Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ten-Tec Titan 425 Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Titan 425
Ten-Tec Titan 425 Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3195.00
Description: Full QSK, pair of 3CX800A7 tubes, 1500W output.
More info: http://www.qsl.net/tentec/

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Titan 425.

KD0BQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2011 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was fortunate enough several years ago to purchase my Titan 425 from the family of a local silent key. It had been in storage for some time and I had to have Ten Tec replace the bias board and eventually I replaced all eight of the power supply electrolytic capacitors which shorted causing overdrive issues. Thankfully the CX-800A finals were okay.

Since the repairs the amp has run flawlessly and yes I learned it is important to follow the manufacturer recommendation regarding drive power. It easily puts out 1500 watts, simple to tune, especialy if you write down the settings for every band. Even considering the initial repairs the outlay has been well worth it.
The Titan 425 is a fantastic amplifier.

KC6RCM Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2011 22:10 Send this review to a friend
Reliable over the years.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Ten Tec 425 has been a reliable amplifier for me since I purchased it new in 1990. The only issue that I experienced was the input bias circuit board located in the rf deck. I talked to the service department about the problem and in a few days the replacement board arrived with the enclosed invoice noting to please send back the old board along with a payment of $30.00 for the cost of the new circuit board.

It was convenient to be able to call Ten Tec service and discuss the problem with a knowledgeable technician. To troubleshoot and resolve the issue without having to ship the entire unit for repair saves time and money.

The amplifier is very easy to tune and fits in nicely with other similarly styled Ten Tec equipment in one's shack.

N9FDE Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2010 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
As one of the other reviewers had said, I have the Good Fortune to have come across a 425 Golden Titan #49. I don't know how that happened but it has made it to my bench and I think it will stay there for a long time to come. This amp tunes so fast that you can't believe it. I have to say though if this is your first BIG amp be careful when loading it and by all means use the factory preset starting positions in the manual, it will get you to the right place and fast. This amp does not load like your little AL80A, and if you try to load it like that you'll be way off and the tubes will not like you very much. When properly loaded this amp is silent and makes no "Grunting" at all. As a matter of fact you can barely hear the relay kick in, and with 40 to 50 watts of drive this thing will do legal limit all day long with very little heat. This amp has a bunch of head room and will easily do around 2300 out if driven to hard. Have a good watt meter that is accurate, I use a Tel-post digital and find that most all needle type meters just are not fast enough. All in all this amp is a keeper and I think one of the best that Ten-Tec ever made. Very clean construction and has a great power supply and best of all the power supply is on the floor and out of the way. Yes the tubes for this amp are expensive but are easy to find, But if you treat this amp right and take care in your loading the tubes will last your life time.
If they had a 10 in the rating I would give it that.

N9FDE
Bill

W6IML Rating: 4/5 Feb 13, 2010 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Smooth amp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I wanted a small kilowatt amp for my desktop, so I bought a used Titan 425. I was told the amp was in primo shape, but it was not quite "primo" imo. The case was missing two fasteners, and had a few scratches on the case and remote P/S. No big deal, I painted the P/S case and replaced the missing fasteners.
I fired it up and it lit up very nicely. After the manditory warm up, I loaded up on twenty. At first, it loaded smoothly and quickly, but when I had it up to the 1500 watt legal limit, the remote P/S started grunting, and loudly. I knew then I would have to do something about the noise...sending 20wpm and listening to "bzz bzz bzz" every time I sent was very distracting.
The QSK was very smooth indeed. Typical Ten Tec, and I was quite pleased with the quick smooth silent [other than the P/S bzz bzz]operation of the QSK option.
SSB was, in a word, great. No snap, pop, or any other noises from the amp at any power out level. On all bands from 80 thru 10, 1500 watts output measured with my trusty Bird 43 with the 2500 watt slug.
I worked and worked on the P/S to get rid of the bzz bzz...no joy. I decided to sell the amp and let someone else deal with the bzz bzz. I asked and got what I originally paid for this Titan 425.
All in all, a good amp, other than that infernal BZZ BZZ!
If you find one, check the P/S before buying.

VE3YZR Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2010 23:57 Send this review to a friend
A Toyota of amps  Time owned: more than 12 months
Reliable, durable, meets or exceeds expectations, without braking that bank account.
Simple to use, quiet, low drive for high output.
Herculean power supply.

No, it is not a Formula 1, but those have a different price point.

If you want a work horse and see it used, do get it.
Review the PS, change caps maybe.

Ragchew with it until the lips fall off, a keeper!

N1JMS Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2009 19:58 Send this review to a friend
A Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
Clean and simple design, compact size, EZ to tune and rock-solid. Made it the USA. Simple to repair. What else do you need or want from an HF amp?

TI2TL Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2007 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp Good Looking  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this amp not so long ago but I would like to report that it does much more than I expected. The amp performes very well in SSB (only mode I work) and gives my modulation a bit more of "body", it sounds better, more "full" and it gives me a punch like I used the Compressor of the radio. For what concerns power it can deliver more than the published, it gives you more than 2Kw CW on any band, driving it with 100W. The looks are amazing it is very small, just like having another transiver on the deck. The only issue I can tell is that the blower is noisy but depending on the type of mode you work it can affect or not. I would buy it again 100% and I can recomend anyone that likes a good amp at a reasonable used price to buy it. Don't worry about the tubes you can swap them with 3cpx800A7 without any canges (told by tentec).

KC1QF Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2007 11:15 Send this review to a friend
Great amp - lasts forever  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two Titan amplifiers. They work like a dream as long as you watch the drive level. They do have safety circuitry which turns them off when you give too much drive, but the circuit that does this has an adjustable potentiometer so it defeats the safety purpose if you need to adjust this.

They provide more than 1.5KW but I use them with 45Watts of drive from a Paragon for legal limit.

Both of miine came from stations used in the Gulf War and they have had tough times but operate with no problems.

The only mod: I changed the high voltage cables with the Millen connectors to cables with special commercial high voltage connectors.

Touch amps and they should last forever. Pity today's amps aren't built to these specifications, or this tough.

WR3S Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2007 18:48 Send this review to a friend
THE REAL DEAL!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have # 5 of the Golden Series. It works GREAT. I saved several $$$ over buying new.
THANKS WR3S for pointing me in the 425 direction!

WF2S Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2007 19:40 Send this review to a friend
WorkHorse  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned this amp for more than a decade and it has never failed. I run long winded RTTY QSOs and cw/ssb for several hours some days and with less than 30 watts drive, I am able to make one or two calls to snag the rare DX and get a new one in the log. I've met the people that made the amp and never regretted parting with the $$. 572Bs and 3-500Z amps have left me cold and were sold off long ago.