Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Elecraft K3 Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft K3
Elecraft K3 Reviews: 224 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,399
Description: ELECRAFT K3 Transceiver
High Performance 160-6 Meters 100 W
Dual 32bit DSP, "switched mode mixer"
Factory Assembled or No-Soldering Kit
160-6 meter ham-band coverage; optional general-coverage filters
High-contrast, full-custom LCD with with alphanumeric text display
100-W or 10-W (upgradeable) models
32-bit I.F. DSP
Rich I/O complement (see rear-panel drawing above)
All modes: SSB, CW, Data, AM, FM
Built-in PSK/TTY decode/encode allows data mode operation with or without a PC use CW keyer paddle to send PSK/TTY too!
High performance DDS/PLL Synthesizer with TCXO reference
More info: http://www.elecraft.com

You can write your own review of the Elecraft K3.

KD8OPI Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2015 13:48 Send this review to a friend
A twist...  Time owned: more than 12 months
First, everything thats great about the K3 written in this thread is true. I've had mine for over 3 years and I love it. If they keep upgrading the firmware and boards as they have been, it will be the last radio I'll need to buy.

Here's a twist from the reviews here, the K3 is an outstanding broadcast shortwave receiver.

I know, I know, SWL is essentially dead in this hemisphere. But come on, if you're the typical ham reading this post you know that your fascination with this hobby at some point included listening to SW broadcasts.

Recently, cheap upgrades to my shack have enabled me to hook up a few of my old 80's era portable SW receivers to my small antenna farm (S9 31' vert. with 34 ground radials, Cushcraft MA5B, Comet Gp-9). So, Ive been playing around with them, trying to find a way to use them in a useful way (I think a dedicated PSK reporter server for Jt65 will fill the bill). Anyway, for giggles, I wanted to see how the K3 would do listening to SW broadcasts by comparison.

Well, it was mind-blowing (for me at least). In combination with the P3, finding carrier waves is like shooting fish in a barrel, adjust your filters, put on the DSP NR, and whammo - shortwave broadcasting that is deaf to my admittedly bygone era receivers (Sony 2010, Sangean 803A) is easily copyable from surprising locations.

Example: While I need all the prayer I can get, I dont listen to Vatican Radio, in part because its always been difficult to receive - even with God's help apparently. Well, on the K3 I can hear vatican broadcasts in 3 different languages to the middle east and Africa. Granted, its not exciting - but those of you who know of what I speak understand that to even get Vatican radio broadcast to the US isn't easy; and here the K3 was pulling it off beam.

Wanna listen to VOA? Good luck, its designed not to be heard in this country on purpose. The little receivers just don't have the dynamic range to pull it off from a big antenna. With the K3, I was pulling in VOA broadcasts (jammed and unjammed) to Africa and the Middle East, in English from Botswana. Again, the expectation on smaller receivers is you just cant do that - and that expectation is correct. You cant - but you can with a K3.

All up and down the SW dial I was just fascinated at how well the "out of band" performance of the K3 was. Stations that I've never heard from broadast locations and target areas far flung across the globe were pulled in by the K3.

So, if you're so inclined, give it a shot. Its a wrinkle of the K3 I never explored and was happy I did.

W2BLC Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2015 16:30 Send this review to a friend
Best I have owned  Time owned: more than 12 months
The combo of the K3 and P3 puts this rig in the leagues with the super high dollar rigs. It is the best I have had in over 50 years on the air. You can custom order with/without all the various add-ons. You can add them later if you wish. Factory help is fantastic - just a phone call or email away.

AC2FV Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2015 14:06 Send this review to a friend
Get One!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the K3 with pan adapter, 100w, filters, etc. Absolutely killer radio. Get off the fence and buy one, you won't be disappointed.

JG1RVN Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2015 21:23 Send this review to a friend
New KSYN3A with K3  Time owned: more than 12 months
Elecraft relieaced New KSYN3A last Jan 2015. It becomes nice C/N ratio ULTRA-LOW PHASE NOISE. I bought KSYN3AUPG = KSYN3A Synthesizer Upgrade Kit for K3 and Sub RX. When you install KSYN3 you should use new firmware MCU 5.14 / DSP 2.83 / FPF 1.19, 2/26/2015. The KSYN3A significantly improves the K3's already excellent RX and TX phase noise at close carrier spacings. The new KSYN3A covers 100kHz-500kHz, so now you can receive 472kHz band by K3. It is Great, K3 did it again!

QRPNEW Rating: 4/5 Mar 6, 2015 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Improving all the time  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just updated the K3 with the new Synthesizer. This upgrade puts the K3 right on the top of the receiver food chain for receiver contest performance. This update along with the DSP board upgrade has made the K3 a very good to excellent general purpose all round radio.

The Synthesizer upgrade has not improved the RX audio IMD. Its still poor on the K3. Maybe Elecraft will offer an upgrade for the audio amplifier chain that improves the K3 even further in this area.

The only other upgrade that the K3 needs to make the K3 the best radio on the market is a upgrade for the 100 watt amplifier. This would improve the TX crud and IMD on transmit.

Buying a K3 with all the improvements offered to date has made the K3 one of the best buys. Rather than buying a new radio, just upgrading it has saved me from having to buy a new radio to keep up with technology performance improvements. Knowing that my K3 will have phase noise performance as good as the 15 thousand dollar Hilberling and new Icom IC-7851 radios makes me very positive about investing in the Elecraft brand which was a rocky road after feeling very disappointed.

The K3 is a mature product now that will delight discerning radio owners. It is great that Elecraft is committed to improving and offering upgrades to the K3 platform. Please keep the improvements coming its the cheap option for me considering the performance that you get when buying upgrades to the K3.

K1PMA Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2015 17:15 Send this review to a friend
Expensive but very good.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Let me state right here at the beginning that I do find the radio to be pretty expensive once it is loaded with many (not even all) options...mine came to about $4,000.

But although I was somewhat skeptical in the beginning (having had a 590S, FT3000, Flex 6300) after using the radio for 4 months I must say it is an excellent piece of equipment. And I am not even into CW which appears to be a real strong point of this radio.

Although the K3 will not win a beauty contest it kind of grows on you. The display is not flashy but very functional. All the knobs and buttons feel solid. I am glad the knobs are not of the 'endless spin' variety which just doesn't work for me. Since most of what I do is DX SSB the way how I sound to other and how the audio output sound to me is most important and I am very happy in both respects. I get great modulation reports even though I using just the stock mic.

There are a gazillion options one can set and I have not even touched more than maybe 10. One thing I miss is that the radio does not remember the last 3 frequencies used on a band for quick recall like the 590S does (by just pressing the band button).

The KPA500 amp is a great match to the K3. Auto band switching and easy setup, just great.

So in summary I would say if you can afford a somewhat tricked out K3 go for it, if under $2000 is your max get a Kenwood 590SG.

W3HBM Rating: 4/5 Nov 28, 2014 06:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent but costly  Time owned: more than 12 months
Built it from kit in late 2010. Got the sub-Rx, 3 filters (5 pole) for each Rx, the 100W amp, the optional I/O but not the autotuner. Used regularly on CW, SSB and data almost every day since. Have now added the LP-Pan, LP-Bridge and NaP3 pan display system since the P3 was a bit too rich for me. A few problems keep my score from being a 5:
1) The monitor volume cannot be made to adjust along with the main audio volume; I would think this would be an option in the menus. I sent an email to Elecraft about this years ago, with no response.
2) Since I do not have high-speed internet connectivity, I have to update from a flash stick. There is no mechanism (email?) to alert me when this should be done.
3) The programmer's manual is not complete, and changes are made to the programming commands without notice. (e.g., changing from FW to BW commands.) There seems to be no command to reset the DSP filter shift to 1.5 KHz, and it must be so set for the BW commands to work properly.

I can understand that the Elecraft folks got interested in the KX3 and the P3 to the neglect of other things. However, continued attention to their "flagship" product would seem appropriate.

W4GE Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2014 20:59 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am a long term (since 2011) user of the K3 and have now built an entire station around the rig including the P3 panadapter, KPA500 amplifier, and the KAT500 tuner. The kits were straightforward and easy to build given the step by step instructions. I wish there had been some soldering, but the fun was in seeing how precisely all the components and chassis parts fit together. Amazing what CNC machining can do these days with tolerances!

The K3 and all other kits worked perfectly once the fuses were put in and powered up. The calibration steps were simple and the result? What can I say, amazing performance for a radio this size, and surpassing radios of 5x the size and weight (as if size and weight had anything to do with performance). For the past three years this rig has been through daily and weekly nets, DXing, and Contests with nary a hiccup. The close in band filtering is amazing, (I have the 8 pole filters), and having the data modes directly read out from the rig is slick. I have almost everything on this one and it all just works. Firmware updates keep the software up to date. It is a great rig and you can keep upgrading it over the years with the available kits. I finally got the sub receiver and decided to tell other eHams about my experience with the K3. Finally, I must say the accessory I use the most these days is the P3. It allows another dimension to working the bands. Absolutely fabulous!

And its made in the US!

KC0CWU Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2014 07:32 Send this review to a friend
very good, still learning  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I lost a 2 radio single op Ten Tec station last year to a house fire and replaced it with the K3/100 I am really impressed with the performance in busy band condx just finished the SS and did not have a situation where I could not copy due to qrm. This thing might be better than the Omni 6 plus I lost. I spent a lot of money (blue collar guy here)but quality and performance costs. If I add a second radio to the shack it will be a K3/100
73 kc0cwu..

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2014 10:48 Send this review to a friend
BEST RADIO OWNED  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Now owning my second K3 for almost six months.
First one after eight years of succesful use was sold to my desperate to own a K3 old friend, then I purchased this one serial 8077, first was serial 2192.
Once again my jaws are falling with its high performance. I have owned recently the two high claimed performance radios, the IC-7700 and the TS-990, I have to say the 7700 was close in performance to the K3 but not better, the TS990 not even close and not better neither, only radio I have owned that is like a K3 but bigger was the TT Orion II which for me was almost identical in performance, just few differences.
As usual, the CW on this new K3 is the best in the world, I have the 400 and 250 Hz filters on both of my two receivers and the 6.0, 2.8 and 1.8 Khz on the main receiver.
Normally my qth is a noisy enviroment, sorrounded by manmade noises and also a 33KW power line running over my home at just 40 feet up, I do have days of S9+10db power noise, that is not a big deal having a K3 RX, the NB will wipe it out without any distorsion on the received audio.
Last night there was a station from Africa on 20M that was buried in the noise with a 439 signal in CW, engaged my NB, my NR, the 250Hz roofer, then finally the dual PB audio filter and Bingo, that station sounded so clear as a 599 local station, worked it easily with no problem, normally I could never pull weak stations like I am doing now when I had the very expensive radios like the ones mentioned before.
Someone wrotte a review complaining how hard is to set the RX and TX audio using the internal EQ, I totally disagree with that, is very easy of course if you know what you are doing, best thing to do is to have a second receiver side by side that be capable to receive at least 3 Khz bandwith and do your settings to tailor your own voice to what you like, even the builtin monitor sound very natural and clear, it won't give you the exact audio you are sending out although is the best monitor I have heard.
Is it an expensive radio to own? yes and not, it all depend how critical you are in terms of performance, after all if you see today the high performance radios on the market from Japan, will cost over 6 and over 8 grand, so its not a big deal to load your K3 if you can afford it, it sure will be much better than any other one and so light that you will be able to take it anywhere.
Is it an ugly radio? Yes it is compared with a modern Icom or Kenwood or even Yaesu radios that look like a xmas tree all light up but with a lower performance, its just a matter of getting use to the physical look of your K3, after you sit and operated it for sometime you will change your mind and will see it "pretty".
Without a doubt the technical support of Elecraft is the best in this world, most of the time you will not need to send the radio out for repair because they will send you the damaged part of board if you know how to replace it shorting out the time for you to be off the air and also to save lot of money with no shiping costs and wait.These radios at long term are very reliable, my first K3 I owned for eight years only had a slight problem they fixed sending me the board that I replaced and it was just 3 days off.
I am a strong follower of Elecraft radios, I have owned for 3 years a K2 as well and it was one of its kind beating many big expensive radios.
Thanks Elecraft for helping the hams community making excellent radios.

Hector