Reviews Categories | Ham radio kits | Elecraft XG2 Receiver Test Oscillator Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft XG2 Receiver Test Oscillator
Elecraft XG2 Receiver Test Oscillator Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: An updated version of the XG1 oscillator, now with outputs on 3.5, 7 & 14 MHz bands.
More info: http://www.elecraft.com

You can write your own review of the Elecraft XG2 Receiver Test Oscillator.

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2011 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent test gear!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well done Elecraft......just be careful not to transmit back into it

Cheers All

K3MD Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2011 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Fun  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Easy kit, good value. Fascinating to test your rigs to see how accurate (or not) the S meters are. Very interesting to run at 1 microvolt output to hear what your receiver sounds like near the noise floor. Very nice toy!

KE1EV Rating: 4/5 Dec 16, 2009 11:56 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought an XG-2 to help restore an old Heatkit HW-101. Thought I'd have little use for it after, but find that I use it frequently. Easy to assemble. Works like a champ. My only complaint is that there is no case for the thing, even as an option. The band switch is tiny and awkward. Since the controls are mounted on the card there is no convenient way to relocate them to a box front-panel.
Read the errata before assembly! I missed it and had to rework the board.
Wish it had a 10meter crystal too, high up in the band somewhere. This would allow you to check the other end of the VFO and mixer.

SOLARDX Rating: 4/5 Feb 15, 2008 00:45 Send this review to a friend
Limited capabilities  Time owned: more than 12 months
Useful yes, however the flexibility could have been greater if the XG2 had greater output allowing for receiver dynamic range measurements.

It also would have been nice say to have an 60 db attenuator on the board to accurately check each S unit down to S1, you need to buy the Elecraft attenuator which is expensive for what it is. I can buy HP355 attenuators on Ebay for almost the same price.

I even use it for checking my coax losses on my coax switch, it would be nice if there was VHF or UHF unit as well then you could determine coax losses, or coax and switching failures. I have one mounted remotely on a garden solar light that can be switched through my switch onto all my feedlines. If i get water or a connector failure i can see the loss. Unfortunately the S meter on my K2 is lousy since it does not have enough resolution. Maybe Elecraft will consider bringing out a big external S meter like LDG some day.

WB0MZT Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2008 20:32 Send this review to a friend
Nice, useful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fun kit, took about an hour to build. A nice warmup before I begin the K2 I got for Christmas...
Took about an hour, no problems (the previous review mentioned a silkscreen error, they must have fixed that, as I did not notice any error).
Hooked it up to my K1, and it worked great...the Xtals for 40 and 20 were dead on...
I went through a period of mourning when Heathkit died, but Elecraft, OHR, and others are filling the void. Actually, my affection for Heathkit was based on nice building memories, but the equipment really wasn't that great...Elecraft's products are...
It is just nice to see an American radio company be so successful by being so good...thanks

HA6SST Rating: 4/5 Apr 15, 2007 04:22 Send this review to a friend
Error on PCB  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This kit provides a calibrated signal on 3.5795MHz, 7.040 MHz or 14.060 MHz and can be used to test for MDS or set S9 on the meter. The kit went together reasonably easy but I had two problems:

1) You need to be VERY careful about which resistor goes where, especially the 1% resistors. Get this wrong and your output levels will be incorrect.

2) There is a small error in the silk screening on the PCB, the diode across the output is shown the wrong way round although it is correct in the schematic. Before this error was noticed I had a dead unit.

Because of the silk-screening error I am scoring this kit a 4.

HA6SST