Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Drake MN-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Drake MN-2000
Drake MN-2000 Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $250.00
Description: HF Antenna Tuner
More info: http://www.dproducts.be/drake_museum/mn-2000.htm

You can write your own review of the Drake MN-2000.

WB4JSB Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2008 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Great Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine from a friend over a year ago for less than $100. It is immaculate, without a scratch on it anywhere. I use it daily, up to legal limit & have never had any problems. It has tuned every antenna that I have so far connected to it, 10m-80m even on 12m&17m with a little coaxing. It will not tune 160m, but that is not a problem for me.

Great testament to Drake quality!

N7WR Rating: 4/5 Dec 30, 2007 18:03 Send this review to a friend
Good tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked one up to use on just 80 meters in those parts of the band where my antenna is not resonant. Use it with a TS 830S (Gold) and Collins 30L 1 into an elevated 1/4 wave vertical. Does the job nicely though it won't tune below 1.5-1.0 in some parts of the band. Mine is in clean condition in and out and sold for what seems to be a fair ($195) price for a tuner of this quality. I'll hold onto it until I can find a Yaesu FC 102 which is my preferred tuner for this station.

KC4CP Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2007 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my Drake MN-2000 from a Drake "Collector." It was (and is) in nearly mint condition, so I paid a little more for it ($200). At this price, it is a great value. It is built like a tank, tunes any antenna with ease, & is actually pretty good looking. I have had 3 different models of the Palstar Tuners (which are the best currently made), but the MN-2000 is a far better tuner and a much better value.

If you can find one in excellent condition, for between $150 - $225, buy it! Other than lacking 160 meters, it has no faults.

WR4N (ex KC4CP)

VA1CQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2007 05:16 Send this review to a friend
Best investment......  Time owned: more than 12 months
I paid about US$140 for an MN-2000 back in the early 1990s. I thought it was a lot for a tuner. But you can never go wrong by buying quality. I still have the tuner and will never consider selling it. You always need a good tuner. Always buy quality even if you have to pay a lot for it. It will be cheaper in the long run.

VE7HA / 7J1AQH

K6YE Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2007 04:07 Send this review to a friend
GREAT TUNER  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used one in conjunction with an ICOM IC-761 transceiver and a Henry 2KD-5 amp. It gave me zero SWR on 80-10. The ONLY reason I sold it was because I needed 160 meters capability (along with dual metering) and chose a Heathkit SA-2060.

Beyond that, the Drake is a really awesome tuner. If you can find one at a great price (and do not need 160 meters) grab it. You will never be sorry and should not lose a cent IF you should ever desire to sell it.

Semper Fi,

Tommy - K6YE
DX IS

K8ICB Rating: 4/5 Jun 8, 2006 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Great unit  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased it used off the internet , it is very Well built , in my opinion a little hard to use with just one meter.
I have a Yaesu FT897D and would tune for minimum SWR on the Yaesu meter , then fine tune in the reflected mode on the Drake meter.I made a little chart of the settings for all bands.
I recently sold it and purchased a MFJ 989C which takes a little longer to tune but you can go to zero SWR on all bands , something I could not do with the Drake .
73 Dan

AA1ZT Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2005 06:43 Send this review to a friend
The best  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Drake MN-2000 is simply one of the best values on the Ham Radio market today. You can find one second hand for $150-200, which is half what you would pay for those new MFJ junkboxes. And what a difference! Just open the box and see for yourself. Massive construction, double shielding (there is another aluminum box inside of the metal cabinet!), both capacitors are a foot long, the coils and bandswitches are huge, all components are well positioned.

This tuner is built like a tank, and will last a lifetime. I bought mine two years ago and will probably never change it.

LU5DDX Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2004 09:20 Send this review to a friend
BESTIAL+++  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
que se pude decir realmente el mejor at para trabajar con power de verdad y un lujo la suavidad de los controles . mi mas profundo respeto a la gente de DRAKE .y este instumento si anda .....
saludos desde Bs. As . jorge

K6OIX Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2003 21:36 Send this review to a friend
An Excellent Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recenlty purchased this tuner on eBay. The seller was honest and it was it great condition, as he said. I've used it for about 5 weeks now with both a trap dipole and the terminated folded dipole that B&W sells. So fart is has been a dream to use. I took it apart and the quality of construction is excellent. The only draw back is the lack of 160M, but I am not sure I will ever use 160 anywawy. I removed the stock knobs on the two capacitors and replaced them with verniers. This gives me 5-turns and a better scale. I tuned it for the 80-10M bands with my MFJ analyzer and plotted the settings so I can instantly tune as I
change bands or frequencies.

It is important to note that this tuner is a Pi network, and doesn't have a balun. The Pi network makes it a low-pass filter, as opposed to a high pass filter, which occurs with the T network tuners. Most of the current tuners are T networks, which may provide a broader range of
networking; however, it's not clear that any one really needs an all purpose tuner, or would be better off with an all-in-one tuner than two devices

I do not anticipate using mine for a balanced antenna. The recent QST review suggests that some of the currently available T network tuners are rather lossy at the extremes of their matching capability.

If you find a good used Drake MN-2000, buy it!

KG4LRU Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2003 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Oldie but a Goody  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great tuner I run this on my vintage gear its a great tuner it always on the numbers and good value used. Too band no 160 but if your tired of crap tuners find one of these in good shape you will not be disappointed USA built and name to be proud of you can take to the bank it will still be working 60 years from now.