Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Drake MN-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Drake MN-2000
Drake MN-2000 Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $250.00
Description: HF Antenna Tuner
More info: http://www.dproducts.be/drake_museum/mn-2000.htm

You can write your own review of the Drake MN-2000.

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2016 14:47 Send this review to a friend
Update   Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this drake mn2000 antenna matching network (antenna tuner) for about 6 or more years now & it's been good enough for when needed. Truthfully speaking I haven't used a antenna tuner in a long time , not the internal or external. Antennas are all matched up for the bands without tuner, but like I mentioned when I did use it & if & when needed it performs as supposed to. The construction & quality is great. To get into it you have to remove a few screws on the outer casing , than slide that casing off the main casing unit where you will see more screws & that's where it will open up & you can get a good look @ what's in there. It's basically a few screws & sliding off the first outer case, it works on 12m & 17m also. Stay on 10m position for 12m & stay on 15m position for 17m. I still have this unit & don't plan on parting with it. It's a quality built unit.

KZ4B Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2016 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Superb Looks & Efficiency--But Limited Matching Range  Time owned: more than 12 months
We bought this great looking tuner to match our equally nice Drake L4-B Amplifier.

It was immediately obvious that the tuner circuit "Q" was exceptionally high because both Resistive and Reactive Capacitor Adjustments were very "touchy" relative to many/most other tuners. This "touchiness" indicates (desirably) high tuner efficiency (less power loss through the tuner). However, this High "Q" Condition comes with "Relatively Low SWR Bandwidth" requiring relatively more frequent tuner re-adjustments associated with frequency changes within a given band. This is an inconvenience, but a small price to pay for such high efficiency.

The above-mentioned Hi "Q" Condition plus relatively small L & C Reactance Values (associated with tuner design practice of the MN-2000's vintage) result in a narrower Low-SWR Tuning Range than you find in most newer vintage tuners. The above-referenced "Vintage Design Practice" to limit component reactance values was to allow wider (higher voltage breakdown rating) capacitor plate spacing and larger inductor coil wire/tube diameter (ampacity) therefore Power-handling Capacity while limiting overall physical size. See the Review Comments of K9MHZ (dated Jan. 13, 2011) for more info regarding this Tuning Bandwidth Issue.

As ham gear generated television inter-ferance (TVI) was a major issue back when the MN-2000 Tuner was designed--it was installed in a double shield/enclosure. More modern tuners are normally installed only in a single enclosure. To open the tuner--- ALL screws on the bottom of the Outer Black Steel Enclosure must be removed. Slide the Bright-aluminum Inner Enclosure out of the back of the Black Steel Outer Enclosure. The (obvious) screws around the outside of the Bright-aluminum Inner Enclosure may now be removed to access the inside of the Inner Enclosure. This will answer W5FZ's question in his Review dated Feb. 18, 2014 regarding how to open the MN-2000 Tuner.

In my own case, since I am using multiple hi-power rigs on a single non-resonant G5RV-type antenna on 160 thru 10 meters--the MN-2000 is not flexible enough for my needs (So I replaced it with a Ten-Tec 238B Tuner for up to 1200 Watts Carrier and an Ameritron AT30 for the legal limit).

In summary: If you don't need a Peak-reading Watt-meter and/or the 160 Meter Band (Which are omitted on the MN-2000) and use only near-resonant antennas--then this is one of the best legal limit (1500 Watt carrier/PEP capable tuners on the planet--usually at a bargain price ($200+).

W5FZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2014 21:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner - But  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Really like this tuner, but want to check inside for photos, cleaning, etc. Cannot. How do you remove the cover, or take the tuner out of the case? No instructions or illustrations in the manual. Afraid to force anything and ruin it.

K5ZG Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2013 07:13 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: more than 12 months
have had several over the yrs. sold one and got another realizing what i had lost. have two now.. they will tune just about anything and can use a balun on other side of wall from shack to open wire and it will tune... has handled high power RTTY no probs. these are 'HUD PROOF".

KD2E Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2011 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This, the newer MN7, and the lower power MN4C, as well as the Swan tuners are my favorite. The old Murch tuners are nice also, but I view the roller inductor as a negative. It allows more range, but not necessary if the antenna is an antenna in the first place. The only other tuner I'd love to try is one of those giant B&W tuners...but I think they are huge!. The MFJ's should not even be called tuners. More like "tuner-like toys"

K9MHZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2011 09:11 Send this review to a friend
VERY nice item!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Drake MN-200 is a fabulous antenna tuner. It's built more solid than just about anything today, and works quite well FOR ITS INTENDED PURPOSE....tuning to band edges of antenna systems that are cut for individual bands, NOT for random length wires, G5RV, coat hangers, etc.

Downgrading this tuner because it doesn't have a roller inductor (it's not supposed to!) and comparing it to an MFJ product is laughable.

This is a pro-quality, solid unit that's withstood the test of time. Even in the owner's manual, it explicitly describes its intended installation and use. Some people need to learn to read.

K8OIE Rating: 2/5 Apr 18, 2010 16:18 Send this review to a friend
needs variable inductor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this because I wanted a quality tuner, and the components are quality, but the design leaves something to be desired. The fixed inductor on the bandswitch should be either a tapped or variable unit; without this feature I find it impossible to get a true 1:1 swr. Sure, it handles power great, but the object of a tuner is to tune. Many negative remarks have been said about MFJ tuners, but they do what they are supposed to do, and that is to tune down to a true 1:1 swr. If I have a tuner thats built heavy but does not tune correctly I am losing part of my signal, and that is not worth it.

GM1FLQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2009 11:46 Send this review to a friend
Well engineered  Time owned: more than 12 months
Why can't manufacturers make amateur gear to this standard any longer - all you get is a plethora of equipment that is made by accountant led companies. No cheap plastics on this unit, no wobbly knobs and everything with a solid positive feel to it - built to last, and they do. Nice big wide spaced caps, heavy duty inductor and double screening. Nice big analogue meter. Only slight downside is meter can be a bit slow to react on power output setting, due probably to the mechanical mass of the meter components.
My Kenwood AT230 is pretty good (albeit lower power rated) but the MN2000 has it on build.

K1YPB Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2009 16:40 Send this review to a friend
25 Years and still like new  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great tuner. It will tune almost anything and you can pour the power through it with no worries. The components are super heavy duty, and I have never had any arcing at any tuner setting. I even have used it for Air Force MARS (and they have some real odd frequencies of of the normal ham bands. I have had this tuner for more than 25 years and it is still pristine. If I have any complaint, I would say it is the band selector knob. It looses up after use and requires to be retightened periodically. Once it broke, but thanks to a generous ham on eham.net I was able to obtain a replacement knob. But this small issue does not detract from its performance or great looks. If you need a tuner, and can find one, get it. You will not be disappointed.

KD6HUC Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2008 14:21 Send this review to a friend
I love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this tuner for only twenty dollars from a local ham who was cleaning out his garage. Yes, it was my lucky day! Even the little rubber pieces on front feet are pristine! All I had to do was rub some tape residue off the top and it was like I had just opened a fresh shipment from Ohio! Anyway, I do miss the built in balun and lack of 160, but let's not split hairs! My so called "amplifier ready" MFJ put out a very wild light show when I tried to load up 600 watts on 160 which was a band it was suppoed to cover... I suspect this tuner will never fail me at any power level I can feed it. Not to mention it sure looks pretty with my boatanchors. I wish it matched my Hallicrafters station. To sum it all up. Drake is the epitome of when Made in America meant something special.