Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | FlexRadio FLEX-5000 Help

Reviews Summary for FlexRadio FLEX-5000
FlexRadio FLEX-5000 Reviews: 104 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $2799
Description: The FLEX-5000 is the next generation of software defined radios which now integrates all A/D & D/A functions and control over a single FireWire (IEEE-1394a) connection to a user provided computer running PowerSDR. A separate sound card is not required.
Features:
* Greater than 105 dB two-tone 3rd order dynamic range at 2 kHz spacing
* Frequency Stability: 0.5 ppm, TCXO equipped
* Individual optimized bandpass filters for all Ham Bands
* Receiver can monitor transmitter spectrum
* SO2R ready with optional second receiver
* FlexWire™ for external control of rotator, antenna, and much more.
* 100 watts output 160-6 meters
* General coverage receiver
* Separate RX antenna connectors for optimal reception
* Optional full performance second receiver (dual watch is standard)
* Single cable connection to computer
* Full Duplex transverter ready
* Fully automatic internal test/calibration. No external calibration equipment necessary
* Standard input/output jacks. Internal antenna switching for up to 3 antennas plus receive only antenna
* Balanced TRS line/microphone input
* Full QSK
* Quiet high volume fan keeps unit cool
* Optional full featured ATU 160-6m
More info: http://support.flex-radio.com/Downloads.aspx?id=148

You can write your own review of the FlexRadio FLEX-5000.

N5LB Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2016 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Wow!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the 5000 for a couple of years and not only is it a fine rig in all respects, it rejuvenated my interest in HF. I in it on CW mostly and find it does a very good job for my operating style. Now K9NS has been releasing revisions to the Flex PSDR software adding many new, and useful functions. For example, the spots appear with call signs on the panadapter if desired instantly giving you frequency and country. Very cool!

W8NVC Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2016 15:38 Send this review to a friend
WOW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm new to SDR, Last year I had briefly used a Jupiter and I could not get past the cheepo knobs. It reminded me of a toy from Hasbro. But it was a nice radio indeed. Then recently I bought the first run of the New Icom Ic-7300 I was impressed.
And over the years I have owned many Hf radios. Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu even Alinco. The nicest Regular Hf radio I own now is a Yaesu Ft-2000 with the Data management unit and I Just love it. So here is my story.
For just about a year or so my buddy has owned a Flex 5000A. Hes swears it's the best Receiver hes has ever had. He buys and sells ham equipment for a hobby slash money maker, so he gets the chance to try alot of radios, Not just try them, He uses them like a car dealer tossing a dealer plate on a car and takes it off the lot for however long he wants, in other words, he knows whats good and whats not. So I have been tossing it around just like you guys. I've heard all the hype and heard them on the air many many times. Ya The Flex radios are nice but you need a balls out computer to run it and, lets face it, it's complicated and expensive But, I got past that. This past week, I took the plunge. I got one that has the tuner and the second Rx. It blew me away. The receiver is so quiet It's still blowing my mind. I wish I would have done it sooner. The only thing better would be SEX. Thank you Flex radio. Yes I'm behind the times but, you can bet your ARS I will stay with this one. I'm hearing stations without listening fatigue. It is UNREAL.
Yes after all is said and done, The radio, The computer, The change.. It's worth it all.
73 from Nick W8NVC IN CLEVELAND OHIO

DJ3MQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2015 09:27 Send this review to a friend
Flwex 5000 with Win 10  Time owned: more than 12 months
One of my best radios ,
running with an Texas Instruments Chip Set
and a firewire Gold cable. Last week i change from Win 7 to Win 10 .
Everthing is ok , no further problems .
In resume , change to win 10 and the radio
is running the next 10 years or longer .
And dont spend thousends of Dollars for the
6000 familie , samtimes i think it´s not
a computer equipment when i look to the price ,
its a barrel of Gold , hi.

73 from Germany

KK4IBG Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2015 17:56 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC Radio I just bought a second 5000a  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love the Radio and have been using one for about 3 years now , I had a devastating fire in my house and lost everything my flex was in the fire and under water. I was able to clean it and got it somewhat running , then the Fine people at flex radio heard about what happened and sent me a shipping label. they went thru it and fixed it, cleaned it, for free, then sent it back to me .
it works great. Thank you flex radio for all your help . Just recently I bought another 5000a loaded and I plan on giving the other one to my dad , he will love it . The bottom line is not only does this radio perform like a dream but the company stands behind their products and goes above and beyond expectations. I am a customer for life.
Robert Albo KK4IBG

AB4D Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2015 09:04 Send this review to a friend
Good SDR  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a Flex 5000a with the sub receiver and tuner for a couple of years now. It works very well for SSB. It's a very versatile rig with many adjustments that allows the operator to create a rig that is truly their own. Performance wise, it compares favorably with my other top end rigs, and cost is significantly less. On the used market, IMO it is the best bargain in amateur radio today, less than $2000.

Although it is very good, nothing is perfect, and this rig is no exception. There are some known quirks with the 5000a. One has to understand, the computer does most of the heavy lifting, and the components used to pass data between the Flex and the computer are somewhat critical. The Flex 5000a uses FireWire 400 architecture to pass data. I found the factory FireWire cable was insufficient. I experienced operability issues when trying to use that cable. A replacement cable from Granite Digital resolved those issues. The FireWire card is just as critical, and certain chipsets work better than others.

The S/RF meter in the 5000 also leaves a bit to be desired. The output meter is not very accurate when using SSB, definitely average reading, not peak. The 5000a is voltage sensitive, anything less than 13.8 volts, and power output drops significantly. I note, there is a voltage drop using the factory cable on the Flex 5000a. Utilizing the onboard voltage meter, it showed about 8 tenths of a volt drop from the power source, in relation to what was reported by power SDR. 2.7.2. Other operators have also noted latency issues when using CW, something to consider if you are a serious CW operator.

Another issue I have is not so much with the radio, but with Flex as a company. There have been instances when they have not always followed through with what they say, or announced production schedules have not been met. As an example, when Flex Radio announced that the Flex 5000a was being phased out of production, they also stated that development and improvement of Power SDR would continue. However, there hasn't been any additional work done on that platform. I recently asked Gerald Youngblood, if any additional work is planed for Power SDR, and his response was, "Power SDR is a mature product". Therefore, no additional development is forth coming. My only concern, if there comes a time when Power SDR won't function with a newer OS, will Flex step up and provide a patch.

In retrospect, I would still make the purchase again. It's still a unique transceiver that offers an operating experience that is significantly different than any knobbed radio.

NS5F Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2015 09:30 Send this review to a friend
A Truly Amazing Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Since I'm retired living on a limited budget, I had to wait a while for a good used affordable FLEX to come my way. I'm using a nice pre-owned Flex 5000A complete with the 2nd receiver and ATU running on a spare Intel Duo-Core 4gig "Win XP" computer I had laying around. I base my opinion on the many rigs I've owned in the last 45+ years of ham radio including Collins, National, Drake, Kenwood, Yeasu, and most recently an Icom 756 Pro II.

First impression...
I am blown away with the receiver and it's amazing ability to dig signals out of the muck. Plus the 2nd receiver allows me the benefits of real diversity reception. It's true, SDR is a "trip down the rabbit hole" where with a simple mouse click you can custom change a filter width and skirt on the fly to eliminate QRM. Interference from a station above you? Just drag the upper filter limit down to where the station goes away..Very easy and very effective.

Regarding transmit quality..
As a former Chief Engineer and current audio processing consultant for AM and FM broadcast stations, my expectations for transmit audio are higher than the norm. With the FLEX I've found the on-board Transmit DSP allows for a decent amount of tailoring the audio to your voice. It gives you the ability to correct EQ issues with up to 10 bands of graphic equalization which along with a nice leveling amplifier and downward keying expander helps you maximize talk power without hearing everything going on in the house. If that's not enough for you, the balanced 600 ohm line level input is a major plus for adding professional out-board gear for even more control over your "sonic signature". Plus you can easily adjust the bandwidth of your transmitted signal on any voice mode with just a single click of the mouse.

My operation style is average I'd suppose. I'm a rag-chewer, a casual contester, I dabble in digital modes, enjoy operating legacy modes such as AM or CW and SSB. In all situations I've found this FLEX exceeds my expectations.

Even though this model is no longer in production I HIGHLY recommend the 5000 for someone who wants an exceptional value in SDR. There is one caveat. If you are not comfortable with and don't have a basic understanding of computers, then SDR and the FLEX are probably not for you. But if you come across a nice used 5000 at an affordable price, BUY IT...73 NS5F

W4PGM Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2015 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Excelent Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Flex-5000 V/U for a number of years. This year it developed a problem that required service. The service was performed quickly and the charges were more than fair. This company is dedicated to customer service. While the 5000 was out I picked up a 6300 an I am amazed at the performance. It will be hard to go back to the 5000.

KA1API Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2015 09:43 Send this review to a friend
A Bargain  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a Flex 5000A with ATU. Over the years, I have had the Flex 1000, 1500, 3000, 6500 and 6300 (as well as pretty much every other rig except for the TS-990). The 5000A is probably the biggest bargain rig you can buy right now. Once the 6000 series was announced, prices on the "older" Flex rigs began to drop.

The 5000 has a top notch receiver with excellent filtering, and it is still near the top of the Sherwood receiver list. The filter goes down to 25 Hz with no ringing, and no additional filters to buy. The receiver is nice and quiet and I can listen to it all day.

I have had excellent results on CW. There is no latency when used with a newer computer. The TR switching is by a relay, but with a 60 ms delay setting, I am able to get a good balance and can hear between characters. I am using an Intel I3 computer that cost around $400 so it is nothing special.

I just got a $20 firewire card and installed it in my computer, plugged the 5000A into it, installed the PowerSDR software, and I was on the air and making Phone and CW contacts, complete with integration with Ham Radio Deluxe. The microphone jack supports the standard Yaesu 8-pin connector so I am able to use my existing microphone set up. I have gotten great reports on Phone too. You can get on all the digital modes without having to buy an external interface.

Once you have experienced using the panadapter, with point and click tuning and being able to see all the signals on the band, you won't be able to go back to other rigs. PowerSDR software is very mature and doesn't crash - and it is free. Please note that even without the second receiver (RX2), PowerSDR supports listening to two frequencies on the same band, which is very helpful in pileups. You can have the DX station in one ear and watch/listen to the other stations in the other ear.

Not that you need it, but to help you transition from knobbed rigs to SDR, there is the FlexControl knob. It allows you to control the VFO, Volume, RIT and other aspects of the rig.

The 5000A fan runs nearly silently too so you can have it right at your operating position. There is a great support network if you need any help. If you've been on the fence about trying SDR, now is the time to give it a try!

W0KH Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2015 07:55 Send this review to a friend
Case removal   Time owned: more than 12 months
Flex 5000A

Ive owned this transceiver now since June 2011
I never had a problem with it. I rate it at a 5 plus.

Today I'm trying to figure out how to remove the case to oil the fan, but I don't see a easy way?

Maybe someone knows the answer.

The manual does not indicate the procedure for case removable.

W4PGM Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2014 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Repair Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
My V of the V/U went deaf. The repair was fast and economical and while it was on the bench I had the remote start installed. The total bill was less that $300 of which most was the remote start and shipping.