Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Accessories | Yaesu DMU-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu DMU-2000
Yaesu DMU-2000 Reviews: 45 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $$999
Description: The Yaesu DMU-2000 option provides a wide array of informative and useful displays for the FT-2000 series.
Spectrum Scope with Limited Bandwidth Sweep feature
Audio Scope/Oscilloscope Display Page
Swept-Frequency SWR Page
Memory Channel List
World Clock with GrayLine Page
Rotator Control Page
Log Book Feature
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu DMU-2000.

WJ3V Rating: 4/5 Dec 14, 2013 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Nice add on   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having read all the reviews I was hesitant in buying this accessory. However, they are now selling used for around $650 and that seems to be about the right price for what you get.

As a spectrum display it functions OK. Not the most user friendly but I like what it provides. The display is sharp on my 15 inch monitor.

I find the menu mode fantastic. Makes changing and saving menu settings a breeze.

Also like the audio and scope functions. Really helpful in setting up the parametric eq.

The only downside is the clunky interface. The function keys work OK but can be a pain to use in a dimly lit room. If it could be controlled with a mouse it would be 5 stars.

W7KNX Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2013 20:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Enhancement for the FT-950  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I always thought the DMU-2000 looked like a fun option for my FT-950 but I hesitated to buy one due to the negative reviews here. My review will be related to using it with my FT-950 which I've had for almost two years now.

First, I will say it was difficult to set up and figure out how to use due to the poorly written manual. I spent some time trying to figure it out and after a while it became quite easy to use.

There a total of 8 screens to use as follows:

1. "World Map" with or without grey line (easy to toggle back and forth)that allows you to display 2 cities for "local time" and 6 more for "world time". There is an extensive list of world cities already programmed in from the factory and you can display up to 11 cities on the map. Contrary to what I've read here you can add any city in the world you like.

2. "RF Scope". I'm at a loss to understand the criticism of this screen which is essentially a spectrum analyzer as seen from the first IF of 69.45 Mhz. You can look at 5 Khz of spectrum up to a maximum of 2.5 Mhz. RX and TX. It's simple to scroll through the span choices and I find the graphics quite satisfactory on a 17" LCD screen. I have and use HRD and do not agree that the spectrum analyzer graphics are inferior.

3. "AF Scope". This screen allows you to analyze the RX or TX audio two ways. On the left is an audio spectrum display called "Audio Scope" which displays the audio spectrally, 100 HZ to 4 Khz. On the right is a a standard oscilloscope which displays the waveform. There is also an external input if you want to use the scope for looking at other audio signals. Again I think the graphics are great and you can choose from multiple color schemes (which apply to all the screens) which are obviously well thought out by Yaesu.

4. "Logbook". This is a standard logbook which you can use if you add an external keyboard (PS2 or USB). I'm happy with XM log so I probably won't be using this screen.

5. "SWR". This screen provides a chart you can use to plot the SWR of your antenna. It also provides useful PA information at the top of the screen, including PA heatsink temperature which I find useful during RTTY contests.

6. "Rotator". This is a screen you can use to control your rotator. You can choose between a standard 360 degree plot or a great circle map. I might use this screen in the future.

7. "MCHLIST". This is a screen where you can store frequencies in memory. I generally don't store frequencies in memory on any of my HF equipment. It's too easy to perform direct entry.

8. "Menu". This screen appears when you access the menu with the FT-950 menu button. This is so much easier to use when setting or experimenting with some of the menu features like the parametric equalizer or the DNR than the radio front panel.

I absolutely enjoy using the DMU-2000 and find it to be a fabulous addition to my FT-950. My main criticisms would the poorly written manual and the cost. I'm not sure why the price is so high.

N4WSH Rating: 2/5 Sep 30, 2012 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I purchased a pre-owned FT-2000 the owner gave me a great deal on his DMU-2000 too as he didn't want to go through the hassle of selling it. Within a few weeks I sold it as I was very disappointed. As others said it is old, clunky, lacking in many areas and runs like it's an old 386 pc. The display was very grainy. The best news was I sold it for much, much more than I paid for it. This is first product that Yaesu has made that I'm disappointed in, and I'm a BIG Yaesu fan.

W7ARX Rating: 2/5 Sep 19, 2012 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Very Poor and "OLD"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had it briefly and fortunately, got my money back. Way over priced for what you get. Get free HRD or Power SDR software downloaded and buy an IF-2000 interface/LP Pan and you get a whole lot more. To think I was going to let go $1000 for this DMU to hook up to the 950, which is nearly the price of the DMU, ridiculous. What was I thinking. Slow, clunky, old technology, not sure what Yaesu was trying to to, add eye candy to the shack with a band scope, etc? Anyway, glad I got my money back. Didn't have it long, but certainly wasn't impressed. One problem with not being able to check out actual hardware these days at a real dealer.

K3DNF Rating: 3/5 Jan 30, 2012 19:31 Send this review to a friend
eh? maybe  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
All the criticisms of the unit are totally true. But what is the expectation? Much of ham equipment is outdated, by modern processing power standards. And if its not, by the time you finish reading this, it will be.

The DMU-2000 definately elevates the FT-950. If nothing else, the menu screen makes navigating and adjusting the various menu parameters MUCH easier and quicker. The quality is not in question, and deserves a "5". If the price were closer to 400USD, it would have gotten a 5.

I reviewed this elsewhere in reviews, and will repeat my summary as follows: if you are on a budget, there are more useful ways to spend 1000USD for sure. But if you have the extra jingle, this unit certainly enhances the radio and makes it a more friendly machine. Is it worth it? Up to you.

DL6AN Rating: 2/5 Jan 6, 2012 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Unfortunately outdated..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had this Unit, i can't believe how Yaesu can sell this Unit, it is from technical side Lightyaers behind, it is so slow, the Software is very outdated, you feel like back on a C64, 30 yaers ago. The Idea is very good and if they could pack a "Up to Date PC" with a proper Software, we could be very happy. You Guys from Yaesu never seen a SDR Radio how it performs today wth a proper Software and Hardware.

W8NVC Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2011 22:24 Send this review to a friend
If you can afford it, its A1  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was wrong Hro has it for $869.00 on sale as of today 11-11-2011, But at GIGAPARTS its $1109.00 WOW That alot.. i just need to correct my last post.... 73.. as i said before, if you can afford it, it really makes the 950 come alive, and easyer to get to and see your menus, also great band scope and world time and grey line map.the swr plot is also superb.... Its like command central.. A++++++++++ shop around and read the manual.....but really It does some cool stuff....

N5WRX Rating: 2/5 Aug 24, 2011 06:18 Send this review to a friend
Not worth the money ...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I think Yaesu has missed a very good opportunity with their DMU-2000 unit.

As a band scope it is OK.
As a log book it is missing features.
In keeping with the FT-950 menu it is way to hard to program and learn.
The keyboard is only there for set-up and the log book.
The "F" keys on the keyboard should have been used ... not the buttons on the radio.

But what it could have been is a true digital management system that included decoding and display of the digital modes.
Transmit CW and PSK-31 (and other modes) from the keyboard should have been a given.

If you ever have used a Flex 5000 display you wold throw rocks at the DMU-2000.
It is the bare minimum required and has not been supported with any new or expanded functions by Yaesu.

Too bad ... it could have been a must have item but as it is ... it is just another expensive toy to impress visitors.

KK8ZZ Rating: 2/5 Jun 7, 2011 14:42 Send this review to a friend
It's not a Flex, Guys  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Overpriced, and no way does it compare in any way with the display that something like the Flex-1500 or 3000 offers (I have both). Clunky interface. The concept is great, but the implementation is just awful.

Using it on an otherwise nice FT-2000.

G6DQK Rating: 4/5 Apr 27, 2011 06:33 Send this review to a friend
DMU useful, would be brilliant if display was fast!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Accessing the DMU-2000 from an FTdx5000 or FT950

On the radio keypad 0-9 (band change) hold down the ENT key to activate the display on the DMU. The number keys 1-8 then allow setting of the DMU.

Very poor support for the DMU in the Yaesu radio instruction manual!!!