Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7700 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7700
ICOM IC-7700 Reviews: 133 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $6999.95
Description: Description: The ICOM 7700 200W HF/6M has been introduced at the 2007 Dayton Hamvention. ICOM has followed all the success of the beautiful IC-7800 with the smaller, single receiver IC-7700. It utilizes two separate 32-bit floating point TI DSP chips, has a 7-inch wide TFT display, built in RTTY/PSK31 receive and transmit using a USB Keyboard interface, external video connection, high res spectrum scope, plus high voltage MOSFET 200 Watt PA.

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7700.

M0VPL Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2013 11:03 Send this review to a friend
Pure class  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have purchased an Icom 7700. I could have gone for the new TS-990 but after listening and operating both radio's I went for the icom 7700. ease of use, great filtering, and I dont need twin receivers. infact its nice to think all the effort has gone into 1. nothing wrong with the kenwood as i like kenwood equipment, have a mint 2004 TS-870s also TS-2000X had a TS-950sd FT-2000D prior to icom 7700 no comparison! no dout people find something to complain about, its human nature. but as a TOP line HF radio the IC-7700 takes some beating. like most radio's i would advise reading the book for a week or so because if you cant drive it you cant comment.
LA8KHA Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2013 05:12 Send this review to a friend
Just great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I,ve used Yaesu FT-1000 Mark V,Yaesu-FT 1000D,Yaesu FT-2000 and Icom IC-756 Pro.But the Icom IC-7700 is simply a much better radio.I bougth this second hand for some $5K and it`s worth every penny.
W3DIY Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2013 15:54 Send this review to a friend
After 2 years still a FB rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I donít get the negative comments.

Yes itís a big and heavy radio, but the dimensions and weight are not an ICOM trade secret.

Yes itís expensive, but used IC7700s are available for under $5K.

Yes it does not have second receiver and setting up split operation can take a few seconds, but itís a contest rigÖyour station should be creating the pile ups.

Yes the S meter readings below S9 are stingy, but that only has meaning for the station you are working. I can hear the weak ones FB even though they donít move the meter.

The only complaint that I can relate to is the recovery delay caused by the AGC when receiving static pops. It is a bit slow using AGC Mid, AGC fast could be annoying when operating in contests. I am not a contester so it is not an issue for me.

I concur with all the positive comments so I wonít repeat them.
G0MJK Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2013 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Difficult to find fault  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Having read the other reviews here I do sometimes wonder what people want. The receive performance is good for me although only slightly better than my 775DSP which I still have. I love the big VDU display with the spectrum scope and the fact that data modes are covered with a built in system. As to size, who one earth would buy one for mobile or portable use? Looking only the comments about the Yaesu FTDX 5000 I tried one and did not like it at all. Equipment is always a matter of personal preference and I find it difficult to fault this one.
G3RCE Rating: 3/5 Sep 1, 2013 14:59 Send this review to a friend
FTDX5000 best of all  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Having just read the AD4C2006 reviews on the 7700 and K3
and his condemnation of the FTDX5000 I thought I'd give my opinions.
I owned a 7700 back in 2007, kept it for 6 months then sold it. Did not like it, heavy, expensive and just a poor performer compared to the FTDX5000, the new FTDX3000 and the K3
The 7700 is up conversion and just does not have the close in performance etc of the other radios I have just mentioned.
It's even more expensive now, can't understand anyone buying it with so much choice.
The FTDX5000 is pure base station quality and in my opinion there is nothing to beat it.
73 Robert
AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2013 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Great radio to own  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got mine a month ago to replace the disappointing FTDX-5000 that did not pass my expectations.
So far I have not found any factory design problem or working defect, my PA is ok giving 200W in all bands, tuner works well tuning swr as high as 3 to 1 although I never use it, all my antennas are below 1.5 swr.
The floor noise is as low as my six years old fully loaded K3.
RX audio quality is better than the K3 and also better than the gone FTDX5000.
Tx audio quality using the simple to set TX EQ is much better than the K3 and as well as the 5000.I have it hooked up to a Heil PR-40.
No second RX? yes, true but that is not an issue to work dx in split mode because using the "XFC" key you can hear your own TX freq to set it up over the pileup either on cw or ssb.
Slectivity although not been so tight like my K3, is adecuate for dx work if using the DSP set to 1.8Khz and the Twin PBT set to 1.2K/-500 you can be at just 2Khz away from a strong station and still be able to tune the weak one in your freq with still very clear audio.
200W is very convenient for stations with high efficiency antennas, I only run 80W out of it to load my AL-82 at full legal power.ALC works great, no clipping at all.
Great feature of been able to connect a VGA monitor at the rear. I have a 17 inches monitor allowing me to see a big color screen.
The scope is perfect, fast and alive as good as my P3.
I don't have the S meter calibration issue said here, 50 microvolts read S9, 1 microvolt read S1. Most be that specific unit with lack of calibration.
For CW users the APF/TPF works great, even better than the APF from the K3.
NR is also better than the one at K3 and easier to set it up.
NB is excellent and it don't add any distorsion as the one at K3.
Sorry If I am comparing all these parameters with my K3 but for me the K3 is the benchmark of radios today, my personal opinion.
Knobs and keys are well designed, big and easy to set up, no need to be using so much the menu like many other radios.
Builtin power supply make it a perfect base station radio to keep for many years.
This is my very honest opinion,if you like to see some audio graphs on RX and TX go to and check me up.

OE1TRB Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2013 21:58 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
A great Radio , well designed. the display is very well readable, you do not need any magnifier glass when I compare with other radios in this class. It will not leave my shack anymore, like other units after short test period...
The DNR works really with its noise reduction and no pixeling like others!
I can recommend the radio to other QRO OMs.
Vy 73 de Thomas from Vienna, Austria
WR5G Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2013 20:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned my IC-7700 now for almost 3 years and it is a wonderful rig! Since owning this Rig I have obtained my DXCC as well as the WPX Award for North America. I also have the IC-PW1 amplifier which works flawlessly with this rig... It is like having a 1KW HF rig. The transmit audio controls will allow you to fine tune your transmit audio for any microphone used. I use the Heil PR-780 microphone and have always received excellent audio reports.
NY0V Rating: 2/5 Jul 10, 2013 06:37 Send this review to a friend
Not for the DXr.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Rx on the 7700 is great. The filtering and DSP are excellent. The problem I found with it is that it is very difficult to use in a Split Freq/DX context. One would expect a second Rx and be able to hear both Rx audio simultaneously (and stereo). This rig will work for you if you contest or rag chew. But, for DX chasing, forget it. The 7700 is functionally closer to the FT3000 which is a $2.4K radio. Why spend $4.5K more for the 7700? It's an orphan in my book.
N4JBK Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2013 22:45 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like several folks I know have been through a lot of radios in my time in the hobby but this one is a keeper for sure. I had the opportunity to try this rig along with an Icom 7800 as well as other "high end " radios. The 7700 beat them all without breaking a sweat. The receiver is second to none, no it doesn't have a second receiver but I knew that going in so it didn't surprise me and I didn't look around in the box for it when the radio got here and so far I haven't missed it. I have had many radios with 2 rx's and I have some now but mu go to rig is the 7700 into the Command HF2500E.