Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Diamond GVZ4000 Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond GVZ4000
Diamond GVZ4000 Reviews: 44 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $229.95
Description: Power Supply

You can write your own review of the Diamond GVZ4000.

KB3RMX Rating: 3/5 May 22, 2011 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Ehh! Maybe OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this a while and needless to say it works. Only two problems I have with it is using this on an HF rig and the damn fan is loud. Bought this to use on my ft-857. Works great when up on 17 meters and above, but 20 meters and down you can here the hum of the fan in your audio. Opened it up and checked all the solder joints, everything checked out ok, grounded the unit to the house ground, still the same humming sound 20 and below. I would like to know if there's anyone out there who could tell me what I could use to replace this fan. My contacts can here it when I'm transmitting, very annoying for me and my contact. Needless to say I bought an Astron for my hf rig. I just use the Diamond on my base station 2 meter rig IC-275H. If your gonna by a power supply spend the little extra bucks and buy an ASTRON, you won't be disappointed
N2CSA Rating: 4/5 May 22, 2011 06:05 Send this review to a friend
Eats Switches  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an update to my October 2008 review. The GVZ4000 continues to provide yeoman service with one irritating habit. It requires replacement of the rocker off/on switch about every 14 months. Being economy minded (read this as cheap) I turn the supply off when the supply is not in use. So it gets use twice a day.

I must say that Diamond sent me one free of charge 14 months ago. I guess I'll see what they have to say this time.
ON3RE Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2011 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Good!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The GZV4000 is just great.
I have it 2 years now.

The gzv3000 is with a tranfo and this one is not.
The fan original is better on the gzv3000.

1.The fan is to loud.
2.No light for the meter.

I modified it myself
Noctua NF-R8 fan with resitor 105ohm
and a (5mm,320mcd,2v,20mA) led with a resistor 650ohm
check out my homepage ( for pictures.
M0VEY Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2010 02:55 Send this review to a friend
Great PSU  Time owned: more than 12 months
This psu is typical of Diamond quality. I've had the psu around 5 years & thought it was time to do a review.

Like others I replaced the original fan with a
Papst 8412/N2GLE fan . This was the icing on the cake. The psu is now real quiet & never has any issues with RF or noise on my radio.

Plenty of features, adjustable voltage, meter displaying voltage & amps drawn. Also connections at the front as well as the usual ones on the rear of the psu. Useful to have a cig lighter socket as well.

This PSU has never let me down. Usually, products that have been around over 10 years & are still available, tell you something.

The Diamond GZV4000 will be in my shack for a long time to come.

AA1ZO Rating: 3/5 Jul 31, 2009 13:21 Send this review to a friend
A good power supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a very good power supply. It does need a little help to make it perfect. The design calls for the house ground to be connected to the negative output of the supply. This is connected inside the unit in several places. This is not good. The radio ground should never be connected to the house ground. This can cause hash noise and RF squeel. Also I believe the fan is too noisy. There is an op amp that controls the speed of the motor. My unit's fan runs at the same speed all of the time, heavy load or not. I will say however that it seems to be able to handle a 40 amp load with no problem. It's nice looking too. I have corrected all of the problems with my own unit and I have to say that I am very happy with it.
N2CSA Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2008 12:03 Send this review to a friend
Great So Far  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had the good fortune to win a GZV4000 as a door prize at KJI customer appreciation weekend this past summer. It has happily been at work powering an IC-746PRO. I have not found any radio noise as is mentioned in some of the below reviews. The fan noise is obvious but less obvious than the fan in the shack PC and less obvious than the cooling fan on the Icom ID-800H. I got a Papst 8412/N2GLE fan as recommended. Yes this fan is much quieter. It is quieter because it is slower and moves fewer Cu Ft of air per minute. The GZV4000 supply is rated at 40 amps. I'm not sure reducing cooling power is all that great an idea an idea if you intend to pull 40 amps on a regular basis. Before you go replacing the cooling fan decide on your current need.
AI9Z Rating: 4/5 Sep 3, 2008 05:50 Send this review to a friend
Functional and efficient  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked this power supply up a few weeks ago from AES. I have been very pleased with this supply, no radio noise issues what so ever. Diamond could change the fan in this supply as it is a little noisy as others have stated, however it is not so loud that it distracts from operation. I notice the fan noise more when the radio is sitting on and listening for activity.
KE7FPM Rating: 2/5 Jan 18, 2008 22:49 Send this review to a friend
very noisy power suppy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought a gvz power supply in july of 07,and hooked it up to a yaesu 897.The static crashes at nite were so bad I didnt notice how noisy this supply was, but by early winter the hf bands cleared up and now I was heariing this nasty wandering heterodine kind of noise on 20 meters.When I called diamond, they said it was probably a ground loop at my staiton, so I took it to two other friends stations, and it was just as noisy on their Icoms. None of my other supplies made this noise either,so I pursued this issue with the folks at diamond. They had me send them the supply,and after using it for awhile, they could not fix the noise either, so they sent me another brand new supply. I hooked up the new one, and it made more noise than the first one!! Now after a month and a half of phone calls to them they said to ship the new one back and they will send me a check to refund my money. I will never buy another switching power supply, I am replacing it with an Astron linear. The people at Diamond were very good about this deal,but I would not suggest you buy this unit for hf operation....
OZ5ABO Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2007 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Nice PS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this for my TS480HX. Works fine with no noise on the bands. Only noise was from the factory installed fan. I replaced it with the usual Papst 8412/N2GLE which eliminated the noise in the shack. Even thoug I had to replace the fan I rate it a 5. You get a lot of power supply for the money.
WE1X Rating: 4/5 Oct 23, 2006 14:38 Send this review to a friend
Smooooth  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up this supply about 2 weeks ago. As many of the other reviewers stated it seems solid, clean, no hash, etc. However, the fan noise is unacceptable...just far too loud. Hence the "4" rating. Today I replaced the fan with a Papst 8412 N2GLE. The comparison is like night and day, black and white, frick and frack, loud and peaceful. The new fan is so quiet I have to check and see if it's really running. With the new fan I would rate it as a "5".