Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Diamond GVZ4000 Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond GVZ4000
Diamond GVZ4000 Reviews: 39 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $229.95
Description: Power Supply
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/gzv4000.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond GVZ4000.

N2CSA Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2008 12:03 Send this review to a friend
Great So Far  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had the good fortune to win a GZV4000 as a door prize at KJI customer appreciation weekend this past summer. It has happily been at work powering an IC-746PRO. I have not found any radio noise as is mentioned in some of the below reviews. The fan noise is obvious but less obvious than the fan in the shack PC and less obvious than the cooling fan on the Icom ID-800H. I got a Papst 8412/N2GLE fan as recommended. Yes this fan is much quieter. It is quieter because it is slower and moves fewer Cu Ft of air per minute. The GZV4000 supply is rated at 40 amps. I'm not sure reducing cooling power is all that great an idea an idea if you intend to pull 40 amps on a regular basis. Before you go replacing the cooling fan decide on your current need.

AI9Z Rating: 4/5 Sep 3, 2008 05:50 Send this review to a friend
Functional and efficient  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked this power supply up a few weeks ago from AES. I have been very pleased with this supply, no radio noise issues what so ever. Diamond could change the fan in this supply as it is a little noisy as others have stated, however it is not so loud that it distracts from operation. I notice the fan noise more when the radio is sitting on and listening for activity.

KE7FPM Rating: 2/5 Jan 18, 2008 22:49 Send this review to a friend
very noisy power suppy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought a gvz power supply in july of 07,and hooked it up to a yaesu 897.The static crashes at nite were so bad I didnt notice how noisy this supply was, but by early winter the hf bands cleared up and now I was heariing this nasty wandering heterodine kind of noise on 20 meters.When I called diamond, they said it was probably a ground loop at my staiton, so I took it to two other friends stations, and it was just as noisy on their Icoms. None of my other supplies made this noise either,so I pursued this issue with the folks at diamond. They had me send them the supply,and after using it for awhile, they could not fix the noise either, so they sent me another brand new supply. I hooked up the new one, and it made more noise than the first one!! Now after a month and a half of phone calls to them they said to ship the new one back and they will send me a check to refund my money. I will never buy another switching power supply, I am replacing it with an Astron linear. The people at Diamond were very good about this deal,but I would not suggest you buy this unit for hf operation....

OZ5ABO Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2007 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Nice PS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this for my TS480HX. Works fine with no noise on the bands. Only noise was from the factory installed fan. I replaced it with the usual Papst 8412/N2GLE which eliminated the noise in the shack. Even thoug I had to replace the fan I rate it a 5. You get a lot of power supply for the money.

WE1X Rating: 4/5 Oct 23, 2006 14:38 Send this review to a friend
Smooooth  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up this supply about 2 weeks ago. As many of the other reviewers stated it seems solid, clean, no hash, etc. However, the fan noise is unacceptable...just far too loud. Hence the "4" rating. Today I replaced the fan with a Papst 8412 N2GLE. The comparison is like night and day, black and white, frick and frack, loud and quiet....no peaceful. The new fan is so quiet I have to check and see if it's really running. With the new fan I would rate it as a "5".

NT1N Rating: 2/5 Jun 13, 2006 10:32 Send this review to a friend
noise and more noise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up one of these a couple of months ago new from HRO-Salem. I was attracted by the high output (40amp), light weight, attractive styling, internal speaker and reasonable price ($179.95). Tried it for about 10 days and discovered, in addition to a distractingly loud fan that runs constantly, that it put out RF "birdies" of varying strength (up to S-9!) approximately every 60 kHz on the 75/80 meter band. Yes, I tried grounding it, to no avail. Main transceivers here are an Icom 765 and an Orion II. HRO-Salem was great as usual and took it back with no problem. Diamond has a generally good reputation but they certainly didn't live up to it with this product. BTW, I am now evaluating the MFJ 40 amp switcher. It has a similar fan problem (runs constantly but not quite as noisy as the Diamond) and has its 40amp takeoff on the FRONT of the unit (which seems rather dumb to me) but so far I have noticed NO RF birdies or hash from it, plus it was about $35 cheaper.

PE1NNQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2006 15:44 Send this review to a friend
one minor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi all. This powersupply works great. Very stable output at full load. No RF noise found so far (owner for 2 months). One minor, is the fan noice. I changed the fan for a Papst 8412/N2GLE 14 euro computer case cooler. Perfect fit, easy to solder in, hole operation took me only 15 minutes. When it is turned on and working with full load, the only thing you hear is your own breath. PERFECT !!! Diamond: why did you use this fan? Greatings and hope to work you all.

73s ... Arjan

KC2EIW Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2005 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Rock Solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this power supply to power my Kenwood TS-480HX. I frequently run 200W for extended periods pushing this bulletproof PS to the very limit, 40-41 amps. Haven't had a problem in over 1 year. RF quiet and never even gets warm. Fan noise could be less but it's not annoying to me. This is a classy looking piece of equipment that looks great in the shack.

KC2EIW/TG9IIW
Dennis

KC9CWB Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2005 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Good Supply  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A good supply with an attractive lit meter. I run my Icom 706 MKIIG and it has enough capacity to add a second radio. No problems after 8 months of use.

OZ1GCT Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2005 23:22 Send this review to a friend
Great powersupply  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Really good powersupply except for the noise from
the original fan (a very cheap fan)
I changed it with a noiseless PAPST fan and it is
a different experience now.