Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7700 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7700
ICOM IC-7700 Reviews: 127 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $6999.95
Description: Description: The ICOM 7700 200W HF/6M has been introduced at the 2007 Dayton Hamvention. ICOM has followed all the success of the beautiful IC-7800 with the smaller, single receiver IC-7700. It utilizes two separate 32-bit floating point TI DSP chips, has a 7-inch wide TFT display, built in RTTY/PSK31 receive and transmit using a USB Keyboard interface, external video connection, high res spectrum scope, plus high voltage MOSFET 200 Watt PA.

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7700.

OE1TRB Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2013 21:58 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
A great Radio , well designed. the display is very well readable, you do not need any magnifier glass when I compare with other radios in this class. It will not leave my shack anymore, like other units after short test period...
The DNR works really with its noise reduction and no pixeling like others!
I can recommend the radio to other QRO OMs.
Vy 73 de Thomas from Vienna, Austria

WR5G Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2013 20:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned my IC-7700 now for almost 3 years and it is a wonderful rig! Since owning this Rig I have obtained my DXCC as well as the WPX Award for North America. I also have the IC-PW1 amplifier which works flawlessly with this rig... It is like having a 1KW HF rig. The transmit audio controls will allow you to fine tune your transmit audio for any microphone used. I use the Heil PR-780 microphone and have always received excellent audio reports.

NY0V Rating: 2/5 Jul 10, 2013 06:37 Send this review to a friend
Not for the DXr.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Rx on the 7700 is great. The filtering and DSP are excellent. The problem I found with it is that it is very difficult to use in a Split Freq/DX context. One would expect a second Rx and be able to hear both Rx audio simultaneously (and stereo). This rig will work for you if you contest or rag chew. But, for DX chasing, forget it. The 7700 is functionally closer to the FT3000 which is a $2.4K radio. Why spend $4.5K more for the 7700? It's an orphan in my book.

N4JBK Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2013 22:45 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like several folks I know have been through a lot of radios in my time in the hobby but this one is a keeper for sure. I had the opportunity to try this rig along with an Icom 7800 as well as other "high end " radios. The 7700 beat them all without breaking a sweat. The receiver is second to none, no it doesn't have a second receiver but I knew that going in so it didn't surprise me and I didn't look around in the box for it when the radio got here and so far I haven't missed it. I have had many radios with 2 rx's and I have some now but mu go to rig is the 7700 into the Command HF2500E.

JG1RVN Rating: 0/5 Apr 24, 2013 01:26 Send this review to a friend
Sorry I say 73  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is a splendid transceiver. I am perfect as far as I put it in the shack and look at a figure. However, IC -7700 does not have a sub RX. I am unsuitable for split communication of CW. Even if information appears in DX-cluster and pushes the power switch immediately, it takes dozens of seconds before I can transmit a message. The adoption of OCXO has the fault, too. Meanwhile, the pile up grows big and is lost forever at an opportunity of the communication with a rare overseas station. In addition, the FET finals burnt while an antenna tuner worked. With other transceivers, there is not such an accident. Depending on a part in the maker of the part is out of stock, and need several months for repair. Because I could not maintain such an expensive transceiver in future, I sold it off.

K9MHZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2013 19:12 Send this review to a friend
GREAT radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really enjoy owning this radio. I have one of the older serial numbers, but have had NO trouble with it at all....NONE, ZERO problems.

I do feel that the issue with the finals is a result of people hitting the rig hard with a terrible antenna impedance, and then merely pushing the antenna tuner button to get it to do its magic. I can't explain these PA problems described any other way....this rig has been ZERO trouble since I've purchased it new.

As for performance, it's a very, very nice rig to operate. The menus are nicely laid out, and the manipulation of the receiver filtering offers great flexibility in especially crowded band conditions. The DSP noise reduction is far better than those I've experienced in other brands, or even in the lower Icom line.

The waterfall is small, although it is consistent with what was offered back when the radio was newly designed.

To summarize.....I am a big fan of this radio and enjoy owning it very much. It has never given me an ounce of trouble....I'm either very lucky, or just very careful before I send any RF down the coax.

W4CAK Rating: 3/5 Jan 17, 2013 06:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig But.........  Time owned: more than 12 months
I loved using the 7700 and owned it for several years. I bought it new from HRO.

Near the end of the first year of ownership the finals failed. This was repaired under warranty. Later I noticed the drive was beginning to fail and decided the 7700 was just too expensive to continue to own with the potential expensive repairs. So, I sold it.

I really liked this rig and when it worked it was superb.

IF you are considering getting one of these rigs be sure and ask for the newer version nr, 12 serial number. These have the new finals and perhaps will hold up better. But BEWARE of getting a used one unless the drive circuity and PAs have both been replaced. Also ask about the logic board.

Great radio if it was reliable!

Toby W4CAK

HB9KL Rating: 2/5 Jan 11, 2013 06:18 Send this review to a friend
Very disappointed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the unit new about 4 years ago. The PA MOSFETs had also to be replaced recently as with all the numerous IC-7700. It seems that a protection circuit doesen't exist in this high end and expensive TRX.
The T/R relay hat to be replaced twice inspite of the very low control current of the non-Icom linear amplifier.
A short time ago I mesured the accuracy of the S-Meter and I was very much disapointed.

Sig. S-1 0.2 uV S-Meter reading S-0
S-7 12.5 uV S-3
S-8 25.0 uV S-6
S-9 50.0 uV S-8.4

Above level S-9 all readings are OK and within -1dB
I know all S-Meters are inaccurate below S-7 but this ICOM S-Meter is useless. For example a signal
with effective S-6 gets a report with S-1.
This is absolutely unacceptable.

May be this serious problem can be solved with a software update.

VK3TEX Rating: 4/5 Jan 8, 2013 20:15 Send this review to a friend
Good solid radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had it for 5 years now and really enjoy using it. All the bells
And whistles are very nice and I would be lost without
The scope. Very good receiver and transmitter.
I rate the tx as 5/5 but not the RX.
Reson being it suffers from AGC pops more than
My old icom 765 and has slightly less hearing ability...
Go figure?... Having said that, it has less background
Noise than the 765.
All in all very good but not great...
I will be looking closely at the new kenwood TS-990 when
It comes out and may upgrade to it if the RX is better than the
7700's.
Les, VK3TEX.

F6DFZ Rating: 2/5 Nov 27, 2012 01:43 Send this review to a friend
Think a lot before buying  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was on the verge to exchange my K3/P3 for a 2 years old IC7700. This rig is so impressive and built like a measuring instrument. I wanted also to stay with 200 W and sell my amplifier.
My K3/P3 is by far the best rig I have used, but it's so fine to try new rigs from time to time !
I shall not speak about the lake of a second receiver, when you buy this rig you know that.
I shall not speak about performances, each has its own advantages and out of the Hilberling the IC7700 is the best up conversion transceiver.
Laboratory tests are interesting but not always meaningful on the air as real SSB and CW signals have often a large spectrum due to transmit intermodulation or key clicks which are often prevalent over receiver close signals IMD3 characteristics. So, for me, even on CW, the IC7700 is a very good rig.
But I shall speak about it's size. It's very deep and my desk was just OK to receive it. Because of its deep, you look at it with a high angle and the display vanishes and become very difficult to read.
The bad point versus the K3/P3 is the spectrum scope. The P3 is a lot better and offers a waterfall which is must needed when you have to locate your transmission in a split pill-up.
The last point is reliability. A very large number of PA have failed, and the rig is very difficult, due to its weight, and expensive to send to the repair center.
Just check about PA failures on the Yahoo group and on Internet. Do the same research with the TS480HX, which is much less expensive, much more common, used often in difficult mobile conditions, and compare. I found a lot of IC7700 PA failures, but not a single TS480HX PA failure. They certainly exist, but with a very minimal rate compared to the Icom.
Before making the exchange I tried to get some advice about reliability on the Yahoo group, but my message was not published because now this subject is over and you cannot exchange about it. Dictators are not only in certain countries.
At the end I decided to keep my K3/P3, the risk was too large versus the envy.

Best regards.