Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Accessories | Yaesu DMU-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu DMU-2000
Yaesu DMU-2000 Reviews: 45 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $$999
Description: The Yaesu DMU-2000 option provides a wide array of informative and useful displays for the FT-2000 series.
Spectrum Scope with Limited Bandwidth Sweep feature
Audio Scope/Oscilloscope Display Page
Swept-Frequency SWR Page
Memory Channel List
World Clock with GrayLine Page
Rotator Control Page
Log Book Feature
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu DMU-2000.

NN3V Rating: 2/5 Apr 8, 2011 16:21 Send this review to a friend
Louisy user information  Time owned: more than 12 months
Many people extol the value of the DMU-2000. But Yaesu has done an awful job of publishing an intelligible user's guide. The DMU-2000 manual apparently assumes you have divined some obscure key arrangement on the transceiver (folks who own an FT2000 may be spared this problem as I understand that the radio is labeled with DMU functions) whether a Yaesu FT-950 or a Yaesu FT-5000. Lack of a good user's guide for the FT-5000 is a poor situation when dealing with a $5K radio!

I own a brand new FT-5000, and there is ZILCH info that I can find about how to use the DMU-2000 with the rig. All I've found is a statement that the DMU must be updated to version 0511 of the DMU software (I have done that) to operate properly with the FT-5000 (after the FT-5000 is updated with the current firmweare (I have done that also).

Not a well thought out customer approach.

AJ4RW Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2011 08:01 Send this review to a friend
Great addition to my FT-2000  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the DMU-2000 in July of 2009 with the FT-2000D and have been loving it ever since. I first saw a similar monitor used on an Icom radio and loved the way if functioned but didn't like the size of the screen (way too small) nor the price of the radio (too expensive) for what it had to offer. After researching radios I found the FT-2000D had what I was looking for plus the use of the DMU-2000 with a large computer monitor to boot, I couldn't say "no". The band scope saves me a lot of time and all the other options makes this unit a must for me. I use almost all the other functions of the DMU-2000 from time to time. I like the unit so much I've thought about a second one for a backup. It had an issue with the scope board in November of 2010 and was repaired quickly by Yaesu for $36.00 + $9.00 for shipping, just the scope board.

KD0IDQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2010 19:12 Send this review to a friend
A wonderful addition to the FT-950  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love the DMU. I use the band spectrum scope all of the time. The grey-line map is a very useful feature too. It also makes the menus a lot more usable. The audio scope is great too.

KC0DR Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2010 12:36 Send this review to a friend
I find the DMU2000 to be a very useful station accessory.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I like the DMU2000 and wish I had bought it sooner. Since I spend most of my radio time hunting DX I fine the spectrum scope to be an extremely useful tool; I can see the signals on my 20 inch monitor and don't waste time tuning around quiet frequencies. To sum this up, I don't see anything about the DMU2000 that I don't like. I can hardly wait until I get my new Yaesu rotor and can control it from the FT-950 key panel. The DMU does just what Yaesu said it would do.

WA6TVS Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2010 21:14 Send this review to a friend
DMU is a great edition to the Shack  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I too dont understand some of the bad reviews on the DMU-2000. Its not a Pan Adapter! Sure the price is steep. But the band scope is a step above the 756 PROIII scope. It has a nifty SWR Plotter and also the DMU stores all settings including menu on compact flash. This lets you setup headsets and boom mics with different settings that you can recall fast with the compact flash. There are other features too but for the $$ i think for me its worth it.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2009 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Accessory!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I don't understand all the complaining about the DMU-2000. Yes, I have a couple issues with the FT-2000 (noise blanker & roofing filters) but I must admit, the DMU-2000 is a great addition to the FT-2000. I used a keyboard to set it up and now use the menu to look at different items in the menus.

I most often look at the RF scope to see activity above and below my frequency. The audio scope is also a nice touch when needed. I have the latest firmware update for the DMU-2000 and didn't find it that bad. I must echo the previous reviewers comments. If an old goat like me after 47 years in the hobby can manage to run this item without trouble, it can't be that bad!

Now if Yaesu could only fix the noise blanker and improve the roofing filter situation on the FT-2000, it could wind up being my rig for life!

K9TWO Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2009 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Great....Love mine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don't use a keyboard with mine, don't want one either. Used the owners manual very little, just played with the features and learned it in just a few hours. This thing was great in getting my Hustler vertical tuned on 80 meters. That SWR feature is super. The scope feature is great in using your manual notch on your rig. The resolution is good enough to read cw dots and dashes on the water fall. It's not hi def but I knew that before buying it. It's not a computer that needs a mouse. Don't need another mouse either.

Don't much like the logging program, but don't like any of them for that matter. Go the QRZ and type my call K9TWO and you can see a pix of mine in use.

Come on guys, if an old goat who's been a ham for 50 years can learn this thing without a manual so can you. Sure it's not a necessary item, but what is. Sure the manual sucks but I worked for a Japanese company for 10 years and have learned they do their best. Anyway, I love my DMU-2000 and plan to keep it. It's cool.

73 K9TWO

K0CWO Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2009 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Putting the DMU-2000 in perspective.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ended up with the DMU-2000 because I acquired an FT-950 to use at my secondary QTH. I like the FT-950 but I missed the band scope of my 756ProII at my primary QTH. Since I don’t have a lot of room at the second QTH, my 756ProII ended up there and I now use the FT-950/DMU-2000 at my primary QTH.

What you get with the DMU-2000 is a world map with grey line, a band scope with center and fixed modes, an audio frequency scope/oscilloscope, a logbook, an SWR plotting page, an antenna rotor page, a memory channel page, and a menu mode page.

The band scope does everything the scope in the 756ProII does. What I like about the DMU is that by buying whatever size monitor you prefer, it is much larger than the scope in the 756 series radio and any of the higher priced Icom radios. I use a 15.6 inch widescreen monitor. The resolution is as good as the resolution of the 756 ProII display. It would be nice if Yaesu would have designed the DMU so that the entire space on the monitor is used. There is a one and a half inch blank strip along the bottom of the screen.

All DMU screen pages have a standard heading that shows VFO A&B frequencies, operating mode, IF shift, filter, bandwidth, dual time and other handy operating indications. The world map with grey line is OK but not too exciting. The band scope is nice. Maybe not as fast as the Icom scope but definitely as useful with a few more available tricks. I like the band scope on the DMU better than the Icom scope. The audio frequency scope/oscilloscope is handy when adjusting notch, shift, width, and contour of an incoming signal and it is also useful to adjust your outgoing signal. I have not used the logbook function and probably won’t since I use my computer for the little logging I do. The SWR plotting page is fun to play with, and it gives you a “visual” of where you can go without having to retune. The volt, temp, and swr meter on this page are a nice touch. The rotor page looks cool; it has some nice features, but I don’t use a rotor so I cannot comment any further. The memory channel page looks like it would be a definite plus for those who like to use memory channels. The menu mode page is excellent. It takes all the guess work and button punching out of the somewhat cumbersome menu system of the FT-950. The fact that you can save all radio settings to the memory of the DMU is great since those settings are erased from the radio during software updates. I plan on controlling the FT-950 using Yaesu’s PCC-950 computer control program in the near future. If you are not familiar with the PCC-950 software, take a look at it, it think along with the DMU-2000, PCC-950 computer control would make a nice station setup.

The DMU-2000 is not a Ham Radio Deluxe type accessory. The DMU is nothing more than a device that will give you a visualization of the radio’s capabilities on a screen. Unless you want to change some of the default initial setup items or use the DMU logbook, a keyboard is not necessary. In fact, I did not and don’t use a keyboard at all.

I think Yaesu is behind the times with an outdated compact flash card instead of a USB flash drive as well as a parallel interface and other proprietary interface cables when using peripheral accessories in the entire Yaesu product catalog.

Final opinion. Is the DMU-2000 worth it? I think it is. The FT-950, DMU-2000, monitor and keyboard can be had for about $2300, more or less. My 756ProII cost as much six years ago. The IC-7600 costs $4000 and replaces the newer 756ProIII no longer available. I have only had the FT-950/DMU-2000 combo for a short period, but so far I like it as much as my 756ProII at comparable cost.

I hope this review puts this accessory in its proper place. 73, k0cwo

NK7J Rating: 3/5 Nov 11, 2009 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Big Swing.... and a miss  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
To be upfront, I have not owned the DMU-2000 for more than a few days.
To me this is a way overpriced accessory. I was so use to the bandscope on the Icom PRO radios I decided to add the DMU-2000 to the FT-950 to have it again. I thought it would also be nice to have the extra features the DMU claims to add.

Well...... If all you want is the bandscope, or the audio scope, or the world clock, then this is OK... Very expensive OK! I have no idea what yaesu was thinking when they did not make the plug in keyboard more usable? You would think they would make the keyboard have some actually functionality to it! Getting access to all the different screens through the band buttons on the FT-950 is just ridiculous when you have this nice keyboard plugged into it!?

This product has the capability of really making a SUPER addition to the station but yaesu missed the ball completely with its current revision. I mean how great would it be to be able to access the voice storage (with the DVS-6) or the memory keyer through they keyboard??!! Stupid me I thought the keyboard would actually serve some function...

Does it do what it they say it will do? yes.... Is it easy to use? No. If you stick to one screen then your ok... For me I wanted a bandscope and I got that but wow did I pay for it.

Maybe in the future yaesu will come out with an update and make this a great product.. Hello anyone at yaesu listening?

N0AZZ Rating: 4/5 Oct 15, 2009 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Very useful tool  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine going on 3 years and find it very useful. I use the band scope most of all and you must know how to set everything up for it to work correctly. I had a Pro3 for 9 mo and found the band scope to be to small and did like the radio because you could not customize it to fit my needs like the FT-2000D.