Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Radio Works Super Loop III Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Works Super Loop III
Radio Works Super Loop III Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $129
Description: high performance, full size, full-wave, 80 meter loop antenna
More info: http://www.radioworks.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Works Super Loop III.

K4ELO Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2011 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Very good antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using the Super Loop for a few months now. Also have a W5GI and a homebrew full size 40M delta loop. This antenna usually beats both of them. I can't get it very high, 43' at the top so I had to slope it about 45 degrees to clear the driveway at the bottom.

It does perform well. First night I tried it, I broke a pileup on 40M getting a ZS6 on the first call. Typical stateside reports are S9 +10 to +20 but I am running a kw amp.

Several of my friends run homebrew versions of this antenna and they are very happy with the performance.

If you run an amp, you will want to put an rf choke just under the balun. I used about 25' of coax wound around a plastic pitcher. No more rfi.

K4ELO

AB4KJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2011 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Solid antenna  Time owned: months
I purchased this antenna a couple months ago. It was fairly straight forward to install. I have mine hung between two trees with the base up around 45 feet. The construction appears to be of solid quality and it performs well on 40 and 80. Really have not tried it on 20 or other bands. It does appear to have lower noise than my dipoles due to its front to back ratio. I would recommend it.

WC4R Rating: 2/5 Dec 11, 2008 17:22 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed, again  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice antenna for a week.
Good antenna overall but the weak point is the 4:1 balun - useless. It is rated at 1500w PEP but didn't hold up for more than a week of occasional use. The same thing happened to me with the line isolator on their Carlina Windom 2 years ago.
I plan to home brew my own balun.

WA4JUK Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2006 18:55 Send this review to a friend
works very well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the Super Loop for several years. I have found that it is the best wire antenna that I have ever used. I have been licensed as a ham mostly CW for over 40 years. This antenna is firstly reliable and simple. I enjoy experimenting with wire antennas even though I am not technical I just know it works and it works well. It is not a beam and it is not advertised as one.The 2005 IARU HF contest I finished in the top 10 low power NA where all 80 and 40 qso's were on the loop.

N4LCD Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2005 06:16 Send this review to a friend
If you're considering a wire antenna, just go ahead and buy it.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had a Radio Works SuperLoop 80 up for about 4 months. I'm very pleased with it compared to the 135' dipole which it replaced.

The limited tuning range internal tuner in my Icom 756 Pro II has enough range to match this antenna on all bands, 10 through 80. Very convenient.

I have it strung between two trees. The dedicated matching unit is only about 20' off the ground, yet it still works very well.

Broadside is north and south, yet it works amazingly well East and West off the ends.

I'm in Georgia and was able to easily bust through pileups, barefoot, during the Washington state contest, and Washington state is approximately in line with the wire. This is one amazing wire antenna.

I have one minor and simple to do recommendation. As soon as you get the antenna and before you put it up, while the wire is still bright copper, solder the twisted wire near the insulators on each end so that the wires don't inadvertently untwist during a strong wind. This happened to me but was my fault because I had the dacron line tied securely so there was some, but not enough give. I now use a weight on one line as I should have done initially.

www.N4LCD.com

K3MD Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2005 20:17 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had the Super Loop 80 up 7 months with the apex at 50 feet, the bottom of the ladder line at 20 feet, and the ends at 20 feet and 12 feet, self-supporting tower. I run it N/S for DX contests and E/W for domestic contests. This is the best 80/40 antenna I have owned since having an 3L 40 meter beam at 100 feet. DX comes back almost universally on the first call. Finding and holding a frequency on 40 CW in the contest is no problem at all. I was really amazed at the performance of the antenna. It is 1/1 on CW section of 80 and 40 without a tuner, tunes SSB no problem with a tuner. I have had all kinds of delta loop arrays in the past that did NOT work. Highly recommended!

W6KAP Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2002 01:42 Send this review to a friend
This is a super wire antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This antenna is easy to install as long as you have two high supports. Mine is mounted about 70 feet up in two pine trees. I have used it for about a year on all bands using a Dentron tuner, a 1970 Swan 500CX and Swan 1200 amp, as well as my Icom 706MkIIG barefoot. Most operating has been on 40 and 20 meters. European stations commonly respond on the first call on 20. On 80 and 40, my 706 gets great reports across the US. I've used the antenna also on 6 meters, but having no beam to compare to, I'm not convinced it works too well there. My location is on a ridge in the Sierras at 1000 meters. I've previously had a 4 element 20 meter monobander at a different hilltop location, and I get out just about as well with this wire, although I miss the ability to evade QRM that a beam allows. I highly recommend this antenna as a way of getting active on all HF bands. If you add a beam later, this antenna will continue to perform well on 80 and 40.

AE4NR Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2000 10:00 Send this review to a friend
BEST WIRE I EVER PUT UP  Time owned: unknown months
I have been on the air for more than 12 years and hve tried just about every configuration imiginable with wire antenna's.The Radio Works Super Loop 3 is by far the easiest delta loop to get up that I have ever put between two trees
it is designed for 10-80 and although I use a tuner to get its swr down to a workable range,and
it seems to tune really easy through my mfj 949e
I have had trouble with other wires tuning through
this tuner,This antenna is great on 80-10 worked both in close and dx and changing between it and the g5rv, consistently got better readings from the loop over the G5RV by 2 s units on the norm
both on close in work and dx easy to pu up and it performs very well up at 40 feet between two trees 125 feet apart if ya got room this is a great antenna