Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Diamond GVZ4000 Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond GVZ4000
Diamond GVZ4000 Reviews: 44 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $229.95
Description: Power Supply
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/gzv4000.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond GVZ4000.

K1WJ Rating: 2/5 Feb 20, 2016 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Birdies & Hash Anyone !?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After finding out all the Yaesu 1030 power supply at phoenix hro fans whine upon shutting down, Tried the GVZ4000 - It has some birdies and hash on 160/80/40m and less on other bands. Disconnected GVZ4000 - hooked up Astron liner birdies/hash GONE. Power adjust botton on right not lined up with hole, not centered. Will mainly use on 17m where I have found no hash yet. Not really happy, I will work around it. Would not buy knowing what I know now. Watch your switching supplies closely, operators have hash and do not test to find it is the GVZ4000!

N7IGW Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2016 19:56 Send this review to a friend
VERY QUIET  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my GVZ4000 for quite some time and has been flawless in operation. It has powered several HF rigs and a HF rig and a dual band mobile at the same time no problem and no noise fan or otherwise

Ed n7igw

KF5TOT Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2015 15:20 Send this review to a friend
Quiet  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just picked this up today and am sure glad I did. They must have improved the fans in it because this one sure is quiet. At 179 bucks there sure is alot of bang for the buck.

KB2M Rating: 2/5 Aug 8, 2014 08:23 Send this review to a friend
lot's of birdies, noisy fan  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this power supply as I needed a single supply that outputted 40 amps. I also needed front and back outputs as the operating position at my winter home is a little tight. I soon found out that the Diamond has a very noisy fan, and also some very big birdies, mostly on the 75m band around 3788 ,or right where I do most of my operating on 75m. band. Today I swapped it out for a Samlex 1235M. I still notice a few birdies on 75, but at a much much lower intensity. I think I will leave the Samlex in for the time being, and try to resolve the birdie and fan noise issue. I see that people are swapping out the fan to resolve the noise issue, but don't see a real fix for the birdies posted anywhere.
I did notice that if you adjust the power supply's output voltage you can move the birdies around,and also lower their intensity. This little trick makes them ALMOST go away but not completely. I'm surprised that no one posted that on here.

N8YQX Rating: 4/5 Jul 25, 2014 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Inexpensive, noisy power supply  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Inexpensive power supply that should be able to handle multiple rigs running simultaneously. As others have stated, the fan is quite noisy and whiny.

Pro:
-Inexpensive
-Light weight
-Plenty of current for a 100W rig, or a small amplifier

Con:
-Noisy fan (loud and annoying whine)
-Nut on power terminal doesn't come off (can't use ring terminal)
-Voltage knob wobbles

Mod:
-Replaced with a Silenx fan. Now the noise level is significantly better, although I can still hear it.

EI9KC Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2014 09:50 Send this review to a friend
noise elimination  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased 2`nd hand Diamond GVZ4000 from ML&S. Yes it is very noisy FAN. Decided to replace original fan. Took idea and suggestion from PE1NNQ review here. Changed fan for Papst 8412/N2GLE - purchased in computer shop in Germany. This is computer fan. Very very quiet. Job done in few minutes. Easy to replace. Noise is gone now ....

G4LNA Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2013 09:31 Send this review to a friend
In use for nearly a year  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
No problems at all, I was a bit worried about possible noise from it, but that seems unfounded and the PSU works fine. The fan noise is very low.

WS5J Rating: 2/5 Aug 3, 2013 08:23 Send this review to a friend
Failed after 2 weeks use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Used this power supply to supply power to a new Yaesu FT-950. After two weeks of light use it would no longer power the radio. A quick check showed that there is continuity between the positive and negative poles when off and when switched on there is only 4.3 volts output. Shorted diode? Anyway, my experience so far has been disappointing.

KM3F Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2012 22:04 Send this review to a friend
Great value and features for the cost.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great so far out of the box with no long term time..
The update is there is a meter light on this new unit from the factory.
The fan seems not to loud compaired to other units I use with fans so they may have changed that as well.
I rung it out testing a Mirage D1010 432 amplifier at 100 watts.
The 'amplifier' is a bit of a current hog on key up due to the low impedence bias circuit that keys up each time, in this model amplifier.
The point is the voltmeter needle will wiggle about it's width telling a little about how stiff the regulation response is on this peticular sudden load application.
It's acceptable as it causes no problem.
At 20 amps half capacity, there is no voltage droop.
I selected this make and model for it's capacity, features and price with 40 amp full time/45 surge capacity.
It has two seperate and different output ports on the front, one pair on the rear for high current.
I like the 5 to 15 volts output for other uses and a built in speaker for bench repair jobs..

VR2YQK Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2011 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Been used for 1 month, Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Used one month.

Steady power supply, never fail.

Back fan too noisy, so I modded by
doing a little bit drill work to take out the old fan (1st drill through the four aluminium studs, take them all off), then replace the fan with a normal computer cooling fan with a 100 ohm resistor added. Now, it is working very very quiet.

I also added a white led with a 650ohm resistor to the meter. Now I can see the meter even in darkness.

For the GZV4000 itself, it is a reliable, light weight switching power supply which you can count on.

73 de VR2YQK