Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Accessories | Yaesu DMU-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu DMU-2000
Yaesu DMU-2000 Reviews: 48 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $$999
Description: The Yaesu DMU-2000 option provides a wide array of informative and useful displays for the FT-2000 series.
Spectrum Scope with Limited Bandwidth Sweep feature
Audio Scope/Oscilloscope Display Page
Swept-Frequency SWR Page
Memory Channel List
World Clock with GrayLine Page
Rotator Control Page
Log Book Feature

You can write your own review of the Yaesu DMU-2000.

N5WRX Rating: 2/5 Aug 24, 2011 06:18 Send this review to a friend
Not worth the money ...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I think Yaesu has missed a very good opportunity with their DMU-2000 unit.

As a band scope it is OK.
As a log book it is missing features.
In keeping with the FT-950 menu it is way to hard to program and learn.
The keyboard is only there for set-up and the log book.
The "F" keys on the keyboard should have been used ... not the buttons on the radio.

But what it could have been is a true digital management system that included decoding and display of the digital modes.
Transmit CW and PSK-31 (and other modes) from the keyboard should have been a given.

If you ever have used a Flex 5000 display you wold throw rocks at the DMU-2000.
It is the bare minimum required and has not been supported with any new or expanded functions by Yaesu.

Too bad ... it could have been a must have item but as it is ... it is just another expensive toy to impress visitors.
KK8ZZ Rating: 2/5 Jun 7, 2011 14:42 Send this review to a friend
It's not a Flex, Guys  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Overpriced, and no way does it compare in any way with the display that something like the Flex-1500 or 3000 offers (I have both). Clunky interface. The concept is great, but the implementation is just awful.

Using it on an otherwise nice FT-2000.
G6DQK Rating: 4/5 Apr 27, 2011 06:33 Send this review to a friend
DMU useful, would be brilliant if display was fast!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Accessing the DMU-2000 from an FTdx5000 or FT950

On the radio keypad 0-9 (band change) hold down the ENT key to activate the display on the DMU. The number keys 1-8 then allow setting of the DMU.

Very poor support for the DMU in the Yaesu radio instruction manual!!!
NN3V Rating: 2/5 Apr 8, 2011 16:21 Send this review to a friend
Louisy user information  Time owned: more than 12 months
Many people extol the value of the DMU-2000. But Yaesu has done an awful job of publishing an intelligible user's guide. The DMU-2000 manual apparently assumes you have divined some obscure key arrangement on the transceiver (folks who own an FT2000 may be spared this problem as I understand that the radio is labeled with DMU functions) whether a Yaesu FT-950 or a Yaesu FT-5000. Lack of a good user's guide for the FT-5000 is a poor situation when dealing with a $5K radio!

I own a brand new FT-5000, and there is ZILCH info that I can find about how to use the DMU-2000 with the rig. All I've found is a statement that the DMU must be updated to version 0511 of the DMU software (I have done that) to operate properly with the FT-5000 (after the FT-5000 is updated with the current firmweare (I have done that also).

Not a well thought out customer approach.

AJ4RW Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2011 08:01 Send this review to a friend
Great addition to my FT-2000  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the DMU-2000 in July of 2009 with the FT-2000D and have been loving it ever since. I first saw a similar monitor used on an Icom radio and loved the way if functioned but didn't like the size of the screen (way too small) nor the price of the radio (too expensive) for what it had to offer. After researching radios I found the FT-2000D had what I was looking for plus the use of the DMU-2000 with a large computer monitor to boot, I couldn't say "no". The band scope saves me a lot of time and all the other options makes this unit a must for me. I use almost all the other functions of the DMU-2000 from time to time. I like the unit so much I've thought about a second one for a backup. It had an issue with the scope board in November of 2010 and was repaired quickly by Yaesu for $36.00 + $9.00 for shipping, just the scope board.
KD0IDQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2010 19:12 Send this review to a friend
A wonderful addition to the FT-950  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love the DMU. I use the band spectrum scope all of the time. The grey-line map is a very useful feature too. It also makes the menus a lot more usable. The audio scope is great too.
KC0DR Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2010 12:36 Send this review to a friend
I find the DMU2000 to be a very useful station accessory.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I like the DMU2000 and wish I had bought it sooner. Since I spend most of my radio time hunting DX I fine the spectrum scope to be an extremely useful tool; I can see the signals on my 20 inch monitor and don't waste time tuning around quiet frequencies. To sum this up, I don't see anything about the DMU2000 that I don't like. I can hardly wait until I get my new Yaesu rotor and can control it from the FT-950 key panel. The DMU does just what Yaesu said it would do.
WA6TVS Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2010 21:14 Send this review to a friend
DMU is a great edition to the Shack  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I too dont understand some of the bad reviews on the DMU-2000. Its not a Pan Adapter! Sure the price is steep. But the band scope is a step above the 756 PROIII scope. It has a nifty SWR Plotter and also the DMU stores all settings including menu on compact flash. This lets you setup headsets and boom mics with different settings that you can recall fast with the compact flash. There are other features too but for the $$ i think for me its worth it.
K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2009 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Accessory!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I don't understand all the complaining about the DMU-2000. Yes, I have a couple issues with the FT-2000 (noise blanker & roofing filters) but I must admit, the DMU-2000 is a great addition to the FT-2000. I used a keyboard to set it up and now use the menu to look at different items in the menus.

I most often look at the RF scope to see activity above and below my frequency. The audio scope is also a nice touch when needed. I have the latest firmware update for the DMU-2000 and didn't find it that bad. I must echo the previous reviewers comments. If an old goat like me after 47 years in the hobby can manage to run this item without trouble, it can't be that bad!

Now if Yaesu could only fix the noise blanker and improve the roofing filter situation on the FT-2000, it could wind up being my rig for life!
K9TWO Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2009 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Great....Love mine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don't use a keyboard with mine, don't want one either. Used the owners manual very little, just played with the features and learned it in just a few hours. This thing was great in getting my Hustler vertical tuned on 80 meters. That SWR feature is super. The scope feature is great in using your manual notch on your rig. The resolution is good enough to read cw dots and dashes on the water fall. It's not hi def but I knew that before buying it. It's not a computer that needs a mouse. Don't need another mouse either.

Don't much like the logging program, but don't like any of them for that matter. Go the QRZ and type my call K9TWO and you can see a pix of mine in use.

Come on guys, if an old goat who's been a ham for 50 years can learn this thing without a manual so can you. Sure it's not a necessary item, but what is. Sure the manual sucks but I worked for a Japanese company for 10 years and have learned they do their best. Anyway, I love my DMU-2000 and plan to keep it. It's cool.

73 K9TWO