Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | ICOM IC-2GXAT Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-2GXAT
ICOM IC-2GXAT Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $301.00
Description: IC-2GXAT 2 Meter Transceiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-2GXAT.

SKY Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2003 16:59 Send this review to a friend
cool  Time owned: more than 12 months
have my icom 2gxat in 10 year and still working good.

KG4YJR Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2003 20:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this radio for my wife (KG4YJQ) beacuse she just wanted a "push to talk" radio, nothing fancy. This fit the bill perfectly and where she uses the radio most the extra power, along with a Diamond RH77CA antenna hits the local repeater better than the IC-T7H she had before. One thing I like about the radio is the manual squelch control. I really miss not having that on my own IC-T7H as most HT's do not have one and have limited options or a poor "auto squelch" function. This radio is a winner and with R & L Electronics (http://www.randl.com) great price ($169.95) and prompt shipping has been one of the best purchases I've ever made.

AA8KF Rating: 4/5 Mar 13, 2002 21:51 Send this review to a friend
good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good solid radio. Excellent tx and rx. I,ve had
the same problem with the antenna nut and screw
coming loose. I only give it a 4/5 because of
intermod problems I have had. Anything better than a rubberduck antenna, and the pagers
screech through.

KG4QQR Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2002 20:18 Send this review to a friend
Solid little HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
After months of being shoved in a bag, stuck in my pocket, and generally tossed around, this little guy has become my favorite constant companion. It's been tossed, dropped, kicked, and subjected to the horrors of airline traffic handlers. It always comes back strong. Great tone, excellent receive and the 7 watts means I can usually talk to anyone I can hear. My only complaint is that the back gets HOT during a long QSO, but that's what speaker mics are for..

KB5HAV Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2001 13:32 Send this review to a friend
Best 2 meter handheld  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for 6 years now. It has been used as a base rig, mobile and for APRS. Great receive and NO intermod problems. The heat sink on the back of the radio does get a bit hot if rag chewing at 7 watts output, guess this is a way to regulate your talk time, hi-hi. Never the less, the little radio is built to last. Rubber seals around all joints and case halves.

Using the alkaline batter pack, BP-130A, this radio last a long time. Much longer than the Ni-Cad battery.

If you are looking for a rugged handheld that will last for years, grab a few of these. The price is right too.

Best Regards,
Bobby
KB5HAV

W2NJS Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2000 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my 2GXAT for about five years, and I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. One of the unit's least-known features is the way it can change VFO frequencies over a wide area without spending all day turning the knob on top. The radio has a unique (I think) method of moving you from digit to digit on the display so that, for instance, if you want to go from 139.500 to 169.500 you push two buttons and the knob changes the 3 to a 4 to a 5 to a 6, so with three clicks of the knob you've moved 30 mHz. The radio puts out an honest 7 watts with a 12/13 volt supply, and the PL tones read in Hertz, (i.e., exact numbers and decimals) rather than in codes. The spanner nut on the antenna mount and the lockscrew on same tended to come loose before I used Loctite on them, but that's the ONLY problem I ever had with this radio. Sensitivity is great, as is intermod rejection, and I live in DC, which is the intermod capital of the USA!

Tom Donohoe, W2NJS, 7/23/00

K2ROK Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2000 13:06 Send this review to a friend
Solid performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
These rigs will probably not be around too much longer, as Icom continues to put out newer HT's, but if you are thinking of a new HT this one is worthy of consideration. The battery of course is from the "old-school" on NiCads, but that does not hurt this rig. In fact, it has a great solid feel to it, and the battery hangs on the botton very tight. The receiver is plenty sensitive and the s-meter is easily visible and accurate. The audio is crisp and clear, probably the best of several HT's I've used, including some recent models. At 7 watts the rig gets plenty warm, but is a nice power when mobile and utilized with a speaker mic -- the price seems a little higher than other, newer single-band HT's for some reason. The buttons a recessed a little but easy to use, and the PTT is very easy to work. Overall, still my favorite HT from Icom.

Anonymous Rating: 3/5 Apr 11, 2000 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Any comments on this HT?  Time owned: unknown months
Any one have any comments on this HT?