Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-5A Help

Reviews Summary for N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-5A
N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-5A Reviews: 22 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $250
Description: This is a QRQ paddle with short lightweight aluminum arms, magnetic tension, ball bearing movement, quick adjusting contacts and magnets. No locking nuts.
More info: http://www.n3znkeys.com

You can write your own review of the N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-5A.

N2DE Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2007 15:42 Send this review to a friend
The Z06 of Paddles  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Corvette Z06 that is. If Begali builds the Ferraris of the CW world, then this is the best that American high-performance engineering has to offer.

Like the best of todayís paddles, the ZN-5A uses the design paradigm of minimizing the moving masses. Carbon fiber finger pieces are mounted on very short aluminum arms, which weigh in at a fraction of an ounce - no lumbering dead weight here. The arms have the ideal near 1:1 geometry and revolve around high-quality racing bearings. Gold plated contacts with a silver core resist oxidation and make sure that even the lightest touch is translated into a reliable contact closure. Repelling magnets, mounted very close to the pivot, provide a consistent return force. The adjustments are locked in place with set screws and won't fluctuate with tempeature or time.

In actual use this paddle is right up there with the very best. Whether you are coasting along on Easy Street at 55 cpm or you are racing it at the highest speed that your fingers can muster, this paddle will not let you down. Even if youíre not a speed demon (yet), itís nice to know that the paddle youíre driving will never be the limiting factor.

Dealing with Tony is an absolute pleasure, and he will bend over backwards to make sure that you're happy with your purchase.

WA3QWT Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2007 06:17 Send this review to a friend
Paddle exceeds expectations!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My xyl graciously presented Tony'e Model 5A paddle to me as an anniversary present (ok, I admidt, she had a few hints in advance!).

I must say that the key exceeded my expectations. The product screams quality from the initial "out of box" impression, which only continues to grow with use. Accurately setting close contact spacing and tension literally takes seconds, without instruction. Sending becomes more of an extension of the mind and less of a mechanical interface. The only downside if that I can't blame the paddle anymore when I botch a character.

This is a great CW instrument.....

N6KJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2007 14:31 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What a huge improvement over my old Bencher Paddle. The action is smooth. It stays adjusted the way I want. It doesn't move around the table. All of the things I was hoping to improve upon over my bencher have been achieved. It is a very nice looking paddle as well.

WA4D Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2007 17:44 Send this review to a friend
CW fades with grace  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Now that code is optional for FCC licensing, the art of CW will slowly fade away. If you want to renew your CW skills, diversify your key collection or just give yourself a classy gift that epitomizes the purity of the mode.....then the ZN5A Key is one way to go.

Built with machine grade components and elegant in it's simplicity, the ZN5A is almost transparent when properly set up.

Personally I can only copy 22wpm (with full accuracy) and send "clean fist" at around 20wpm. The flawless silky smoothe action and near silent mechanics of the ZN-5A makes me feel better than I am. Perhaps it's an illusion. Illusion or not, I'm enjoying this finely crafted instrument that is a tribute to a dying art.

JA3BKP Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2007 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic! ZN-5A paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had use 20 or more paddles since started ham radio. The ZN-5A becomes the best favorite paddle. It's a great finished and has fantastic touch for keying.I'll use it forever.
Thank you very much Tony.

KJ5XF Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2007 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Nice paddle!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using the paddle for about 2 days now and so far, I am VERY impressed. I have several iambic paddles in my collection (Begali, Schurr, Hensley, etc) and this one ranks up there with them. For the current price, it's a GOOD DEAL!

Tony is also very easy to do business with, and
he delivered within the timeframe that he originally mentioned.

W2UP Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2007 03:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the ZN-5A for about a month now. I got the all-brass model and it's a pleasure to look at - very nice, smooth finish. I also like the warm feel of the wood fingerpieces.

I put it through its paces at QRQ and it functions flawlessly - well almost (see below.) The spacing can be set very tight and it stays put.

The only VERY minor issue I have is I like my paddle to be rock solid with no movement whatsoever (I've been using a Begali Graciella for a few years, so I'm comparing to perfection.) The ZN moves very slightly because of some flex in the rubber footpieces. I talked with Tony about this and he was very pleasant and accomodating, and even send me some shorter footpieces to try. Only problem was the short footpieces didn't provide enough clearance for the cable clamp on the the bottom, so we're back to the originals.

In summary, if decimals were available, I'd give the paddle a 4.95 for the minor footplate wobble. However, I AM very pleased with the ZN-5A. It's nice to look at, has a small footprint, and is a great value considering it's half the price of the Graciella.

W0DC Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2007 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tony has come up with a great new design. It looks beautiful, has a substantial base, and the feel is wonderful.

N6DT Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2007 21:04 Send this review to a friend
Best Ever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Best key ever! After 51 yrs of ham radio, I finally found an outstanding key for a modest CW operator. It has improved my sending skills. Tony was a joy to wrk with, and it is affordable.

Don
N6DT

PS It is the heighth of form and function

NG6X Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2007 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Super  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I upgraded from an older version ZN-1A to this 5A. It is higher, has a smaller footprint, and beautiful looks. The feel is very light and spacing can be set very close. Allows for very fast operation with little or no fatigue. Thanks Tony for a very nice product.