Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-7700 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7700
ICOM IC-7700 Reviews: 129 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $6999.95
Description: Description: The ICOM 7700 200W HF/6M has been introduced at the 2007 Dayton Hamvention. ICOM has followed all the success of the beautiful IC-7800 with the smaller, single receiver IC-7700. It utilizes two separate 32-bit floating point TI DSP chips, has a 7-inch wide TFT display, built in RTTY/PSK31 receive and transmit using a USB Keyboard interface, external video connection, high res spectrum scope, plus high voltage MOSFET 200 Watt PA.

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7700.

G3RCE Rating: 3/5 Sep 1, 2013 14:59 Send this review to a friend
FTDX5000 best of all  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Having just read the AD4C2006 reviews on the 7700 and K3
and his condemnation of the FTDX5000 I thought I'd give my opinions.
I owned a 7700 back in 2007, kept it for 6 months then sold it. Did not like it, heavy, expensive and just a poor performer compared to the FTDX5000, the new FTDX3000 and the K3
The 7700 is up conversion and just does not have the close in performance etc of the other radios I have just mentioned.
It's even more expensive now, can't understand anyone buying it with so much choice.
The FTDX5000 is pure base station quality and in my opinion there is nothing to beat it.
73 Robert

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2013 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Great radio to own  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got mine a month ago to replace the disappointing FTDX-5000 that did not pass my expectations.
So far I have not found any factory design problem or working defect, my PA is ok giving 200W in all bands, tuner works well tuning swr as high as 3 to 1 although I never use it, all my antennas are below 1.5 swr.
The floor noise is as low as my six years old fully loaded K3.
RX audio quality is better than the K3 and also better than the gone FTDX5000.
Tx audio quality using the simple to set TX EQ is much better than the K3 and as well as the 5000.I have it hooked up to a Heil PR-40.
No second RX? yes, true but that is not an issue to work dx in split mode because using the "XFC" key you can hear your own TX freq to set it up over the pileup either on cw or ssb.
Slectivity although not been so tight like my K3, is adecuate for dx work if using the DSP set to 1.8Khz and the Twin PBT set to 1.2K/-500 you can be at just 2Khz away from a strong station and still be able to tune the weak one in your freq with still very clear audio.
200W is very convenient for stations with high efficiency antennas, I only run 80W out of it to load my AL-82 at full legal power.ALC works great, no clipping at all.
Great feature of been able to connect a VGA monitor at the rear. I have a 17 inches monitor allowing me to see a big color screen.
The scope is perfect, fast and alive as good as my P3.
I don't have the S meter calibration issue said here, 50 microvolts read S9, 1 microvolt read S1. Most be that specific unit with lack of calibration.
For CW users the APF/TPF works great, even better than the APF from the K3.
NR is also better than the one at K3 and easier to set it up.
NB is excellent and it don't add any distorsion as the one at K3.
Sorry If I am comparing all these parameters with my K3 but for me the K3 is the benchmark of radios today, my personal opinion.
Knobs and keys are well designed, big and easy to set up, no need to be using so much the menu like many other radios.
Builtin power supply make it a perfect base station radio to keep for many years.
This is my very honest opinion,if you like to see some audio graphs on RX and TX go to qrz.com and check me up.
Thanks

Hector
AD4C

OE1TRB Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2013 21:58 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
A great Radio , well designed. the display is very well readable, you do not need any magnifier glass when I compare with other radios in this class. It will not leave my shack anymore, like other units after short test period...
The DNR works really with its noise reduction and no pixeling like others!
I can recommend the radio to other QRO OMs.
Vy 73 de Thomas from Vienna, Austria

WR5G Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2013 20:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned my IC-7700 now for almost 3 years and it is a wonderful rig! Since owning this Rig I have obtained my DXCC as well as the WPX Award for North America. I also have the IC-PW1 amplifier which works flawlessly with this rig... It is like having a 1KW HF rig. The transmit audio controls will allow you to fine tune your transmit audio for any microphone used. I use the Heil PR-780 microphone and have always received excellent audio reports.

NY0V Rating: 2/5 Jul 10, 2013 06:37 Send this review to a friend
Not for the DXr.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Rx on the 7700 is great. The filtering and DSP are excellent. The problem I found with it is that it is very difficult to use in a Split Freq/DX context. One would expect a second Rx and be able to hear both Rx audio simultaneously (and stereo). This rig will work for you if you contest or rag chew. But, for DX chasing, forget it. The 7700 is functionally closer to the FT3000 which is a $2.4K radio. Why spend $4.5K more for the 7700? It's an orphan in my book.

N4JBK Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2013 22:45 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like several folks I know have been through a lot of radios in my time in the hobby but this one is a keeper for sure. I had the opportunity to try this rig along with an Icom 7800 as well as other "high end " radios. The 7700 beat them all without breaking a sweat. The receiver is second to none, no it doesn't have a second receiver but I knew that going in so it didn't surprise me and I didn't look around in the box for it when the radio got here and so far I haven't missed it. I have had many radios with 2 rx's and I have some now but mu go to rig is the 7700 into the Command HF2500E.

JG1RVN Rating: 0/5 Apr 24, 2013 01:26 Send this review to a friend
Sorry I say 73  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is a splendid transceiver. I am perfect as far as I put it in the shack and look at a figure. However, IC -7700 does not have a sub RX. I am unsuitable for split communication of CW. Even if information appears in DX-cluster and pushes the power switch immediately, it takes dozens of seconds before I can transmit a message. The adoption of OCXO has the fault, too. Meanwhile, the pile up grows big and is lost forever at an opportunity of the communication with a rare overseas station. In addition, the FET finals burnt while an antenna tuner worked. With other transceivers, there is not such an accident. Depending on a part in the maker of the part is out of stock, and need several months for repair. Because I could not maintain such an expensive transceiver in future, I sold it off.

K9MHZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2013 19:12 Send this review to a friend
GREAT radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really enjoy owning this radio. I have one of the older serial numbers, but have had NO trouble with it at all....NONE, ZERO problems.

I do feel that the issue with the finals is a result of people hitting the rig hard with a terrible antenna impedance, and then merely pushing the antenna tuner button to get it to do its magic. I can't explain these PA problems described any other way....this rig has been ZERO trouble since I've purchased it new.

As for performance, it's a very, very nice rig to operate. The menus are nicely laid out, and the manipulation of the receiver filtering offers great flexibility in especially crowded band conditions. The DSP noise reduction is far better than those I've experienced in other brands, or even in the lower Icom line.

The waterfall is small, although it is consistent with what was offered back when the radio was newly designed.

To summarize.....I am a big fan of this radio and enjoy owning it very much. It has never given me an ounce of trouble....I'm either very lucky, or just very careful before I send any RF down the coax.

W4CAK Rating: 3/5 Jan 17, 2013 06:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig But.........  Time owned: more than 12 months
I loved using the 7700 and owned it for several years. I bought it new from HRO.

Near the end of the first year of ownership the finals failed. This was repaired under warranty. Later I noticed the drive was beginning to fail and decided the 7700 was just too expensive to continue to own with the potential expensive repairs. So, I sold it.

I really liked this rig and when it worked it was superb.

IF you are considering getting one of these rigs be sure and ask for the newer version nr, 12 serial number. These have the new finals and perhaps will hold up better. But BEWARE of getting a used one unless the drive circuity and PAs have both been replaced. Also ask about the logic board.

Great radio if it was reliable!

Toby W4CAK

HB9KL Rating: 2/5 Jan 11, 2013 06:18 Send this review to a friend
Very disappointed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the unit new about 4 years ago. The PA MOSFETs had also to be replaced recently as with all the numerous IC-7700. It seems that a protection circuit doesen't exist in this high end and expensive TRX.
The T/R relay hat to be replaced twice inspite of the very low control current of the non-Icom linear amplifier.
A short time ago I mesured the accuracy of the S-Meter and I was very much disapointed.

Sig. S-1 0.2 uV S-Meter reading S-0
S-7 12.5 uV S-3
S-8 25.0 uV S-6
S-9 50.0 uV S-8.4

Above level S-9 all readings are OK and within -1dB
I know all S-Meters are inaccurate below S-7 but this ICOM S-Meter is useless. For example a signal
with effective S-6 gets a report with S-1.
This is absolutely unacceptable.

May be this serious problem can be solved with a software update.