Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | TE Systems TE 4452G Help

Reviews Summary for TE Systems TE 4452G
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 2.7/5 MSRP: $795
Description: UHF linear amp giving minimum 160W out with about 30 to 40W in. Driver is an MRF650 and the 2 parallel final stages are fitted with 4 x MRF648 transistors. Power can climb up to 200Wout with 13.8V

You can write your own review of the TE Systems TE 4452G.

W4AMP Rating: 0/5 May 17, 2016 20:35 Send this review to a friend
4454G Never worked  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This review is for a TE 4454G, which was a special order.

Decided to increase power on 222 and 432 last Xmas. Purchased a 2252G and a specially built 4454G. I have run a 1454 and 2212G for years.

I asked for a 4454G as my exciter is a Icom 910H and I needed a preamp for this band. Use a Powergate
and with the power cable and associated loss most I get out of the exciter is about 50 watts.

Had amp in line for about a month and made several contacts with it. It worked great, and put out the specified 180 watts with 50 watts of drive. Pre amp worked as well.

Then for some reason the exciter started folding back from the amp input. Tried a Yaesu FT400DR as an exciter, tried different length jumpers,used different meters and checked swr on both antennas used. Bypassing the amp problem disappeared. Sent the amp back for warranty repair. Dave tells me there is nothing wrong with the amp, it checks out fine. I then ask him what the output of the amp is and he says they did not check that. I then ask him why would they not and how could they say it was ok if they don't know the output? The next day he says it is ok and ships it back.

910H and FTM400DR had been working fine into my M2 and vertical the whole time. As soon as I put the 4454G back in line the exciter folds back to 10 watts input again. Which only yielded about 70 watts out, exactly like when I shipped it out in the first place. Went through the whole trouble shooting process with different length input jumpers, different exciters, different meters, on and on. Nothing changes.

Then the amp fails all together. Exciter drive was never over 50 watts, the amp is rated per advertised specs 60-80 watts drive.

Dave tells me I should have never run over 25 watts through the amp when it is switched off. I have never heard of an amp that will not pass the drive power when it is switched off. He always laments about how busy he is. I would say that is due to the many failures of his recently made products. I found out other hams here in Georgia and Florida have experienced the same problems I have. TE used to make an outstanding product. Don't know what has happened but I will never get another product from them again. Sent this one back for good and got my money back from the card company. Still out hundreds due to shipping this amp and the 2252 G back several times.

The pre amp never failed though.

Highly disappointed and out a lot of money.

K0HPS Rating: 4/5 Aug 30, 2007 14:31 Send this review to a friend
Some initial problems but fine now  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I first installed the amp back in 1994 it quickly developed problems with T/R switching. Returned it under warranty and after a fairly long turn around time it came back with a new T/R switching board and an output circuit update. It's been fine since then. I'm powering it with an Astron RS-70M through <5 ft. of #4 primary cable and I can get about 180-W out with 25-W in, although I rarely drive it that hard.

F5DQK Rating: 4/5 May 12, 2007 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Transforming a 4452RA into a 4452G version  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'd recently buy a QRT "technician special" TE 4452RA amplifier only intended for class C operation. After substituting the 4 x MRF648 final transistors it'd work again giving 160Wout with 35Win at 12.5V. In order to transform it into the linear G version, I'd extract it from its previous rack, then add the Guardian electric TRx relay + both separate DC bias for MRF648 driver and final stages + internal temperature switch + printboard DC sockets for future front panel and RF commutation + PTT cinch socket + manual PTT switching board. I need now an adequate front panel, and the G transformation'll be finished.

For these output powers, the TE printboard is exactly the same for all 50, 144 and 435 MHz versions.
I also have the project of making the RFoutput to RFinput connectors DC compatible, target beeing directly feeding a masthead preamp with a rig like the FT-847 giving the +12V bias on the antenna coaxial cable when required. The same'll be done on my TE 1452G. What is the utility of an internal preamp especially on 432 MHz SSB or CW contacts???
The mashead preamp is THE only solution.

3 weeks ago I'd ask TE Systems some help via letter but didn't get any help until now. Curious that in year 2007 thay don't have a little web site and that they are soooo difficult to reach!!

A Powerpoint description of all transformations I did and an Excel Pout/Pin curve is available on request.
PS: in order getting exact metal clad mica capacitor values, do anybody have its UHF internal scheme ?? It'll be greatly appreciated.