Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Linear Amp UK Ranger 811K Help

Reviews Summary for Linear Amp UK Ranger 811K
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Manual Linear amp kit providing 600-800Watts sitting happy at UK legal limits of 400w.

You can write your own review of the Linear Amp UK Ranger 811K.

M0GER Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2008 10:49 Send this review to a friend
easy to built  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got an unbuilt kit at a local rally for about 400. Everything was supplied and the the instructions were very clear. I took about4 hours from start to finish. I dropped a tube during the process of course but other than that I had no problems.

The 811 valve is a cheap robust valve and can easily be found at rallies for about a tenner. After finishing and double checking I fired the amp up and there were no surprises. The amplifier was ready to go after two seconds. 800 watts (780W on 10m) into a dummy load. 2 hours of RTTY and the amplifier did not drop power and never ran hot.

It's nice to look at and very easy to tune up. It replaced my older Ameritron 811A. I didn't buy the Ranger because I needed 200W more output (who does??), I simply liked the idea of building it myself. The only thing I don't like is the rather noisy fan. I try and squeeze a better fan out of the AMP UK Guys. Other than that: great amp and the fact that a manufacturer still offers a kit these days can only be applauded.

G3VCQ Rating: 4/5 Apr 3, 2007 08:06 Send this review to a friend
A medium powered amp. Easy to build and good value for money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one and built one (I have to say I did get a little advice from Peter and his XYL Gwynn from time to time but built it over a 3/4 weeks in my spare time, it worked no problem and with a little tweak here and there was soon up and running on air! We got two at the same time one for me and one for the club as a little project to get stuck into - again the club members enjoyed building it and using it (2E0TWS and M1ERS) had a little mishap with the Anode choke and a new set of valves were needed but other than this no problem! This has been used on several occasions now as we are an active club. Seen in the picture at GB5RND our charity station for Red Nose Day. I would not say this is ideal for long contest work (IOTA etc) unless you swap the valves for something a little more hardy such as 4 x 572B's as 811's are not renowned for their ability to maintain high power for long periods. Nothing to do but swap the valves over although they cost a bit more they will stand the pace!
Overall this is an excellent kit with fairly easy to follow pictures and suggested method of building but a little previous RF building experience will come in handy this is one I would recommend you do try at home!
73 Colin G3VCQ

PS I have since upgraded my amp to the Explorer (1KW) which is even more comfortable ticking along at our max limit of 400w.