Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TMV71A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TMV71A
Kenwood TMV71A Reviews: 89 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $399.00
Description: The advanced Kenwood TM-V71A dual bander provides sophisticated, high-powered performance on 2 meters and 440 MHz. Power levels are 5/10/50 watts on both bands. The large radio display clearly conveys the status of the radio and can be set to green or amber.
More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kenwood_TMV-71A

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TMV71A.

KE5UUO Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2015 12:44 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic for data  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned the D710A for a mobile in my Truck several years now, and shortly after I bought it and started using it I began to pine for the day when I replaced my mobile and retired the D710 to the shack. Unfortunately, I got hit by lightning and so I had to replace my shack 2M/70cm (Yaesu 7800) radio. The V71A was logical choice for me, although I considered lots of options. While there are cheaper Chinese dual radio dual (or quad) banders, none of them seem to have a data jack - which is a major bummer if you want to be able to listen/talk on one side of the radio and do data on the other.

This is a great radio for data, it's billed as having native Echolink support, and has a special Echolink Sysop "mode". The cables readily available from Kenwood and 3rd parties (cheaper). As you might guess, "Echolink mode" is really just "Data Mode" and it makes it super easy to plug into mic and speaker jacks on the PC and run EchoLink, Winlink, AGW Packet Engine, etc., and still be able to talk on the other side of the radio.

I'm used to programming the D710 from the radio, so V71 has a similar setup (just not broken into categories). I have good performance on it and have not had any issues.

I find it to be an excellent and versatile shack radio.

KK6JYX Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2015 21:40 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic for my needs  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my first mobile radio, am I very happy with everything it has to offer! The crossband-rpt Is very easy to setup and works very well. I have the radio mounted under my seat with the head unit in a cubby in my dash which happens to fit perfectly. The Mic feels good in my hand and is easy on the eyes at night. I made my own head separation cable (If I remember correctly it cost me $6.00+/-) I'm currently setting up my base station and plan on purchasing another TM-V71A!

EI8KF Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2015 06:27 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for my needs  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After doing a bit of research and being a Kenwood fan I recently bought a used TM-V71E. I wanted a transceiver that had dual VFO's to allow me to monitor both a local repeater and airband. Most transceivers I looked at didn't have the wide band receive on both VHF and UHF airband but the TM-V71E has allowing me to listen to military traffic as well as the usual civilian traffic.
The free programming software that can be downloaded from the Kenwood website is perfectly adequate for managing the memories.
My only criticism is the cost of peripherals but that is an issue not exclusive to Kenwood equipment.

N7DPK Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2015 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Stellar Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this radio after researching dual band mobiles. I use feedback from current owners and the avalibility of youtube clips for programing and feature use. I run this unit as a base station and utilize the cross-band repeat function everyday as I talk on my local repeater/nets on my ht on low power around my property. Using this feature it never get hot or overloads (i use 5 or 10w low power doing this). I would buy this unit all over again!

Pros:
Ease of programming
Ease of feature use

Cons:
Cost of programing cables/software
Cost of separation kit/cables

W2OSR Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2015 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Good Mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the radio for over 10 years. I first used it as a base rig. I used it to run packet and APRS. I have since moved it into my car and never had a problem with it. It will be moving to my new care shortly if I can find a spot for it. I had complaints of low audio which I resolved by flashing the e-prom with the latest software version. Mike gain is now adjustable in three steps when programed from a computer.

W5KVV Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2015 23:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was the first rig I purchased after I got my ticket. It was immediately installed in my mobile where it has been for almost 4 years. I have had ZERO issues with it. If I had to find one fault with it, the internal speaker would be the only negative. BUT, I used two external speakers in my mobile install, set to one speaker for each side of the radio & it's been flawless. Kenwood has the best FP programming in the idustry & this radio is no exception. I won't own a rig that can't be programmed from the front panel in a quick fashon. This radio is so easy to program on the fly it should be illegal. No computer needed. I can have a new repeater programmed, PL'd & alpha tagged in 10 seconds from the FP. Added bonus: If you find a RC-D710 control head at a good price, your TM-V71A has just become a TM-D710!

OE5RBO Rating: 4/5 Dec 11, 2014 23:45 Send this review to a friend
Good and small one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a TM-V71 some weeks ago for building a crossband-rpt here for local use, shifting the device from "E" to "A" is easy.

While bulding the infrastructure around the trx i also tested it into dummy-load for learning how it deals with long transmit-periods in warm enviroment. The V71 gets quite warm when full powered and if mounted into a warm enviroment (car/summer/sun) it will brought to its limits and above.

But overall: Its a nice one, the TX Audio is very good and also the internal audio-interfacing when using it as crossband-rpt is excellent.
I found also the 70cm receiver performance very well done.

Why only a rating of "4": Well "4" means "good" and i think overall it is a good mobile-rig but "5" should be used for example to the TM-D710.

I would buy it again: Yes
Do i think its good bang for the bug: Yes

SMAUG Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2014 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Very good overall  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this because it was the cheapest radio of good quality from a known maker I could find with a detachable faceplate. If anyone made a detachable faceplate 2m radio, I'd have bought that.

That said, I use 70cm a lot more than I thought I would, as I'm in a major metro area.

Outgoing audio is great; I get good reports all the time.

The built-in speaker is OK as long as you're not using remote mounting of the power unit. Any built-in speaker is going to sound wimpy when it is mounted under the armrest storage area or under a seat in the car. I use a MFJ ClearTone speaker now; sounds great, with good build quality, and is cheap.

Most of the operation of the rig is intuitive. It takes a manual reference, for example, to figure out how to mark certain memories to be skipped during the scan, but all the common stuff is pretty easy. The manual was written by a native English-speaker, so it's never hard to find something. I keep the manual in the pocket behind the passenger seat in my 2012 Accord.

The cooling fan makes a little noise when it first powers up in cold weather, but goes away within a couple minutes.

The main reason I gave it only 4 stars is for the provided microphone. It looks and feels VERY solid. The housing could take one hell of a hit and still it would be OK. But it is one of those hinged PTT buttons, and the part that causes the hinging action broke on me one cold winter day in Chicago. So the mic still works, still sounds good, but the PTT button is kind of loosey-goosey. The PTT button is also heavily sprung, so holding it down with the left thumb, instead of the right index and middle fingers is quite fatiquing.

The mic on my old Yaesu 2500 felt much flimsier, but sounded as good and had a nice light PTT action. I could feel the plastic creaking in my hand, but by golly, it never let me down.

I use this with the MFJ-1729 dual band antenna. I can keep contact with a 70cm repeater that is on top of a 500' tall building from 50 miles away. That antenna is not as good on 2m as a 5/8 mag mount, but it does really well.

I will eventually get around to replacing the mic with something not as big or heavy, but that is friendlier to my hand. Maybe a Yaesu, hehehe.

-KC9ZHE
jzorns at yahoo dot com

KF6VTA Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2014 16:42 Send this review to a friend
An old friend comes back home  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sooooo many bad reviews on this radio. Yes! Many are right. I'm the first one to say that i had to fix the front volume controls. One day the right band wouldn't react to the turns of the knob. Yes! The unit gets hot even on standby mode without pressing the PTT. BUT... How about the good... Full duplex, AMAZING quality audio out in transmission... Sensitive receiver and mic. Several ilumination levels, crossband full or one way with a quality of sound unreachable by any other dual bander. Unit had its flows when built. Pitty because this unit is been one of my "all times favourite". Even the size of the display is bigger than any other dual bander these days. I use it everyday to monitor the bands and hear most of the time. I bought it new old stock from a deceased HAM. I want to keep honoring his decission to buy one amazing dual bander of all times... The FT-8100R. !

KF6VTA Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2014 16:32 Send this review to a friend
Amazing dual bander. Reminds me the Standard brand  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Amazing! I bought one unit about two years ago and didn't have the chance to tested properly. Now in 2014 i just bought a new one and i can say... It stays 24hrs on standby with spectacular results. INTERMOD is NOT a problem. This baby stands there and the front end stays cool. I'm very close to downtown Miami and not all the radios behave the right way. This one is comparable to my ft-8100 and my ft-8800. No noises, no problems. Nothing out of the ordinary. The radio has a dual band full duplex operation super neat. Crossbanding is simple and efective. No hidden menus, no crazy moves. Display dual colour. Good audio from internal speaker, and most of all..... Tons of features in the menu to play with. Easy to connect to internet and echolink. I personally don't like the mic style but it doesn't mean is bad because it is not. It's just the appearance of it... I'm more used to the yaesu mics for that matter.
At the very end we have a sensitive receiver, with good measurable power out and a robust construction of the body that reminds me my favourite brand from the past... STANDARD! Overall opinion.... Get one!!! You will love it. And if INTERMOD is your concern... This one doesn't give you trouble with it. Enjoy!!!!