Reviews Categories | QSL printers; callsign badge engravers; etc. | VI-CON QSL's Help

Reviews Summary for VI-CON QSL's
VI-CON QSL's Reviews: 11 Average rating: 2.3/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Specialist in full-color photo QSL cards. Apparently no longer in business.
More info: http://cheapqsl.amtak.eu

You can write your own review of the VI-CON QSL's.

KC0W Rating: 0/5 Oct 25, 2003 01:53 Send this review to a friend
The worst!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I reviewed VI-CON three years ago and gave them a CHARITABLE rating of "3".

Now I see that they are out of business (I wonder why!!!) and along with that goes my master negative that they used for my cards. Not that I was ever going to order from them again, but it would have been nice if they would have at least sent my negative back to me before they went under. I would have been more than glad to pay for it.

I wish the owner of VI-CON luck if he ever starts another printing business......He will need it judging by all the reviews of his last effort printing QSL's.

Tom KCW

K2UT Rating: 3/5 Oct 11, 2002 18:30 Send this review to a friend
Nice cards, so-so customer service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had ordered one set of cards with VI-CON several years ago. They were a little slow arriving, but looked great. After I moved (more on that later) and got a better station on the air, I had a desperate need for really nice cards. VI-CON had done a good job before, so I turned to them again.

Placed the order and waited the specified amount of time. No cards. Called and was told they were busy, but would do them "very soon." Phone calls weren't returned, which was really frustrating. I finally called and threatened to sue over the cards... they had no problem billing my credit card, but couldn't deliver.

Here's where it gets interesting. While leaving my rant on the answering machine, the owner picked up the phone and tried to calm me down. "What do you mean you didn't get them? We shipped a couple weeks ago!" Yeah, they shipped, but TO THE WRONG ADDRESS! They had me in their computer from the first order (prior to my move). He printed the cards with the old address and shipped them there. Let's ignore the fact that I provided a new address on my order and gave them the new address for billing me. His suggestion? See if the people who bought our other house might still have the cards.

He immediately re-printed the cards with the right info and got them to me in about two weeks. They look great and are of high quality, but the whole experience soured me. I have cards from other printers, and they are what I use instead of VI-CON's.

KG6OK Rating: 0/5 Oct 31, 2001 00:06 Send this review to a friend
VI-CON is TERRIBLE  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My experience with VI-CON is one of a total complete lack of satisfation. We ordered QSL cards from Dave and waited more than 6 MONTHS for the cards. He was terrible with his follow up, and I alway felt he was giving me one bull sh#t story after another while we waited. I even asked him specifically what he was planning to do to make up for the continuious delay after delay, and he would just say "hang in there" and never answer my questions directly.

He was recommended by a ham friend, but I can tell you that I would NEVER EVER EVER use him again. He is totally unreliable, doesn't deliver what he promises, and his quality is far less than what I expected. He never offered to compensate or adjust the cost of my order, even after making us wait for over 6 months for the QSL cards. I avoided flaming him on the various reflectors, while I was waiting for the cards, as I was concerned that I might never see the cards if I did. Now that I have them, I don't care.

I would strongly recommend you find another source for your cards.

W1YY Rating: 0/5 Jun 5, 2001 18:47 Send this review to a friend
A bad experience with VI-CON  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a dreadful experience with VI-CON recently. They sent me 2000 cards that were, to put it charitably, unusable. The photo side was so dark that the image was virtually undecipherable. Dave at VI-CON claimed it was the image, the vagaries of the color reproduction process, etc., etc. -- everything but poor workmanship. I had some difficulty accepting Dave's excuses, since the image was fine from a technical viewpoint (I believe I am qualified to make that statement, since my photography is handled by 3 professional agencies, published in magazines, calendars, postcards, corporate annual reports, etc.) and since the exact same transparency was subsequently turned into a spectacular QSL card by QSLSHOP in Germany.

But even worse was Dave's disinterest in satisfying the customer by trying to make it right. His unresponsiveness was both unimaginable and upsetting, since the product was so poor that no one with any pride in his or her work would have sent such a product to a customer.

In the end I had to throw all of the cards away and moved my business to QSLSHOP.

Jim W1YY

KC1YR Rating: 1/5 May 7, 2001 08:19 Send this review to a friend
Good cards, poor customer service and orders can take forever  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used to use VI-CON for all my DX-pedition cards, since they seemed to be the printer doing custom photo cards with the best prices.

My last experience with them was in 1997, so please understand that this information may be quite out-of-date. However, that experience was so unpleasant that I will never use them again.

I placed my order, and it took weeks and weeks and weeks. When VI-CON was finally ready to ship my order, there was the UPS strike, and another delay -- granted that wasn't their fault, but the initial delays were. Getting answers about the status of my order was a chore.

When I finally got my cards, most of them had streaks through the photo. To their credit, VI-CON did agree to reprint the cards at no additional cost, but of course that was a further delay as my DX-pedition direct QSLs were piling up.

After all that, a friend noticed what I hadn't -- there was a typo in my address on the card.

They may have fixed all these problems in the past four years, but I'm not planning to use my own personal money to find out.

KC0W Rating: 3/5 Nov 13, 2000 00:29 Send this review to a friend
OK, if you want to wait.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have ordered 5 cards twice from VI-CON....The two things I don't like about VI-COM are:

1. They don't produce "glossy" cards.
2. You will wait a LONG TIME to receive them!

But then again, there are not many company's offering custom made QSL cards. This should be no reason for their SLOW turn around time, though.

You can see my VI-CON produced card & judge for yourself on the QRZ callsign lookup site. Enter kcw.

AA7X Rating: 3/5 Sep 16, 2000 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Nice Cards  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used Vi-Con to print up QSL's for a recent DXpedition to the British Virgin Islands. The interface with them was very easy...I submitted the order including my photo for the QSL completely electronically via e-mail. The cards that ultimately came are very nice.

The only problem is the time that it took to receive the cards. Instead of the advertised 3-4 weeks, it was over 3 months. I contacted Dave at Vi-Con several times via e-mail for status reports and he was very prompt in his replies..the problem being that his time estimate for shipping was always very optimistic. The only other issue that I have is that they do not send an electronic "proof" back for review. The first time you see the card is when the entire order shows up on your doorstep.

I would use Vi-Con again. They deliver a good product. Just don't be in a hurry.

N6DE Rating: 4/5 Sep 7, 2000 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Quality Custom Cards  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have placed four orders over the past 1.5 years with VI-CON. Mostly, the quality on all four has been superb. I have submitted a combination of negatives and digital images to VI-CON for the front side, and they all turned out stunningly well! As for the back side, there have been no errors or typos, but the one time that I submitted a digital file for the back side design, the text brightness on some areas of that card appeared faded compared with the rest of the text. I don't know if this was a problem with the file I submitted to them. Otherwise, my back side designs on paper were well translated.

Yes, VI-CON has slipped a few weeks on some of my orders, but they always quickly answered my e-mail inquiries. I prefer quality custom QSL cards over prompt generic cards, so the delays were never a big issue for me.

KH7YD Rating: 3/5 May 24, 2000 21:42 Send this review to a friend
Good quality...Lengthy service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What can I say... I finally received the cards and am satisfied with the quality. If they could only do the job in 3 weeks as promised I would have given it a 5. It took them 4 months. The owner apologized though, so no hard feelings.

NI6G Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2000 15:27 Send this review to a friend
VI-CON: Excellent For Me  Time owned: unknown months
This summary is not meant to diminish the comments of the very first reviewer. I personally had a good experience with VI-CON. Granted, my order was two years ago. At that time, they got my cards out in a timely fashion without any problems whatsoever. I had several custom requests for typeface and colors which they followed to my exact specification. They reproduced a picture of my 2 meter moonbounce array and it turned out beautifully.