Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7700 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7700
ICOM IC-7700 Reviews: 125 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $6999.95
Description: Description: The ICOM 7700 200W HF/6M has been introduced at the 2007 Dayton Hamvention. ICOM has followed all the success of the beautiful IC-7800 with the smaller, single receiver IC-7700. It utilizes two separate 32-bit floating point TI DSP chips, has a 7-inch wide TFT display, built in RTTY/PSK31 receive and transmit using a USB Keyboard interface, external video connection, high res spectrum scope, plus high voltage MOSFET 200 Watt PA.

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7700.

YO3FXF Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2009 10:42 Send this review to a friend
PERFECT!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
1 year aniverssary!Fabulous radio!Work perfect from April 2008!No problem at all!Serial nbr. 030.... Idle curent 4 to 4.5A...Firmware version 1.03...Best radio in my shack!
I buy this radio again, and again, and again!73!Tony

KA7GKN Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2009 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A lovely radio! Every knob, button, and function work as well as advertised or better. The methodology to upgrade the radio is user friendly.

I do not do any digital modes. I only operate "essb", That is "ENHANCED SSB" NOT ESSB "EXTENDED SSB"
There is a difference and the fidelity SSB audio topic is always debated and will never be resolved.
The key is to provide an excellent signal to your audience.

The 7700 although is not really designed as other newer radios [FCC type accepted] to allow a 3.2khz bandwidth. You can still deliver a quality SSB audio signal by routing your audio via the ACC-1 jack. You will deliver an excellent and CLEAN SSB audio signal.

Of course I truly do miss the dual watch function, but this radio has the ability to address QRM so well you don't have to track the signal down. Instead you adjust the radio and almost all of the QRM can be eliminated or significantly reduced.

Martin KA7GKN

QRPNEW Rating: 4/5 Feb 21, 2009 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Good package  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I owned the IC7800 and I thought that I would try the IC7700 thinking I would not miss the second receiver. I was wrong, in many ways its disappointing that the IC7700 does not have a dual receiver. However I can understand Icoms marketing pitch that the IC7800 is there , but when the PRO3 has dual watch how can a more expensive radio have less ability?

The things that I like about the IC7700 are these.

**Large size and superb ergonomics, its a beautiful and easy to use radio
**The bandscope is superb, it would have been nice if click and tune with say a plug in
mouse was available.
** The receiver is great even though its not chart topping or better than a radio like the K3 in key receiver metrics. The K3 is a better CW radio and on crowded bands like 40 meters during big contests the K3 eats the IC7700. For everyday use its great and its low noise/hiss receiver is great. You can hear the superior inband IMD and lack of peak distortion on the received signals when compared to other radios. Very weak signal detection is superior to the K3 on SSB. When the signals hardly move the S-meter they much easier to copy than my K3. However the K3 will hear anything that the IC7700 will. Its just easier copy on the IC7700. On SSB the IC7700 is better receiver in my opinion. The K3 with its quirky roofing filters and non centered IF shift always make the receiver sound hissy. The IC7700 seems to resolve signals much better.
**Built in power supply is great.
**200 Watts of output is superb and it produces this with no power spikes and very smooth power control. I was expecting much better transmitter IMD performance than the QST review returned. However the IC7700 has much less transmitted crud than my K3.
** Fantastic receiver stability. The K3 even after close to 2 years since its release still does not have the TCXO compensation ready yet. This stability thing becomes an unhealthy obsession when you have an Rubidium standard!

The things I dont like:

** digital S meter, its not calibrated. For the price and technology in this radio you would have though that a calibrated meter would have been a piece of cake. It does not really mimic a true analogue meter all that well.
** The tracking preselector seems to be a xmas tree decoration and does not do much. I still have to use my W3NQN band
pass filters when operating in contests.
**expensive radio for not having dual watch or a second receiver
** expected better receiver performance for the price, it does not come close to the K3's on IMD dynamic range.
** Icoms stupid microphone system with the preamp in the microphone, this is a real Joke.
** Icoms still persists with the STUPID CIV level converter which should be in the radio. I mean this CIV is a dinosaur that does not belong in the year 2009 let alone on such an expensive radio.
**My IC7700 blew the finals twice and I also zapped the encoder. I dont know why Icoms radios seem to have so many problems with the PA's blowing up? Its getting expensive and its an nervous operation shipping these big expensive radios. Icom or its dealers should have special armored shipping cases made like HP does for their test equipment where you just drop the radio in and ship it anywhere in the world. I would not mind paying a security deposit for such a box.

Overall I am happy with radio, its represents poor value for money when you look at things like the transmitter and receiver performance. When the IC7600 comes out I think the IC7700 will represent poor value and would not offer enough receiver performance advantage to justify its huge price. The Elecraft K3 offers better value for money and delivers receiver performance and many features that the Icom IC7700 cant match. I would say that if you have very large antennas and you are a big time contester the K3 with its dual receivers and better IMD dynamic range is a deal thats hard to beat. If you are casual operator with average antennas the IC7700s tightly integrated package and superior ergonomics and bandscope will win over most operators. I will keep mine because it has a great layout and ergonomics and ease of use compared to a radio like the K3. However on CW and during contests I will always use the K3.

PE2MC Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2009 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Super RIG  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
HI all,

After 4 months decided to Buy the 7700. A big step to buy a Icom. I'm really a Yaesu fan for several years.
I can only say what a great radio.
I did some test with the rig.

The recieving is better then my FT1000D.
The filter are super with Pre Amp 2 on 40mtr no intermodulation from near by HF radio signals.
Before i used a FT2000 on 40mtr and i never good use the Pre amp.. Not that i need it but just to see how things preform.
Also the Audio from the speaker is improved. I don't like the 756 line is small flat and it sound not very good. Als the radio is not quite in this area. I live close to a radio broadcast tower with outputs from 100kw. So you can think i do need a good rig or it will leave the shack.
There are many features in the rig that are handy. Like the audio setting on the RX and also on the TX.
Also i've the rig working with the cat on the rs232 port. So no need to buy the ct1 very expencive thing.

It's a real winner. and i do like the rig very much.

Marco Pe2mc

F4FGY Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2008 08:13 Send this review to a friend
BEST  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
hello, ad Unlike other materials, which suggest a slight breath even when the knob is a zero BF, ICOM 7700 it is entirely silent on the plan.
By pushing the volume, we quickly noted that the receiver is quiet, very quiet ..........................
The listening on headphones, for long hours, will not be tiring for the operator. The BF is a roundness that can only please, and if one listens broadband 3.6 Khz will take advantage of the wealth of some spectral modulations, it would be almost the impression of listening to FM.
73 and good DX
Fred F4FGY

GM1FLQ Rating: 2/5 Dec 30, 2008 07:54 Send this review to a friend
Quality skin deep  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All looks lovely on the outside, but don't let looks and lots of gimmicks fool you and I guess that's what it is supposed to do because inside you can see the cost cutting and opportunistic profiteering with the Chinese PA for example. Having owned several Icoms I believe there was a time when they were at the top of their game, however, since the hideous TV screen era I believe that it has been down hill all the way with dodgy drivers, PA's and TV screens, D-star rubbish and overheating 706's that are only going to end in premature component failure. But don't take my word, just look at the reviews (7400,756 etc) on this site closely and then check e-bay to see plenty of D-star equipment for sale that is in some cases only days old. This radio doesn't come close to the quality of the FT1000D or TS830 for that matter.
I have deducted a point for the cost cutting internals, another for the poor value for money and another for the cheek of Icom - we are not all daft.

VE2YMM Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2008 19:42 Send this review to a friend
The ROLLS ROYCE of the transceivers  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Used for a couple of weeks now with different antennas (see my station at ve2ymm.com). The Icom 7700 makes the HF really easy to use! The DSP and NR (Noise Reduction) are useful and very efficient. The big screen is very clear, easy to use and I could not see another radio without a spectrum analyzer now! Filters can be selected from 0 to 3.6KHz (in ssb). (...) I use the Icom SM-20 microphone and it gives a very clear and clean voice on HF. Use less than 10 Watts in stand-by and around 80 Watts in reception for normal operations.

To improve : There is no insertion point between the PA and the internal tuner (in fact I do not know any manufacturer providing this feature), but this will be very useful to connect a measurement tool like a digital Vector RF Wattmeter or antenna analyzer ... There are some free space on the screen, and could be used for additional information or just to show (for example) the multi-function digital meter. In fact, this screen has just been "copied" from the IC-7800 and has not been optimized for the 7700.

A strange effect : On low signals (or without too much noise), there is a ghost trace following the cursor on the spectrum analyzer and give some wrong reading. Perhaps this "bug" will be updated in a newer firmware update. (Used firmware version is 1.03)

Great tranceiver.
Video are available (in french) on uTube at :

Yves - ve2ymm

EA5BZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2008 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Very Good.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Excelent radio with great DSP.
I use it in my city-shack and is very very good fighting with human QRM.
My antenna in the city is one Butternut vertical and like other verticals is a QRM eater.
The eater is excelent with it.
QRM went down in all bands with this radio and signals continue high.
Very very quiet receiver.

VK2AO Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2008 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been running the IC 7700 and it is a remarkable piece of equipment to say the least. I have a 756PRO III that I have setup in parallel and the IC 7700 clearly is superior in so many ways. The control over filters and the digital processing does a better job and I can pull signals out of the noise that the 756 just doesn't get to. The screen is clear and crisp and in using the external monitor function it brings to life what you see. The capability to upgrade firmware is a big plus that the 756 misses out on. Built in power supply is handy as is the 12v 1 amp output for running small devices. The extra slots for auto sked power up is a handy feature. I have really am impressed by this radio never misses a beat and is the pride of the suite.

DF8PG Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2008 01:50 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Hallo, I owened more than 10 Icom Transceivers, and some from
Yaesu, and Kenwood. This IC 7700 is the best. 2nd Transceiver is actually
an Orion II. Both receivers are very close, there is no big difference, but
the look , and the handling of the the IC 7700 is much better.
One thing I donīt like is, that the IC 7700 shows only one frequence, and
the fan is running all the time.
DF8PG