Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TMV71A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TMV71A
Kenwood TMV71A Reviews: 93 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $399.00
Description: The advanced Kenwood TM-V71A dual bander provides sophisticated, high-powered performance on 2 meters and 440 MHz. Power levels are 5/10/50 watts on both bands. The large radio display clearly conveys the status of the radio and can be set to green or amber.
More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kenwood_TMV-71A

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TMV71A.

K6BCM Rating: 4/5 Apr 27, 2016 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Good reliable radio lacking a feature  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great radio, solid performer, my only real complaint is that the radio has a 30 mhz maximum reapeater offset. It would be nice if Kenwood would make the TM-V71A capable of "crossband offset". Being able to listen on one band and transmit on the other, from one VFO. If it did that I would give it a 5 rating.

VE6DO Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2016 21:18 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I absolutely love this radio. It is well thought out and the learning curve is pretty simple. I did watch some YouTube videos before getting the radio to learn a few things. That helped and the manual is not that bad for other things. I also have like 4 friends with either the V71A or D710A so they are there for my questions. The only thing I would have liked is 4 power levels .. 5,10,25,50. Just cause some times 10 does not cut it and you need to go to 50. A step between would have been useful. I do not like running on H unless I have to. I have owned several other mobile radios in the past and this one is a step above. In my mind .. you have the Yaesu radios (work well but just too messed up in the user interface department) to Icom (just plain messed up and often so confusing to use). Kenwood seems to have a nice balance between the needed items and just a radio that does not work well. As you can tell I am a huge fan of a good user interface and this is by far the best thought out design of the big 3. It does help that I am using it as a base so it is not like I will smash up anything, like my car, due to poor design.

KH6TA Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2015 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Flawless Full-Featured V/U radio for competitive price!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

I wanted a current V/U radio with a great-working X-band repeat function, and this is it! I was so impressed with this radio that I bought a 2nd one for the hamshack!Tx/Rx audio is very good quality, and power output on both radios is per specs.I'm using the RT Systems programmer which makes programming/cloning a breeze! The Icom software is however, a free download. I use Rx on Marine, Fire & Police, Wx freqs,MURS & GMRS and it hears great at least up to 160 megs on VHF and 480 on UHF.

I didn't buy the VS-1 on the 2nd one and turned it OFF on the mobile one. There are times it could be useful I guess.

My only complaint, and it's personal is that I don't like a green display and wish it had blue instead of green, but the amber is easy on the eyes and is very acceptable.

DONMTEXAS Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2015 04:20 Send this review to a friend
An excellent radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I wanted a dual bander to give 70 cm. A try. The tm-v71 does not dissapoint. I primarily use 2 meters. I receive excellent signal and audio reports from all I talk to. This Kenwood has all kind of features, some of which I may never use. It does not get hot even during long key downs. I use it as a base unit and have never herd the fan kick on even though I have reached around back.and felt the air flowing. I turned the heat sink to the top side just for good measure. The receiver is very sensitive and selective. Never had any inter - mod issues. I would buy it all over again. Easy operation. I just turn it on and it works.

KE5UUO Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2015 12:44 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic for data  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned the D710A for a mobile in my Truck several years now, and shortly after I bought it and started using it I began to pine for the day when I replaced my mobile and retired the D710 to the shack. Unfortunately, I got hit by lightning and so I had to replace my shack 2M/70cm (Yaesu 7800) radio. The V71A was logical choice for me, although I considered lots of options. While there are cheaper Chinese dual radio dual (or quad) banders, none of them seem to have a data jack - which is a major bummer if you want to be able to listen/talk on one side of the radio and do data on the other.

This is a great radio for data, it's billed as having native Echolink support, and has a special Echolink Sysop "mode". The cables readily available from Kenwood and 3rd parties (cheaper). As you might guess, "Echolink mode" is really just "Data Mode" and it makes it super easy to plug into mic and speaker jacks on the PC and run EchoLink, Winlink, AGW Packet Engine, etc., and still be able to talk on the other side of the radio.

I'm used to programming the D710 from the radio, so V71 has a similar setup (just not broken into categories). I have good performance on it and have not had any issues.

I find it to be an excellent and versatile shack radio.

KK6JYX Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2015 21:40 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic for my needs  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my first mobile radio, am I very happy with everything it has to offer! The crossband-rpt Is very easy to setup and works very well. I have the radio mounted under my seat with the head unit in a cubby in my dash which happens to fit perfectly. The Mic feels good in my hand and is easy on the eyes at night. I made my own head separation cable (If I remember correctly it cost me $6.00+/-) I'm currently setting up my base station and plan on purchasing another TM-V71A!

EI8KF Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2015 06:27 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for my needs  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After doing a bit of research and being a Kenwood fan I recently bought a used TM-V71E. I wanted a transceiver that had dual VFO's to allow me to monitor both a local repeater and airband. Most transceivers I looked at didn't have the wide band receive on both VHF and UHF airband but the TM-V71E has allowing me to listen to military traffic as well as the usual civilian traffic.
The free programming software that can be downloaded from the Kenwood website is perfectly adequate for managing the memories.
My only criticism is the cost of peripherals but that is an issue not exclusive to Kenwood equipment.

N7DPK Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2015 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Stellar Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this radio after researching dual band mobiles. I use feedback from current owners and the avalibility of youtube clips for programing and feature use. I run this unit as a base station and utilize the cross-band repeat function everyday as I talk on my local repeater/nets on my ht on low power around my property. Using this feature it never get hot or overloads (i use 5 or 10w low power doing this). I would buy this unit all over again!

Pros:
Ease of programming
Ease of feature use

Cons:
Cost of programing cables/software
Cost of separation kit/cables

W2OSR Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2015 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Good Mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the radio for over 10 years. I first used it as a base rig. I used it to run packet and APRS. I have since moved it into my car and never had a problem with it. It will be moving to my new care shortly if I can find a spot for it. I had complaints of low audio which I resolved by flashing the e-prom with the latest software version. Mike gain is now adjustable in three steps when programed from a computer.

W5KVV Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2015 23:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was the first rig I purchased after I got my ticket. It was immediately installed in my mobile where it has been for almost 4 years. I have had ZERO issues with it. If I had to find one fault with it, the internal speaker would be the only negative. BUT, I used two external speakers in my mobile install, set to one speaker for each side of the radio & it's been flawless. Kenwood has the best FP programming in the idustry & this radio is no exception. I won't own a rig that can't be programmed from the front panel in a quick fashon. This radio is so easy to program on the fly it should be illegal. No computer needed. I can have a new repeater programmed, PL'd & alpha tagged in 10 seconds from the FP. Added bonus: If you find a RC-D710 control head at a good price, your TM-V71A has just become a TM-D710!