Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Ciro Mazzoni Baby Loop Help

Reviews Summary for Ciro Mazzoni Baby Loop
Ciro Mazzoni Baby Loop Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1540
Description: The smallest and most popular selling loop-antenna. Diameter is only 1m (ca. 38 inch). For this antenna space is not a problem: on the balcony, on the roof. The gapless frequency-range is 6,9 up to 29,7 MHz. It comes ready to use with mast clamp and LCD ctrl unit
More info: http://www.wimo.de/cgi-bin/verteiler.pl?url=antloop_e.htm

You can write your own review of the Ciro Mazzoni Baby Loop.

2E0JWW Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2016 03:23 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just thought i would update since my last review on this great antenna.
Since the last review i have now installed a rotator and the difference is just incredible,since then i have had some nice DX,sure its not going to compete with a big Yagi,but for me it is the best Antenna i have had in my limited space.

GW4UWD Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2016 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant quality in build and performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have used the loop consistently since January this year with an Icom 7200, elderly ft747gx and ts430s for ssb and an Elecraft K2 for cw.The first results show how quiet the loop is for noise.perfect for cw at qrp and higher levels. Working Kuwait,Saudi etc with good results.My baseline is the other antenna being a perfect Hi End fed antenna from the Netherlands whilst using an Icom 718, FT450D for ssb and a K1 for CW.The hi end fed is 1.1.1 on all bands except top band with the auto atu, but so much noisier than the loop.The loop seems to have the edge on the end fed. It is very well made, easy to set up and does the job perfectly. A lot of money for the kit, but you get what you pay for. I would strongly recommend it. Love mine and enjoy the dx. 73. Peter GW4UWD

GW4DVB Rating: 4/5 May 31, 2016 01:40 Send this review to a friend
Geeting to grips with the Baby Loop  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
**Updated Reveiw to replace older one**

After a couple of months I am at last getting to grips with the Baby Loop.

After a couple of comparisons the noise level is definitely lower compared with a vertical or a dipole.

Rx levels are 3 / 6 db lower but is compensated by lower noise level.

It is definitely directional so you WILL need a rotator.

They now recommend that the loop is mounted at least 10M from shack due to possible high RF levels in the shack sadly I am suffering with this despite the antenna being over 10m away from the house!!!. To try and avoid the RF getting into the shack I have been experimenting with adding a couple of 'Ugly Baluns' one at the loop feed point and the other where the feeder enters the shack. This seems to have helped.

My loop tunes up on all bands < 1.5:1 except 10m where I cannot get it below 2:1 rendering it useless on this band!!

The tuning of the loop via its own ATU is a bit strange as it sends an RF signal to the loop which auto adjusts for minimum SWR - the disconcerting apsect of this is that you can hear this on the receiver - sometimes VERY loud especially if the receiver in just off frequency.The auto tune option linked to a transceiver is a great idea but I have found it totally impractical as the loop is continually retuning as you adjust the VFO.

Due to the high Q of the loop the receive level quickly tails off either side of resonance which make the use of a pan-adaptor difficult... typically its bandwidth on 40m is only 10 or 20 k

Even with the observations above I've fallen in love with it and have worked lots of stations with 59 reports across the globe on most bands.

So if you haven't got the space for a better antenna and love playing with something different go for it!!!

If nothing else the local birds will love their new garden feeder / perch :)

IU2GFF Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2016 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Simply great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bravo Ciro!
This antenna is built to last. It's made from solid aluminum and stainless steel. It's a masterpiece of Italian craftsmanship.

It performs very well: I get 59 reports from all Europe.

I'm surprised with the absolute absence of noise and QRM.

The new ATU 2.0 is full auto: just turn the VFO knob and the ATU automatically tunes the loop.
With a Yaesu RTX, do not forget to set the CAT on the RS232 port and to disable the RTS. This is not written in the manual.

A rotator is recommended. This antenna is quite directional for low angle signals.

1. very good performance
2. very easy to use with the new ATU 2.0 - Full auto tuning!
3. can be installed everywhere
4. no QRM
5. no litigations with neighbors

I cannot ask more to an antenna.

IU2GFF
Franco

GW0UZK Rating: 4/5 Mar 1, 2016 03:52 Send this review to a friend
Surprising performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
Although I have the space for bigger aerials I bought this loop because my main interest is aerials and having tried to build my own with mixed results I wanted to try the best there is before forming an opinion. It's performance exceeded my expectations by a large margin and is surprisingly close to the multi band wire aerials I have compared it with. Rotating it fills the nulls experienced on my nest of dipoles so in some directions it can be better.
There seems to be some confusion about it's power rating, the loop will handle the higher power (400w to 1kw) and the 200w limit is for the controller so put the amplifier between the controller and the loop and it all makes sense.
It gets a 4 because although it is the best magnetic loop money can buy it is very expensive alternative to a bit of wire with comparable performance.

KJ4SLP Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2016 17:50 Send this review to a friend
Best small loop available  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Others have described this antenna in some detail so I'll go directly to the bottom line.

PROS:
--Materials and build quality are superb. One reviewer mentioned sloppy soldering but, in fact, there is no soldering anywhere on the antenna. Very substantial TIG welding is used throughout.

--The current version requires minor assembly, taking at most 15-20 minutes from the time the shipping carton is opened until the antenna is ready to go active.

--The packaging, which has been revised recently, is essentially bombproof.

--The manual provides clear guidance about locating the antenna vis-a-vis metal structures, wiring, etc. If you can read, there is no excuse for failing to understand how the antenna should be sited.

--The loop is quiet compared to most other types of antennas, making it especially suitable for noisy urban areas.

--Martin Lynch & Sons in Middlesex, UK, and TNT courier service provide first class customer service. My loop was shipped within 24 hours of my order and arrived on my doorstep in upstate New York within four days. The antenna cleared customs within one hour of arrival at JFK.

CONS:
--Bandwidth is narrow and retuning is required for even minor frequency changes.

--The new tuning unit "ATU 2.0" is limited to 200 watts. This is not mentioned in Ciro Mazzoni advertising, which states power limits of 400-1000 watts.

--Instructions for assembly and for use of the ATU are not well integrated into the operating manual. Nothing is hard to figure out but greater detail would be helpful.

THOUGHTS:
--With a front-to-side ratio of 25dB, a rotator is needed for best performance.

--This loop will certainly not outperform a beam on a tall tower but it competes well with most dipoles and verticals, especially given its quietness on receive.

CONCLUSIONS:
For the space-challenged operator or anyone who seeks an easily installed antenna that does not require a tower or a tree-climbing adventure, the Ciro Mazzoni Baby Loop is an excellent choice. It is hands-down the best constructed amateur antenna I have ever seen.

G6YEK Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2015 01:09 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only had the loop for a sort time and i have had some great results, at the moment its only 1.6 m above the ground there is a pic on my QRZ page.
Best Dx to date is VP8ALJ on 15m.
Des G6YEK

VK2CCJ Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2015 20:26 Send this review to a friend
Best Restricted Space Antenna I have used   Time owned: more than 12 months
I know a number of VK's use this antenna some with rotators , I don't have enough space to turn it currently.

Well a little background I live in a Villa complex and basically means little or no space for HF antennas and very close neibours. I tried Verticals and even a short inverted L fed from SGC230 remote tuner (these are not neighbour friendly and an eyesore to some) but the Baby Loop has exceeded my expectations , mine is 2 metres on a heavy Tripod off the ground and about a metre in diameter between a steel fence and a large Pergola, so not exactly in the clear , pictures on my QRZ.com page. my QRZ is under my new 2 letter call VK2NP. not the VK2CCJ which I also hold.

The tuner provided is a direct keyboard entry or can be manually tuned, no Transmission required contains a small DDS oscillator and matches VSWR by feeding the signal up the coax to the loop.

Covers about 6.9Mhz to 29.8Mhz continuous so good for SWL as well. Though I usually use a Pixel 1B receive only antenna

Construction is second to none very solid and quite heavy at 16kg . Will handle 400W on the lower bands and up to a 1KW on the higher ones.

It will not replace a full size antenna at height but I get great reports and often people don't know what I am running.

would love for it to cover 80M and 160M but too small for that.

Expensive but for me well worth it till I get that dream house and a tower wishful thinking Hi.

I think this antenna would last a lifetime , no plans to sell it even if I move to more open area.

bought through a German company Wimo as shipping was easier but I emailed Ciro and he is very helpful .

Please feel free to ask or add information,

Cliff VK2NP VK2CCJ
Sydney Australia

K1PMA Rating: 4/5 Feb 24, 2015 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Not a one-size-fits-all solution.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am not one that gives out 5 stars willy-nilly. And while the Baby Loop (BL) does work, there are several caveats. First of all, I imported it by myself from German distributor WIMO. While they are professional and knowledgable, the forwarding agent they used (DBSchenker) has a terrible office in NC. It took almost 3 weeks for it to be delivered to me even though I paid for DAP air cargo service. Customs ($50) and processing of duties, forms etc were another $300. Plus, in the beginning they said they have never handled imports by a private individual before and do not do that....until I made a huge stink...long story short, before you order make sure you understand what you are getting in to. Here my impressions (NOT a complete how-to-guide).

The unit is shipped in a very study box. No issues with the packaging. The included 220V to 24V DC adapter is useless since it's not universal. Plan on getting one yourself (at least 1A). Also, you will need an appropriate length of 2 lead wire that goes from the controller (ATU) to the antenna for the motor. This in addition to the coax.

Unboxing and setup can take several hours, depending if you have all the right tools/supplies handy. You will either need a very sturdy tripod or a 2" pipe for mounting, Mount between 1.5 and 2.5 meters above ground/roof. All the right bolts/nuts for mounting the antenna to a mast are included.

The manual is helpful but fails to point out several crucial aspects of how the antenna works. First of all, a mag loop antenna is VERY sensitive to it's surroundings. Do not place it close to a wall, garage door, pipes, etc. have at least a 4 meter circumference clear around it. One reason is this (happened to me): once the ATU is hooked up and all the cable connected and you enter a frequency with B14300* (example) the controller tries to determine at what frequency the antenna currently is resonant on, BEFORE it sends commands down the motor line. And if it can't determine resonance because its too close to interfering objects the Green motor light will never come on. Display will show "NO RESONANCE".

The construction of the unit is 'heavy duty'. It should have no problem living outside under harsch conditions. The solder job on my antenna (mainly the plates) was not something to write home about (sloppy) but should have no influence on the performance.

Don't expect much support from Ciro Mazzoni in Italy. Only the daughter speaks English and her hours in the office are few and far between. Better you order from WIMO in Germany and get professional support (Wolfgang).

I have only had it in operation for 2 days now, so not an thorough test by any measure, but I have had several QSO and compared RX on all bands with an end fed up 40 feet in the trees. So far I have found 20 & 40 meter band to be pretty close in RX and TX performance with the loop. 17, 15, 12 and 10 are iffy...subjective rating maybe 50-70% as good as the end fed, all depending on mode, source, etc But any way you slice it, it cannot compete with any decent dipole/yagi/etc up 30 or more feet in the air. But the huge advantage is of course the 'stealthiness' (which is actually a misnomer as the antenna will attract attention due to it's weird look) and the power it can handle (200W or possibly more. I was told it can be set up to handle up to 800). Compare this to the MFJ mag loop (costing a fraction) which is much more toy-like.

VK2LK Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2012 19:48 Send this review to a friend
The best always costs the most  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent antenna, with the ATU it is very easy to use.

I have talked around the world using this baby loop, and its great. Support from both wimo and the factory is excellent. The most expensive part for me was shipping as its quite a large item.

Cheers,