Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7700 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7700
ICOM IC-7700 Reviews: 126 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $6999.95
Description: Description: The ICOM 7700 200W HF/6M has been introduced at the 2007 Dayton Hamvention. ICOM has followed all the success of the beautiful IC-7800 with the smaller, single receiver IC-7700. It utilizes two separate 32-bit floating point TI DSP chips, has a 7-inch wide TFT display, built in RTTY/PSK31 receive and transmit using a USB Keyboard interface, external video connection, high res spectrum scope, plus high voltage MOSFET 200 Watt PA.

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7700.

K5UX Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2014 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Good design/great ergonomics  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm not going to bore folks with lab tests and numbers. Like many others, I have owned several of the high-end transceivers and have yet to find one that I didn't like. Each one has its respective pluses and minuses. I recently sold my Flex 6500 and wanted to get back to a more traditional transceiver. Nothing wrong with the 6500.....I just wanted to try something that was different. After reading the eHam reviews about the 7700 PA failures, I talked with Adam, VA7OJ about the issue. As it turns out, Icom redesigned the PA a few years ago and went with a single PA device rather than a pair of MRF150's. This change, along with other changes, was enough to convince me to try the "new" 7700. After owning the rig for over a month now, I have to say that it compares favorably with the other rigs I've owned during the past several years. I'm a casual SSB and CW operator and occasionally operate RTTY and PSK31. The 7700 build quality is outstanding and the performance is in the same ballpark as my previous TS990S, FTdx9000, K3, FTdx5000 and Orion 2, keeping in mind that the 7700 only has one receiver and does not have "dual watch". If you need two receivers, then this certainly isn't the rig for you. Most of my CW is weak signal work and the 7700 does a good job of pulling the weak ones out of the noise, particularly with the audio peak filtering. This is a heavy rig and not something you lug around the house without serious planning. Another item that convinced me to try the 7700 was the recent firmware release by Icom. They finally listened to their customers and added some very nice features like a waterfall and enhanced scope features. Bottom line is that the Icom 7700 a pleasure to operate. Ergonomics are good and performance is outstanding.

N2EAC Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2014 10:20 Send this review to a friend
UPDATED REVIEW  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been operating my IC-7700 for about 5 and 1/2 years. I usually ragchew on 160m and a little bit on 75m phone. I have owned and thrown out ( oops, I mean sold), and operated side-by-side as back up radios, a (1) a fully loaded Elecraft K-3 (built by Elecraft), (2) a Kenwood TS-870S, and an Icom IC-756ProIII. I have always received great audio reports (ok, I admit, I run an MXL Ribbon Mic, an 8 band W2IHY EQ, and a Symetrix 528e - but I have an NCS Multi-Switcher and all of the other radios mentioned had the benefit of the audio chain) and all I can say is that the Tx and Rx DSP is outstanding and blows away - no comparison to those other radios). All of my audio reports have been outstanding and the Rx DSP is equally outstanding with hours of pleasure in listening to the radio.

NOW Icom has updated the firmware in the past couple of days to ver 2.0. All, I can say about the IC-7700 is a new radio. Just a couple of the long list of upgrades include tremendously upgraded Tx/Rx scopes, add a USB Mouse now to the already USB Keyboard, increased Tx and Rx recording to a USB drive, direct remote rig control (no computer interface needed) and the list goes on.

I would think of it as being a single VFO version of the Icom IC-7800, the Yaesu FTdx-9000D, or the Kenwood TS-990S - each being great, first class transceivers (I have never operated the Hiberling PT-8000a, a Ten-Tec-Orion II - sorry to see it no longer being produced i cannot give a comparison, or the Yaesu FTdx-5000MP, each as I understand are first class transceivers).

In summary, all I can say is that Icom did an absolutely stellar job with the ver 2.0 firmware upgrade. Icom took an already great radio and made it greater. While it is not an inexpensive radio, it holds its own with other 1st Class style to the radios mentioned in the above paragraph (note - I intentionally do not include the K-3 in the list of great radios, I found the K-3 to be a poor quality Tx/Rx SDR radio, albeit, Elecraft could have shipped me a defective radio, but neither will they admit to it, nor did they make right on fixing the DSP problems, or compensate me for my significant financial loss, as I was out hundreds of $$$$$$ to sell the K-3). I enjoy operating this radio and can do so for hour at a time without fatigue. Without reservation, the Icom IC-7700 is an absolute "buy it" transceiver.

73, Ed, N2EAC

DL3NCR Rating: 3/5 Dec 22, 2013 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Problems with PA Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
Almost three years ago I had the opportunity to buy an IC-7700. It was a bargain offer from a dealer, just half a year old and in mint condition.
Having owned an IC-736 before, the receiver is a tremendous improvement. Pass Band filter can completely fade out adjacent signals and depth of the notch filter is very high.
You are able to pull signals out of QRM and noise where other transceivers are failing.
The display gives a lot of information at a glance. I was watching the evolution of graphical displays over the years. It first I considered them as a nice but superfluous gimmick.
But meanwhile I find it very useful and as all big vendors are offering rigs with graphical displays, one can truly say it has become a market standard.
I dont really miss the second receiver. If this is a show stopper for you, think about using skimmer software for CW and digital modes to accomplish the same.
Being operated at 44V, the MOSFET linear gives a tube like signal. A massive heat sink allows a high duty cycle and even 200W output does not really heat up the chassis.
So why just three stars ? Recently I became BFC member. You may have heard about this club concerning Yaesu TRX, especially FT-817, but also FT-857 and FT-897 to some extent.
Yes, its the Blown Finals Club. I wanted to operate on 160m and erected a Butternut HF-2V in my garden. There is a special coil for Top Band operation. I have ground-mounted the
antenna, using 20 radials of various length. Im also using the Top Loading Kit to improve bandwidth. Tuning was not easy, but with the help of a vector antenna analyser, I managed to
have resonance on all three desired bands (160/80/40m) with reasonable SWR (2.1@1830kHz).
After connecting the coax cable to the IC-7700, I measured SWR with the internal meter at low power. The values were about the same as on the VNA before. Then I increased power
slowly up to 200W. SWR did not change and I started a CQ. But after a few seconds, smoke came out of the rear part of the IC-7700 and power supply failed ! I thought that there
must have been some problem with the built in power supply. I checked fuses, but they were not blown. I tried to switch on the TRX and it immediately came back to life. But when
I wanted to start transmitting again, I noticed that there was almost no output any more. Horrified I detected that the finals must have been blown !
Soldering iron is not a stranger in my shack, but repairing the PA unit of the IC-7700 would definitely exceed my capabilities. So I contacted ICOM Europe what to do. They said that they would not directly accept a repair order, but I have to send in the TRX to an official ICOM dealer. They named me some and I picked out the one I had the best impression of.
I wrote a letter with the fault description and asked them for some sign of goodwill, as I could not blame myself having made something wrong (afterwards I made about 100 QSOs on 160m with my
FT-897, even using a linear).
The ICOM dealer directly sent the TRX to ICOM Europe when the read my letter !
I got a quote from ICOM either to repair the PA unit (new MOSFETs but PCB just fixed and not replaced, 665), or to replace the PA unit by a new one with a new design. For this alternative,
also the filter unit has to be replaced (1254). Although the second offer would cost almost double the price of the first offer, I decided for the new PA unit. I sent back a written order,
the ICOM dealer had prepared. After more than one week I phoned him to find out the delivery date. He told me to contact ICOM Europe directly. There I learned that the
delivery time of the new PA Unit cannot be told and would be at least four to five months ! But they offered me to exchange the PA unit with a new PCB, but old design.
Because I didnt want to wait for another half a year or so, I contritely agreed. The price would be in between previous two offers (999).
Got back my IC-7700 this week. Seems to work fine again, but I have not tested it on all band with all antennas and all working conditions (linear, tuner, digi modes and so on).

I am deeply disappointed that there was no sign of goodwill by ICOM. The fact that they have changed PA Unit design (together with Filter unit !) and that it cannot be delivered, clearly proves
me that I am not the only one and it is a series problem. Certainly they would never admit this. I have owned ICOM shortwave TRX, handhelds, mobile and VHF TRX for more than 25 years
(the list has become very long over the years). But most likely, the IC-7700 was the last one for me made by ICOM.

M0VPL Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2013 11:03 Send this review to a friend
Pure class  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have purchased an Icom 7700. I could have gone for the new TS-990 but after listening and operating both radio's I went for the icom 7700. ease of use, great filtering, and I dont need twin receivers. infact its nice to think all the effort has gone into 1. nothing wrong with the kenwood as i like kenwood equipment, have a mint 2004 TS-870s also TS-2000X had a TS-950sd FT-2000D prior to icom 7700 no comparison! no dout people find something to complain about, its human nature. but as a TOP line HF radio the IC-7700 takes some beating. like most radio's i would advise reading the book for a week or so because if you cant drive it you cant comment.

LA8KHA Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2013 05:12 Send this review to a friend
Just great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I,ve used Yaesu FT-1000 Mark V,Yaesu-FT 1000D,Yaesu FT-2000 and Icom IC-756 Pro.But the Icom IC-7700 is simply a much better radio.I bougth this second hand for some $5K and it`s worth every penny.

W3DIY Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2013 15:54 Send this review to a friend
After 2 years still a FB rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I dont get the negative comments.

Yes its a big and heavy radio, but the dimensions and weight are not an ICOM trade secret.

Yes its expensive, but used IC7700s are available for under $5K.

Yes it does not have second receiver and setting up split operation can take a few seconds, but its a contest rigyour station should be creating the pile ups.

Yes the S meter readings below S9 are stingy, but that only has meaning for the station you are working. I can hear the weak ones FB even though they dont move the meter.

The only complaint that I can relate to is the recovery delay caused by the AGC when receiving static pops. It is a bit slow using AGC Mid, AGC fast could be annoying when operating in contests. I am not a contester so it is not an issue for me.

I concur with all the positive comments so I wont repeat them.

G0MJK Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2013 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Difficult to find fault  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Having read the other reviews here I do sometimes wonder what people want. The receive performance is good for me although only slightly better than my 775DSP which I still have. I love the big VDU display with the spectrum scope and the fact that data modes are covered with a built in system. As to size, who one earth would buy one for mobile or portable use? Looking only the comments about the Yaesu FTDX 5000 I tried one and did not like it at all. Equipment is always a matter of personal preference and I find it difficult to fault this one.

G3RCE Rating: 3/5 Sep 1, 2013 14:59 Send this review to a friend
FTDX5000 best of all  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Having just read the AD4C2006 reviews on the 7700 and K3
and his condemnation of the FTDX5000 I thought I'd give my opinions.
I owned a 7700 back in 2007, kept it for 6 months then sold it. Did not like it, heavy, expensive and just a poor performer compared to the FTDX5000, the new FTDX3000 and the K3
The 7700 is up conversion and just does not have the close in performance etc of the other radios I have just mentioned.
It's even more expensive now, can't understand anyone buying it with so much choice.
The FTDX5000 is pure base station quality and in my opinion there is nothing to beat it.
73 Robert

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2013 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Great radio to own  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got mine a month ago to replace the disappointing FTDX-5000 that did not pass my expectations.
So far I have not found any factory design problem or working defect, my PA is ok giving 200W in all bands, tuner works well tuning swr as high as 3 to 1 although I never use it, all my antennas are below 1.5 swr.
The floor noise is as low as my six years old fully loaded K3.
RX audio quality is better than the K3 and also better than the gone FTDX5000.
Tx audio quality using the simple to set TX EQ is much better than the K3 and as well as the 5000.I have it hooked up to a Heil PR-40.
No second RX? yes, true but that is not an issue to work dx in split mode because using the "XFC" key you can hear your own TX freq to set it up over the pileup either on cw or ssb.
Slectivity although not been so tight like my K3, is adecuate for dx work if using the DSP set to 1.8Khz and the Twin PBT set to 1.2K/-500 you can be at just 2Khz away from a strong station and still be able to tune the weak one in your freq with still very clear audio.
200W is very convenient for stations with high efficiency antennas, I only run 80W out of it to load my AL-82 at full legal power.ALC works great, no clipping at all.
Great feature of been able to connect a VGA monitor at the rear. I have a 17 inches monitor allowing me to see a big color screen.
The scope is perfect, fast and alive as good as my P3.
I don't have the S meter calibration issue said here, 50 microvolts read S9, 1 microvolt read S1. Most be that specific unit with lack of calibration.
For CW users the APF/TPF works great, even better than the APF from the K3.
NR is also better than the one at K3 and easier to set it up.
NB is excellent and it don't add any distorsion as the one at K3.
Sorry If I am comparing all these parameters with my K3 but for me the K3 is the benchmark of radios today, my personal opinion.
Knobs and keys are well designed, big and easy to set up, no need to be using so much the menu like many other radios.
Builtin power supply make it a perfect base station radio to keep for many years.
This is my very honest opinion,if you like to see some audio graphs on RX and TX go to qrz.com and check me up.
Thanks

Hector
AD4C

OE1TRB Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2013 21:58 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
A great Radio , well designed. the display is very well readable, you do not need any magnifier glass when I compare with other radios in this class. It will not leave my shack anymore, like other units after short test period...
The DNR works really with its noise reduction and no pixeling like others!
I can recommend the radio to other QRO OMs.
Vy 73 de Thomas from Vienna, Austria