Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | B & W AP-10 Portable Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for B & W AP-10 Portable Antenna
B & W  AP-10 Portable Antenna Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $89.
Description: Portable/Window Whip Antenna
More info: http://www.bwantennas.com/ap10a.htm

You can write your own review of the B & W AP-10 Portable Antenna.

AA1UY Rating: 4/5 Mar 31, 2001 12:01 Send this review to a friend
Superseded by AP-10A  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
W4RK in his review, would appear to be referring to the AP-10A rather than the AP-10. The (older) AP-10 had a *set* of interchangeable coils; one for each band. The newer AP-10A has a single tapped coil which is much more convenient for band changes. I would concur with his review (Mar 30) and I too use it (the AP-10A) to good effect with an LDG Z-11 and as W4RK says, this is just to save time exactly setting the counterpoise length.

W4RK Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2001 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Nice for Portable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used this antenna for the first time last week on a hiking trip in the Smoky Mountains. Used it from the cabin in the evenings with a Yaesu FT-817 (5 watt QRP Rig) and LDG Electronics Z-11 Autotuner. Great results with DX and ragchews on 20 and 40 Meter CW. The autotuner would not have been strictly needed due to ease of obtaining good match with coil taps and counterpoise length, but just made things more convenient with QSY's. This antenna still obeys the laws of physics, but does a very good job for its size. I'd be happy to respond to direct email requests if you need further info. Bill W4RK (w4rk@arrl.net)

KC8MBN Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2001 23:27 Send this review to a friend
Works Well  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Use it for 15, 20 and 40 meters because of restrictions and xyl. Works very well on 15, o.k. on 20 and 40. About the same signal quality as my 10 meter dipole. Very pleased.

W2BRI Rating: 4/5 Feb 16, 2001 17:46 Send this review to a friend
Latest Update: Fixed!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well folks, I called the people over at B&W about my tuning problem, and they lead me in the right direction. They were nice and helpful, and I guess that's the most you can ask for. The antenna is working again, and my problems have been solved. It seems that my "improvments" were not working out, and they were in fact the problem to start with. Good luck and enjoy!

W2BRI Rating: 2/5 Feb 12, 2001 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Update: Frustrated  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I thought an update was in order. This antenna has left me a bit frustrated. It worked OK in the begining, but I am finding it harder and harder to tune it. It is ending up to be a bit more frustrating.

W2BRI Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2001 13:52 Send this review to a friend
It Works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This little antenna works well if you need an on the go or portable "quick breakdown and setup" system. I've used it extensively on 40 and 20 meters. Not as good as my full sized dipole, but only an S-unit or 2 lower most of the time. Actual construction and quality is OK for 89 bucks, but I expected a bit more. I've made some improvements to the design for band changing and other misc. items. Send me an email if your interested and I'll tell you what I did. The fact that it breaks down into 1 foot pieces and is easy to transport makes up for its shortcomings.

WB2AZE Rating: 3/5 Dec 1, 2000 16:51 Send this review to a friend
good for backup antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used the AP-10 on and off during the last few years. It does not work as good as a full sized verticle. But it does work fairly well and I use it as a backup antenna in case something happens to my 5-BTV. Be careful as to how much power you run, might want to try QRP as you will get TVI/RFI.

73...Dave WB2AZE

KB8RTW Rating: 2/5 Apr 27, 2000 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Not worth the trouble  Time owned: more than 12 months
Although an inivative idea, it just doesnot do the trick. I am stationed overseas in Japan, and I decided to try using it outside my BEQ window. The instructions do not go deep enough into setting up this Contraption. But once the main setup is up, you still have a wire you uncoil to the right length to tune it somehow. No matter if I took the instructions estimite, or played with it, I never got under a 3:1 on any band. And the coils that you inter-change, begin to degrade after a few changes, and there shape gets all messed up. Preformance was barely par, with just the mainland, okinawa, South Korea, and Philipinies being able to hear me on 21Mhz, but my Mobile Comet (HV4 ?) worked AZORES stiking out the window. Dont waist the money or frustration. It works, but barely