Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | IC-RS-91 Help

Reviews Summary for IC-RS-91
IC-RS-91 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $55.95
Description: Optional PC remote control capability

When connected to a PC via an RS-232C cable, most functions of the IC-91AD/A* can be controlled from the PC with the optional RS-91 software. In DV mode operation, you can send and receive short messages of 20 characters (Max.) on the PC.
# RS-91 REMOTE CONTROL SOFTWARE
Provides remote control capability from a PC. OPC-1529R is included.
More info: http://universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/4736.html

You can write your own review of the IC-RS-91.

N7MSD Rating: 4/5 Oct 5, 2009 02:26 Send this review to a friend
Other reviews 99% correct, let me add...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I thought windows stuff could run on Mac now. If not, do what we do on Linux and run Wine or the commercial version known as Crossover. In fact, unless they fixed it in Wine itself, RS-91 will only install in Crossover because Wine (for some reason) can't handle unicode file names, and one of the install directories is in Japanese. This took a bit to figure out--I originally thought it was some sort of DRM, but using another free program that just breaks down InstallShield-created archives had no problem and showed where the problem was.

Other than that, the usual gripes about Icom programming software: can't take outside file formats, requires a mouse to enter data (Do they make their own data entry people use something like this?!?), etc.

Unlike some people, I find it very easy to program the IC-91 from the front--it's very similar to previous radios I've had. However, with the sheer number of memories, having a way to store it all just makes sense, and the remote control is a plus, though neutered by the fact nothing else understands the protocol and the program itself won't interface with anything!

Sigh...maybe one day I'll write my own FOSS radio program...

N5DHG Rating: 3/5 Oct 12, 2007 08:19 Send this review to a friend
An additional problem  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Agree with the comments of the previous review, but would add one problem -- there is no option to print the data you have entered.

AF6BH Rating: 3/5 May 21, 2007 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Works OK - Could be better  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
First, the control part works very well. You can select single or dual band view, starts scans on both receivers, get DV logs etc. This part I would grade as a 4+.

But programming is a bit tedious as you can't copy from an another source - you have to type. You basically work on an excel chart setting frequencies, DUP, offset, name and bank. Great tool compared to using the radio buttons, but it could be a much stronger tool. I grade this as part as 2, so overall its a 3 in my book.

What could be better?
- Selective import and export function. I'm sure that several HAMs have more than one radio and you would think that having the same brand HT as mobile/base would give some benefits? - Not with this sw.
- Native OSX support - Only windows today. Intel based MACs work OK, but you need extra sw such as Parallels Desktop and/or Bootcamp.
- Travel Plus support for easy trip preparation.
- Drag and drop, preferably from other apps. The GUI is pretty "clonky".

I have used the software on:
- Mac G4 Powerbook, using Virtual PC and and USB-serial-dongle. Not a great match, corrupted my frequencies during a copy/paste operation and would loose connectivity with the radio now and then. Probably not what the developer had in mind as platform, but I have stayed away from moving frequencies around while controlling the radio.
- PC/XP with USB-Serial-dongle. No real issues, but when turning the radio on from the software it will sometimes loose the connection and you will need to click retry.
- MacBook Pro (Intel), using Parallels and XP with the USB serial dongle. Works much better than VPC and I had no issues yet, but I spend a lot more time using my PC for this task.

My 2c.