Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Weston Electronics Help

Reviews Summary for Weston Electronics
Weston Electronics Reviews: 26 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Repairs for all types of amateur radio equipment, boatanchor to modern. Please check out our website.
More info: http://www.westonelectronics.com/index.html

You can write your own review of the Weston Electronics.

WA4SHA Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2009 08:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought an older Yaesu FT-757GX on e-bay. A month later, the display suddenly started flickering, and then the whole system shut down. I couldn't get the radio to come up at all. I read very positive reviews of Weston Electronics, so I e-mailed Jim and described the problem. He was quick to point out that, while he was certainly able to service the radio, some display problems on that model are not repairable. With that caviat, I sent it to him. Two weeks later (just as he said), Jim e-mailed me the results: he found one bad part and several bad solder joints. He also did an alignment and replaced the memory battery, as well. I used PayPal (very convenient for me) to pay him, and I got the radio back two days later.
I was very pleased. I got it back in time for Field Day. That's a nice receiver. Also, I had no trouble making 10 and 20m contacts with my vertical dipole.
To top it all off, Jim followed up via e-mail to make sure all was OK. As a retired service rep, I have seen both good and poor service. This is as good as it gets.

Fred WA4SHA

WA2QIC Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2008 20:55 Send this review to a friend
Top notch  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My Yaesu FT-736R developed what seemed like a cut-out problem on 440. Jim figured out that the rig was actually jumping 20khz after a few minutes of warming up. This was a tough problem to troubleshoot, but Jim hammered away at it until the problem was isolated, and ultimately repaired. I also asked him to re-align the rig while he was at it, and I'm glad I did.

The rig arrived today, and I immediately put it to work. Signal reports on 2m simplex and repeaters as well as 440 repeaters were all very good and it was noted that the rig sounded better after repair/alignment than before. And most importantly...no frequency jumping!

Considering the level of difficulty in isolating the specific problem, Jim was more than fair with billing me for the repair. Communications from Jim were good, and he did everything he said he would. And unlike another repair outfit I have used in the past, this radio was returned to me exactly as I sent it.

A totally professional job.

WA2MBP Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2008 04:27 Send this review to a friend
FT-2000 Repair  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Jim is a fair and honest man and runs a very modern repair service in central, GA. During Field Day this year, we had a lightening strike about 50 yards from our CW tent. We had N1MM logging SW running and networked between our radios for 'Multi-Multi' type logging. Well, the lightening surge came in through the RS-232 port and killed all com via that port. It wasn't until Jim received my FT-2000 and diagnosed the problems that I knew the full extent of the strike! Both RX Preamps were blown and the Sub RX Quad amplifier was blown. Jim was able to obtain the parts quickly, repair the radio and met me on my way back from visiting my daughter at school in Auburn, AL. What Service! Jim knows his stuff and was able to diagnose the modern com problem as well as the RF side of the problems. I was initially concerned that the modern Yaesu FT-2000 equipment would be expensive board swap only, but Jim has modern Surface Mount capability to diagnose and replace to the component level.

WB4OMM Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2008 08:03 Send this review to a friend
Great Service!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had two radios (Yaesu FT-767GX, and FT-757GX) that were ready for service. After surveying several other "shops", I found Jim to be reasonably priced (and close - I'm in Florida, he's in Georgia). Jim responded via e-mail quickly, he serviced the radios prompltly, and the turn around was less than 3 weeks - compared to my last service that cost double, and took almost 8 weeks. I also got the impression he is honest, and will do the job right regardless of the time it takes (and not charged!!). I'll be sending a few more his way shortly. I highly recommend Jim.
Steve Szabo WB4OMM

KK7YC Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2008 21:23 Send this review to a friend
TS830s Repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
All I can say is wow!!!! sent Jim my old TS830s he fixed it up, aligned it and had it on it's way back with in two weeks after he received it. As good as new!I(maybe better)his fee was very reasonable, he was great at communicating via e-mail and you can bet that I will use Jim again.

Thanks Jim

KF4CZV Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2008 18:15 Send this review to a friend
I'll be back!  Time owned: months
Prompt, Reasonable, Knowledgeable and Honest! What more could you ask for? I have several more radios I'm planning to send his way!

Terry Hicks
KF4CZV

WA3YKD Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2008 04:27 Send this review to a friend
Very good and very prompt  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was very pleased with the repair work and also the fact that Weston kept in constant contact with me by e mail so I knew what was happening and when.
I would certainly recommend Weston to anyone needing repair work.

KD4CL Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2007 05:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellant  Time owned: more than 12 months
Repaired a FT 1000. Did a great job, With a very fast turn around,very up front and honest.

WB4GWA Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2007 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
Smoked my HP spectrum analyzer.....Called Jim..No worries. He fixed the thing and put all the smoke back into it in a jiffy. Great service and great workmanship. Jim is a pro. He can get to the nitty gritty of what is wrong and get you back on the air. He has worked on several things for me.... I would use his service before ANY factory service....

KI4KHI Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2007 08:47 Send this review to a friend
IC-820H Base 2m/440  Time owned: more than 12 months
Weston Electronics is where I will have all my Ham Radio Equipment repaired. Jim took the time to find a very difficult problem in my Icon 820H Base and fix it at a most reasonable price. The radio is now back to 100% operation.