HR. It really made a big difference on both TX and RX. Glad I bought them.

EA5HEM Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2010 13:49 Send this review to a friend
The best radio of all time  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I can say that have not already said. Fantastic, fabulous, incredible, the better. The ultimate radio with one ear impressive, the receiver is the best but also the 200W and the amber. Everyone should have one to be happy.
Greetings and good DX

W8IDL Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2010 15:56 Send this review to a friend
PERFECTION !  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Icom IC-775 DSP (and the IC-775DXII version) is, IMO, the perfect radio. I have both the DSP and DXII versions (they are the same except for the display), and they are just a joy to operate! I have owned *everything* over the past 30 years, even selling my IC-7800 because i never seemed to use it.

I notice every single review of this radio is a "5" except for one that is a "zero" - so I checked it out. His complaint was transient RF on transmit and a glitch on close-in and split CW work. I tested both of my 775s (serial numbers over 1800) and was unable to duplicate any of the problems listed in his review. Yes, I have access to a fully equipped radio laboratory and an education to know how to use it. I would go with the 9+ pages of "5" ratings and throw his "0" out. This radio is absolutely, positively a 5.0 out of 5.0.

I have installed the InRad roofing filter option on both radios, and while it probably is not noticeable for general use, there is a measurable improvement.

If you buy one of these radios, you'll probably own it for a very long time... I fully agree with all of the literally glowing reviews!

N9LBW Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2010 05:21 Send this review to a friend
Quality Transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only owned this for a short time, but I have gotten excellent audio reoprts and the receive signals are very good. I would rate it as well, if not better than my TEN TEC ORION II ELECRAFT K3, ICOM IC-756PROIII and comparable to my YAESU FT-1000 MP MKV, KENWOOD TS-950SDX and KENWOOD TS-2000LE

N6HPO Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2010 20:56 Send this review to a friend
A Beginners Great Fortune!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'd like to post a review from the beginner's standpoint.

I bought mine almost 3 years ago, just a few months after getting my General. A good friend told me that the rig was owned by a ham in very ill health. The unit was bought new by the owner; mostly used for cw but a little DX chasing occasionally.

When I got to the house and saw the rig, there was a fine coat of dust on it, but nothing else. It was immaculate! The display was flawless. It's only now, three years after the fact that I realize just how fortunate I was that day.

Three years ago, I just wanted to get it home and fire it up. So, I strung my 204' G5RV between two 60' trees and that was all I did. The feedpoint was up at only 22', so the antenna really was not performing up to its potential. The antenna looked like a big "smile" between those trees. Yet, I still made contacts all around the globe!

Six months later, 90 MPH wind gusts took out one of the trees, so I was SOL for almost 18 months, until the tree next to it grew upwards! I took very good care of that 40' tree, hi.

This past week, I finally got the gumption to get the antenna back up. The feedpoint is now up close to 40'. Man what a difference. The rig has really come alive, even in this bad patch of propagation we are experiencing.

This is my first HF rig, so I've got nothing to compare it to. Several filter slots remain to be filled. It has every accessory and function that I never knew I wanted!

I use a Heil GM-4 and a Heil HMM hand mic. The rig is capable of 230 watts out, but I seem to break [modest] pile-ups with no more than 150. It's never been cranked higher.

Frankly, I don't know how much better the rig can get. I bless the day I found it and my friend who brought it to my attention!

I know that I'm going to forget to mention something, but I guess, that's just the amateur in me...

M1BYG Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2010 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I managed to buy an Icom 775DSP in excellent condition approximately 2 weeks ago. After reading the reviews on eham and joining the yahoo user group I can confirm that I made the right choice. My radio is one of the earlier serial number models.

I am using a mono band hexbeam for 20 meters with the radio at present and have found that my linear amplifier has been made redundant since the purchase. 200 watts output is a definate advantage. I am using a Heil IC Pro Set with the 775. This drives the radio perfectly with minimal settings on the drive and mic gain. I have found that the compressor to be excellent and increases talk power more than radio's I have used previously. It definately gives the audio great punch and sounds fairly true in the headset when the monitor is engaged.

The bandwidth on tx is adjustable and with the addition of the tone control you can achieve some pretty fantastic results. I have mine presently set to 400 - 2700 with excellent results.

The receiver is excellent on SSB and the DSP noise reduction works extremely well considering the age of the radio. I have all optional filters fitted which greatly assists under busy band conditions. The receiver has a really great tone unlike some modern full dsp units.

If you are thinking of buying one good luck with finding one, excellent radio.

GB001 Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2009 13:08 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST BAR NONE.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This transceiver has the finest receiver of any radio I've owned. After operating with a Yaesu FT1000MP MK5 , Icom 756 Pro3 & more recentley a Yaesu FT2000 , I can say that the 775 beats them all.

200w pa, dualwatch & superb audio, all add to the excellent qualities. A simple menu system & a REAL s-meter are just some of the excellent features.

No need to spend 5000 on a 7700 when you can spend 1500 or less on a good secondhand model 775 . At least you have the dualwatch facility.

All in all a great buy on the secondhand market.

This radio lives up to its reputation.

HZ1SK Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2009 06:14 Send this review to a friend
A Fantastic Rig !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the IC-775DSP for more than 5 years now and I can say it is one of the Best rigs I have ever owned.Although I bought an IC-756ProIII and which I like very much but the IC-775DSP stands in a class of its own.If you got the chance to buy one, do it..you will not regret your decision.
Best 73,

Samir
OD5SK , HZ1SK , KC5RYL
www.od5sk.com
www.Laselki.net

M0VEY Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2009 01:59 Send this review to a friend
A True Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having now owned the ICOM IC-775DSP for over a yearn now, I thought it was time to do another review.
The receiver is wonderful & I am lucky to have a fully filtered model. If a strong station appears 2kc away, with use of the 2 narrow filters & the Twin PBT , it is like the stations are no longer there.

I've experimented with several microphones. After trying the SM8, SM20, Heil ICM, Heil HMI & Heil Traveller I ended up using a Heil Goldline with the HC5 element. I think I was chasing something with the electret inserts that I didn't have need for. I also tried a Heil PR781 which came a close 2nd to the Goldline. The PR781 did sound great if used with an external EQ. For normal use with no eq, the Goldline/HC5 combo are great.
Audio reports are usually along the lines, " you are so loud & clear" .

After setting the menu up after I purchased the radio, I have not needed to revisit the menu system.

My overall view of this radio is that it is the finest radio I have used so far. I'm sure that the Icom IC-775DSP will be a keeper in my shack for many years to come. If you stumble across one of these radios in good condition & it comes with all option filters, do not hesitate to purchase it.