Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | ICOM Q7A Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM Q7A
ICOM Q7A Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $129.95
Description: Compact dual band HT with 30-1300 Mhz receive.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM Q7A.

AE5YJ Rating: 4/5 Jan 9, 2002 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Great little HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this little radio! I think that it is amazing the features that Icom has packed into this tiny package. When I got this unit I really wasn't expecting "full-size" features such as tone scan and automatic reapeater offsets. Nice package. After referring to the manual for programming a couple of repeaters, the manual went aside. Programming this Ht was cake after the first couple of channels. Two complaints that kept me from giving a 5 of 5 rating:

1.RX audio: If I were Icom, the last thing that I would do is advertise this unit as having "superior audio" I guess for a micro HT the audio is sufficient, but I think it sucks. I use in a noisy mobile environment and the audio can be quite difficult to hear.

2.No AM BCB or SW: I understand that there is software available to remedy this, but I don't have the xtra $ to purchase a computer cable. Will have to see if this ca be remedied in the future.

All in all a great little radio and I would probably buy another should something happen to this one. With the price of this unit, you cannot go wrong! -Andy -KD5OUW

KC9L Rating: 4/5 Nov 11, 2001 05:12 Send this review to a friend
AM BCB AOK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Looks like it can receive AM broadcast pretty well with the right software! I'm pretty hapy with that. :) Looks like it's time to take this puppy down to Soldier Field!

Now if N2MG could do something about the color scheme of this site... it reminds me of the Green Bay Packers too much! :)

KC9L Rating: 4/5 Nov 9, 2001 23:40 Send this review to a friend
Good value, with some drawbacks  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just picked this up for my weekly trip to Soldier Field to watch my beloved Bears. I wanted a wideband receiver to pick up game broadcasts, weather radio, and sideline radio traffic. There's a few hams who come down to the games as well, so I wanted to be able to guide them into the parking lot on simplex.

It's a wonderful radio, if you think of it as a receiver that happens to have a small transmitter built in.

Battery life on receive is terrific (I'm seeing > 20 hrs. with 2 alkalines)--I was worried about this from my experience with other ICOM handhelds that drink batteries like Ted Kennedy drinks whiskey.

The receiver is sensitive--have no problems picking up my local police and fire, even with the stock duck. I live in an urban area, but intermod has not been a problem.

Audio quality is good, even with wide FM signals like TV audio and FM broadcast.

The only problem I have is that, if the internet reports I read are true, there's no reason ICOM couldn't have made the receiver even more wideband--supposedly the R2 and Q7 share receiver circuitry. This would have allowed me to hear WBBM 780, the AM station Bears games are on, as well. However, you can supposedly program in < 30 MHz frequencies via the PC... so I'm going to try that this weekend. If I can, I'll be happy, but I'll be upset, too, since ICOM only hobbled this radio for marketing reasons.

I know the Yaesu VX1R has AM BCB receive, but its main drawback for me was the proprietary lithium battery. I like the fact I can just pop a few alkalines in if necessary.

This radio is a fine receiver or hamfest/simplex rig, especially at $129US.

WD8OKN Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2001 20:02 Send this review to a friend
Great receiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Wonderful receiver. Needs a tad more output power. Could ICOM have made it transmit on 220 Mhz? How about transmit on FRS frequencies?

N8IWK Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2001 09:37 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this radio primarly for it's receive capabilities. With such low power output I wasn't expecting to get into many of the local repeaters except for maybe 1 or 2 of the very nearby ones.
I was impressed when it actually got into most of the repeaters in my area with the supplied antenna.
Programming it was relativly simple, I gave the manual a brief "once over" to get started, and didn't have to refer to the manual afterwards. Audio quality is good for such a small radio. One improvement Icom could have made was to add an external power jack, or a means to recharge the supplied NiCads while still in the radio.
Because the Q7A is so versatile and compact I can now sell my other bulky single band radios and scanners.
Overall it's a great little radio, for it's price (I got mine new for $119) and size.

WT1UP Rating: 4/5 Oct 18, 2001 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Good if you're close to a repeater  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great little HT. You can't expect too much from a pee whistle that runs on AA batteries. I'm using high capacity NiMH batteries and solved the whole battery usage problem. Runs a long time in RX mode, but runs through the batteries fairly quickly in TX mode. I switched to a Comet SMA3 antenna - psychologically I think it works better than the stock ducky. It's great to use to listen to TV audio, WX broadcasts, NPR on FM broadcast band. I only wish it tuned 10m FM or 11m AM without having to use the special software from Goran to do it. User interface is a little confusing, but not too difficult to learn if your actually read the manual! Luckily I have a couple of machines on both 2m and 440 that are close enough to hear me. Don't buy the Icom case, Radio Shack has a nice little neoprene case that fits it perfectly (for FRS radios) - only $9.95 each. Only complaint: I wish you could power it from an external power source. Get your SMA-to-BNC adapters from: www.sescodatasystems.com, part no. RFA-8382, <$5 each.

K3WVU Rating: 4/5 Sep 19, 2001 12:31 Send this review to a friend
Good backup HT, but primarily a scanner.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well-constructed and compact, this little rig is OK for hitting your local repeater, if it's close enough, or perhaps using it for short range communications, such as during a hamfest. Receive audio is very good, and it's really not that difficult to program once you've spent a little time with the manual. It didn't however, pass the "no manual test", so don't expect to take it out of the box and immediately program in your favorite repeaters.
Of course, the low power output (350MW on 2M/300MW on 70CM), is very limiting, but I managed to greatly improve the radio's range by using a Diamond RH77CA replacement antenna. Of course, I needed to use an adapter to match the antenna's BNC connector to the Q7A's SMA comnector.
The receiver seems to be very sensitive, has 200 memory channels, and as I mentioned above, the audio is good, so you won't be disappointed with it's scanning capabilities.
Finally, I haven't run into the battery problem that was mentioned in another review. Besides, the rig now comes with a charger that charges two pairs of nicads at a time, as well as one pair of nicads. You can use alkalines as well.
Good little rig, considering the low power.

WB3FUM Rating: 4/5 Sep 10, 2001 09:45 Send this review to a friend
So So Q7A  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great reciever weak Transmitter. Eats batteries. I recently gave mine to my Nephew who returned it after purchasing an HTX404. He said he could not afford to keep replacing the batteries in it. My main purpose for the radio was to use as a scanner. I found it easy to program although my VX5R Yaesu is slightly easier. I replaced the unit with the VX5R because the 5R had 5 watts output.

73 WB3FUM

KB9YKG Rating: 4/5 Sep 10, 2001 01:24 Send this review to a friend
Good Scanner, TX is a bonus  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this radio just to add another toy to the collection. I have been faily impressed by it. It seems to be a very good scanner, and the small size is nice too. The 300 mW output leaves a little to be desired, but I can hit at least one local repeater with it. Also, programming took a little longer since there is no keypad, but thats to be expected. Overall, I would buy it again with the intention of mostly using it as a scanner, and occasionally keying a nearby repeater.

KC2GOW Rating: 4/5 Aug 31, 2001 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Great little Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
The radio is a great scanner and good for talk around at hamfests. Otherwise it just something that you listen to (without much TX).