Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Hi-Q-5/80 RT Help

Reviews Summary for Hi-Q-5/80 RT
Hi-Q-5/80 RT Reviews: 8 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $895
Description: For SERIOUS Mobiler and 18 wheelers the Hi-Q-5/80 RT TAD is the answer.
Mounted on the roof rack with a short mast it will give an appx. 2 dB gain with figure eight lobe.
Also can be an NVIS antenna if mounted 2-15' in height abouve the mother earth.
More info: http://www.hiqantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Hi-Q-5/80 RT.

NG4C Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2015 05:23 Send this review to a friend
HI-Q 5 -80  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 3 vehicles and more than 300 k miles;much mobile dxing on 80 and 40 meters, I can rate this antenna as a solid superior performer. No mechanical problems in 10 years of owner ship, still performing flawlessly. About to re-invest in a new piranha for 160 - 10 meters. Current system consist of an Icom 7000 with a SGC cube amp with the Hi-Q 5-80 RT, mounted in a 2014 Toyota tundra. The only signs of aging is hair line cracks top and bottom of the antenna coil.I can without hesitation give the antenna a 5+ and a superior performer

KA0SAB Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2014 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Still best Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK now it has been a year and a half since Charlie sent me the replacement Antenna!

I thought the last one was a great Antenna, HAHA
This new Hi Q Piranha is out performing the old one hands down!!

I wanted to wait for at least a year and another 190,000 to 200,000 miles to write my final review. I have no complaints about this antenna or my last one!
They have performed with out flaw and all I get is, Harold we can always hear you no matter where you are, you may not be the loudest as you only run 100 watts, but you are always there.
I get into pile ups on 75 or 20 meters and I always get through!!! I hear people that home stations don't even hear!

I can't say it enough,, THANK YOU Charlie!!

OP1V Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2013 09:24 Send this review to a friend
Best mobile antenna ever maybe?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna in 2006 from the local distribution here in Europe.
For some folks it may seem troublesome as the antenna system is not as "plug and play" as the competitors . This is just plain right, for a simple reason. This antenna ( and all antenna's from Charlie) are radiators and not dissipaters.
So when tuned to resonance , they need some device to get your impedance to 50 Ohm's.This as they are close to the theoretically 12 Ohm impedance when mounted correct.
I run 1500W SSB or more on it without heating or arcing. I get consistent very to extremely good results when making contacts. Most of the time
stations do not believe I'm mobile.
These antenna's are just TOP NOTCH. And they can handle rough use. Mine is going strong for over
300000KM.
So when you are serious about mobiling , take a look at Charlie's website. He builds antennas for
military applications and beyond.
So I can give it a SOLID 5+
Well done Charlie.

KA0SAB Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2013 14:14 Send this review to a friend
BEST SIGNAL FROM A MOBILE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this Antenna from Charlie in Mar.-06
Have had it on 2-pickup trucks and 3 semi Trucks!
Total miles on this Antenna is 1,058,000 miles,
YES that is over 1 Million miles and as of this last
week, in a snow storm/ it started to have trouble tuning up! Where in the world are you going to find a antenna that will give you this kind of service with no trouble at all!!! Most everyone thinks I am on a base or running an amp. and can not believe the signal from a mobile!
I have had people hear me and could not hear someone with an Amp! I have hit Owls. and yes even a hawk and still this Ant. keeps on ticking
This the best Ant. I have ever had in the 3 million miles I have run moblie PERIOD!!
I have run the Bug Catcher/ BB3/ Out backer/ Hustler/made from copper and plastic!
Never have I bought an Antenna and paid so much money, and divided by the miles and hits to the antenna cost me so little per mile run.
that's 366 Month's of Around the world DX and fun!Or a life time for normal folks who drive less then 150,000 miles a year. Think of the vibrations from all the ruff roads in a Semi truck
if it beats us to death in the truck, what about the Ant.??

I run a ICOM 7000 at 100 watts of power and I don't need an amp with these kind of results.
So don't look at it with a price tag in mind, but that you will not have to buy another one ever unless you blow it up or need to send it in every million miles or so to have it cleaned and up graded.

Thank You Charlie for making it so affordable to run mobile and talk around the world on 10-80 or even 160, with such a great signal!!!
Harold KA0SAB known on the air as same as before or silly airport bum.
THANK YOU AGAIN Charlie! Job WELL DONE!

XE1ZLG Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2011 22:19 Send this review to a friend
High QUALITY and Rugged antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Very rugged and smooth operation with HiQ 5/80 Rt MC3H antenna, fit is 5 stars, finish is what you can see on a military antenna ( not high polished automotive paint ) but beatiful hard anodized aluminium.... Very good performance thinking is a very short antenna.... low SWR ( less than 1.3 ) on all amateur bands and on many broadcast shortwave bands.... WOODY and Charlie gives top notch customer support,

Very happy with my antenna.. Luis Gtz XE1ZLG

KB3DUV Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2010 16:10 Send this review to a friend
I love my Hi-Q 5/80  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had two adjustable antennas plus about all of the ham sticks. The ham sticks are good, but the Hi-Q is far superior to any mobile antenna that I have used. I operate pretty much mobile and I am on 20 meters most of the time. The Hi-Q is easy to operate especially with my Icom 7000. I use Hi-Q turns counter with no problems. I use a unun to match the antenna to the coax. I tried the automatic controller but it didn't work very good It was close, but not close enough I talk pretty much over the US and Europe. It is mounted on a tool box in the bed of my Dodge 1500 Ram. I have an egg beater 8 and 30" whip on top.

W8PMR Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2010 20:18 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic mobile antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this antenna used in a package deal. Feeding it with a Ten Tec 555 Scout, was able to make numerous contacts during Field day on 15 meters. In the last month, I have made contacts all over North America, Brazil, and Chilie. What a GREAT antenna. Hi-Q has treatedme as a valued customer, even though I purchased mine used. Thanks Charlie!

VK2PDS Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2009 23:25 Send this review to a friend
5/80 & Hi-Q what great service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my 5/80 for just over a year now and I have to say I am still impressed with this fantasic antenna.
I have had mobile contacts into Europe, UK and the US while mobile and reports are nothing short of amazing.
Recently I had the spring stolen by some twat and when I sent Charlie an email telling him what had happened and if I could buy a couple of spares and another WQD, he said give me your postal details and cover the postage and I will send them to you no charge....I was gob smacked..thanks heaps Charlie.
A fantastic antenna and fantastic service in all my dealing with Charlie and Hi-Q