Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | SWISS ANTENNA MATCHING SYSTEM (SAMS) Help

Reviews Summary for SWISS ANTENNA MATCHING SYSTEM (SAMS)
SWISS ANTENNA MATCHING SYSTEM (SAMS) Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $3,050 to 4,250 ex factory
Description: Highly efficient high power matching system for both symmetrical and unsymmetrical random length antennas of any geometry over a wide range of frequencies. The outdoor unit containing the actual matching network is contained in a completely weather proof box which is either manually or automatically adjusted by the control box in the shack linked to the TRX. Consequently the system is also capable to accurately and efficiently match an antenna to the precise RX-frequency without the need to transmit a signal thus providing additional preselection. The matching system will easily handle full legal power (1.5KW) key down over a very wide range of impedances and may be used for rf powers up to 2.5 KW within a slightly more restricted range of impedances. Placing the matching network on the outside of the building provides for ease of transfer of rf-power from the shack to the antenna and for best possible protection from RFI problems both in the shack and in the premises.
The system comes in a variety of versions from remotely tuning of one antenna only to automatic tuning of two or more antennas incl. heavy duty lighting protection and the capability to switch additional fixed capacitors for matching an even wider range of impedances.
More info: http://hbag.ch/en/produkte/category/antennen-anpassung-2

You can write your own review of the SWISS ANTENNA MATCHING SYSTEM (SAMS).

SM5HTL Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2008 07:00 Send this review to a friend
GREAT MATCHING SYSTEM DOING THE JOB...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

I was looking for a remote-controlled matching network wich could be installed at the
feed-in point of the antenna . The symmetry and
impedance should be garantied to exactly 50 ohms unbalanced, and laid out for
continuous high loading up to 2.5 KW or moore. It should be
configured to handle a few ohms up to and above 1000 ohms, as for the reactance.
I also could not accept a surplus solu-
tion, but wanted my outfit to be using the
most high-end technology available.
The control unit should be situated in the shack, enabling adjustment of
all the components of the outdoor network, manually or
automatically operated.
I want my antenna-matching system to do a lot more for my new station set up, working mostly 160 m, than those commercially constructed. On the market at the time I could just find one system that fulfilled my wishes
*********The SAMS antenna tuner**********
The service and assistance by the factory is outstanding.

I use a Ten-Tec Orion II as primary tranciever ( what a rig ) and a Yaseu ft 2000 as sec.tranciever. The amp is a Acom 2000A going out to a Titanex 160 HD 27 m. vertical antenna. The Rx antenna is the K9AY loop system. All equipment working smothly together. I am really 100% satisfied with this tuner.

And I could tell you…IT WORKS…

SM5HTL
// Krister Julinder

K9MBS Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2007 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Top-Notch Remote Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
K9MBS Rating 5/5 July 11,2007

Time owned - 15 months

Very efficient, fast tune, high power, no problems!

I purchased the SAMS after looking for a tuner that could be mounted a good distance from the shack, would accept high power and would tune 1.8 - 30 MHz with a 500 foot wire.
I found with other tuners that their construction was poor, they were susceptible to lightning, and had many (holes),spots that would not tune with a 500 foot wire. Plus, they would only handle 200 watts (actually that is probably (PEP).

Therefore, I contacted Heinz Boli (HB9KOF) of SAMS and decided to purchase my tuner (serial #1-USA). I'm thrilled with this device. Mine was ordered with two Ant Ports and an extra bank of capacity. I have had no problems, just fun moving around all the bands. Lightning has not been an issue nor has power. No flashes or arcs, just smooth - fast - easy tuning. I have mounted mine on a 6 x 6 piece of treated lumber about 10 feet from the ground and about 25 feet from the shack, where I can see the unit with it's glass front at all times. What satisfaction everytime I look at this device. I have not used it in the automatic mode yet, because I have been using various transceivers, however I have ordered the matching cables. I use the T-network because of the success of my 500 ft wire. My wire now favors the northeast, however, I am installing another wire favoring the west utilizing the second Ant Port on the unit. SAMS is the only unit of it's type that I know of other than military surplus units that would be very difficult to configure and to interface.
SAMS has a winner!

HB9CVE Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2007 08:28 Send this review to a friend
top solution  Time owned: more than 12 months
I must just say that it works perfectly. For 10 to 20 meters I use my beam, but for 30 to 160 meters I am running a dipole 2 x 40 meters long with the SAMS between. The SWR can be tuned easily to 1:1 together with my 1 kilowatt output station. Handling is easy and the SAMS-autotune helps to adjust the right SWR immediately.

F5FQR Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2007 11:38 Send this review to a friend
Boîte d'accord automatique pro!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Boîte d’accord automatique haute puissance.

Le cahier des charges d’une antenne radio amateur peut parfois être compliqué, voire impossible à exécuter, particulièrement dans le cas d’émission urbaine, opération multi bandes ou encore dans un environnement sensible aux perturbations électromagnétiques.

Parce qu’elle est capable de supporter les plus hautes puissances qui alimenteront des antennes symétriques avec ligne bifilaire (dipôles, loops), ou des antennes conventionnelles asymétriques (Yagi, long fil), la boîte d’accord Sams est unique car elle permet de subvenir à tous les besoins de l’émission en décamétrique et ce avec excellence.

Complètement étanche dans une armoire technique, la boîte d’accord se branche au plus près de l’antenne (fini la corvée du passage de la bifilaire de la station à l’antenne)
et peut être commandée soit manuellement, soit par l’émetteur automatiquement.

Voici en bref les caractéristiques techniques :
• adaptation d'antennes symétriques ou asymétrique
• Sortie bifilaire ou coaxiale
• réponse fréquentielle de * 1.8 à 18 (30) MHz
• alimentation 50 ohms coaxiale
• puissance continue admissible de * 2.5 kw
• plage d'adaptation ** d'environ 10 ohms à plus de 1000 ohms.
• Plage de compensation de la réactance ** +/- 1000 ohm
• construction dans une armoire technique étanche et robuste
• contrôle depuis la station
• contrôle automatique, manuel ou en présélection, cad accords mis en mémoire et rappeler rien que l’en tournant le VFO de l’émetteur !
• construction robuste avec utilisation d’éléments standard
• Construction professionnelle suisse exempt de tout reproche
• Protection foudre professionnelle

Toutes mes précédentes boîtes d’accord ont un jour fumé, non par faute de l’opérateur, mais parce qu’elles étaient mal étudiées. Aujourd’hui, grâce à l’incroyable Sams je suis réconcilié avec les antennes symétriques. Construite comme un appareil professionnel, elle est conçue pour durer. Les asservissements de commandes de moteur sont idéalement pensés : vitesses variables, mémoires, présélection, visualisation des positions des organes de couplage.

Certes le prix est en conséquence, mais à mettre en parallèle à d’autres système d’antennes aussi chères (Yagi) quand on considère tous leurs accessoires périphériques, et qui par faute de dégagement ne fonctionnent pas vraiment et cela que pour un fonctionnement limité à quelques bandes!

Si vous souhaitez acquérir un prix, passez votre chemin.
Si vous voulez un véritable appareil professionnel digne d’une station de diffusion et restant pratique à l’usage, cet équipement est pour vous.

Je ne regrette vraiment pas d’avoir revendu mes anciens matériels et économisé, le jeu en vaut vraiment la chandelle

Difficile de vous en persuader ? Ecouter mes signaux cela vous convaincra, à vos disposition sur l’air !

Distributeur Belgo-Français avec plus de photos http://www.rondini.be

DJ3WE Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2007 13:31 Send this review to a friend
High power, highly efficient, automatic, no problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
In my case I have to do with just one single antenna for all 9 bands from 160m to 10m. It's a dipole of 65.6m length and a maximum height of only 11m. The dipole is bent several times in all three plains. Its ends are sloping to 3m resp. 6m. In other words it is a pretty awkward antenna. Yet, I love contesting and consequently I need to feed as much rf power into the antenna as I possibly can in order to make my signals heard in contests.

It is definitively a non trivial problem to feed a random length of wire with high rf power on all bands. I quickly found out about the seriousness of the problem when buying an antenna tuner rated at 3 KW from a well advertised high volume US producer. The unit went up in smoke after just a couple of days in the first serious contest effort.

I then just happened to come across an article about the Swiss antenna matching system. The principle of separating the matching network - the outdoor unit - from the control box and the power amplifier in the shack immediately appealed to me. Modeling my antenna with EZNEC 4+
resulted in an antenna resistance ranging from about 8 Ohms on 160m to somewhere around 2.6 KOhms on one of the WARC bands. The application of a ladder type feed line of initially 18m yielded a resistance at the input of the feed line - as modeled by TLW - of in between about 10 Ohms on 160m to more than 3 KOhms on another WARC band.

I supplied this set of information to the factory. Heinz, HB9KOF, the owner of the factory and chief designer of the SAMS was optimistic that the SAMS could solve the matching problem.

I believe I was one of the first customers to buy the SAMS. The system shipped to me employed a high pass T-network for the matching job ( 2 variable capacitors, 1 roller inductor). Indeed, after a little bit of prooning the feed line - I increased the length of the feed line first by 1m, thereafter by another meter to altogether 20m for a better match on 160m - the SAMS matched my antenna on any frequency on all of the 9 ham radio bands at full power.

That was quite an achievement and I was very happy with the results. However, what I did not like so much was the inherent feature of a high pass T-network that there are various combinations of capacitance and inductance which provide a perfect match, however at various levels of efficiency. In other words at some combinations of capacitor and inductor settings the inductor became quite hot.

The factory then generously agreed to buy back the matching network and substitute it by a low pass network consisting of two adjustable inductors and one variable capacitor which may be automatically switched from the input side to the output side of the matching network. This configuration yields only one set of inductances and capacitance for a perfect match and this combination of L and C provides at the same time the highest possible efficiency.

I have been using this system for more than a year and for more than 10,000 QSOs in very heavy contesting both in SSB - with compressor switched on - and in CW under fierce winter conditions, in a hot summer under full sunshine and in heavy rain without any problems. However one might have to slightly adjust the automatic tuning under heavy rain or ice. But that is not a shortcoming of the matching network but a consquence of changing antenna input impedance under such weather conditions.
I have opted for the automatic version, i.e. the only thing I have to do in contesting is to tune my TRX, all the rest is fully automatic incl. of course very frequent band changes due to the ALPHA 87A amplifier at 1.5 KW out and the SAMS.

When recently checking with the factory I learned that meanwhile a wider range of models is available. There now is the possibility to order models for 2 or more antennas and it is also possible to opt for automatically switching fixed capacitors into and out of the network for an even wider range of impedances to be matched. One may also include a heavy duty lightning protection into the matching network.

The service and assistance by the factory is outstanding. Having a look at the components used in the matching network - roller inductors on ceramic body, relays with ceramic insulation and widely spaced contacts, widely spaced capacitor - gives you an impression of what Swiss quality really is all about.

To put it in a nutshell, I can honestly recommend the SAMS to the serious short wave ham especially to the top notch high power contester.