Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FTM-10R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTM-10R
Yaesu FTM-10R Reviews: 53 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $460
Description: Dual band transceiver with multi-band coverage.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTM-10R.

K6EEP Rating: 2/5 Jan 20, 2016 21:55 Send this review to a friend
Remote mounting?   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio for several years. I remote mounted it under the passenger seat due to vehicle limitations. The head is mounted to the dash. One huge problem. The microphone only plugs into the case. So with the microphone under the passenger seat it is not feasible to transmit while driving. Also the head mount sticks out way too far and is very loose. The head also bounces around in the bracket. I made my own bracket which is way better.
Another thing that really bugs me is the power on/off button. You have to hold it down way too long before it does it's job.

The radio does meet the standard dual band radio criteria. But most manufacturers do that. This radio is getting dated. Newer cheaper products are available that are at least as good.

I have sold all my other Yaesu radios due to exceptionally poor design and engineering. This one is no exception.
K9ATK Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2015 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have four of these and have one on my 2015 BMWr1200GSAWC took a bit of time to wire it into my headset used a lightspeed aviation headset I took apart along with a ptt switch on the handlebar, great radio awesome power however my first mounting point was not ideal had exposer to water and dust so cleaned out the radio and mounted it in a box under rear rack and not a problem
KE6ZMY Rating: 1/5 Feb 16, 2014 16:14 Send this review to a friend
Very disappointing  Time owned: more than 12 months
Extremely disappointing. It's "rugged" advertising falls short of reality. Somehow it got condensation inside. Apparently from moisture in the air that condensed when air was pulled inside for cooling. Of course, moisture shorting out the motherboard is not warranted. Hoping it was a fluke I bought a 2nd one. Not a fluke. I sent both to Yaesu and they returned them to me as un-repairable and they told me both were not warranted because I got moisture in them. Thinking that perhaps Yaesu had strict policies against attempting repairs based on certain conditions, I sent them to Burghardt for repairs and they told me the same thing. Moisture had gotten inside and shorted out the parts. In my conversation with them it was speculated that moisture from the air condensed inside.
WB4LCN Rating: 4/5 Feb 6, 2013 12:31 Send this review to a friend
Here's how to get good AM.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The 2m and 70cm antenna receives well on FM, but not on AM. Why?

My solution: I mounted a short whip (no loading coil) just a 1.5 foot whip and connector.

Out the antenna port of the rig, I installed a diplexer.

Out of the diplexer: One side (the HF side) to the AM antenna. The other side (the VHF/UHF side) to the 2m/70cm antenna.

AM now has an antenna to work with. The 2m/70cm antenna tunes out the AM band. The whip, brings it back.
K9ROD Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2012 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio for my Jeep CJ7  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was looking for a radio that did both VHF and UHF for my Jeep CJ7. When I found this one that also offered AM/FM Broadcast Radio and a Line Input, I bought it. I have been very happy with the radio. The only exception is the lack of programming ability via a computer. I would have thought this was a thing of the past, but there are always trade offs in any radio. It is easy to program via the front panel once you get the hang of it. It is built very rugged. It has a good display and excellant sound from dual speakers. The size is very small, making it an excellant choice for my Jeep CJ7. One Note: You will need to buy the optional microphone. Another kind of dumb idea, but so are a lot of other radio setups. Would I recommend this radio to a friend - YES. Would I buy another one - YES. I am looking forward to one day buying the optional bluetooth boards so that I can have an intercom system in the Jeep during load road noise environment. Please also see my Yahoo Group for this radio and my web page for more radiop information. Thanks.
VE2TBC Rating: 3/5 Oct 30, 2012 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Ceramic filter failure  Time owned: more than 12 months
I always loved this radio with its strange look. It is not a design that will please every users.

The radio has a very good receiver and an excellent audio section. Its operation is very menu driven.

However, it has sufferred from a ceramic filter failure. Just like the kenwood 710 and V71. So this problem has contaminated many models of radios. Unfortunate, it was my favorite and I am very disapointed with new radio construction quality. Not to mention no recalls....
AC5S Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2012 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Nice rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not sure why there are so many negitive coments about the rig. Bought the radio for base station use and it works excellent in every way. Great receiver, plenty of power, and nice simple display. Menu structure is different than some radios, but once you learn the location of everything, no issues. Took less than 1 hour to load 25 memories. FM broadcast receiver is very good. AM receive, as metioned is a little weak. I was looking for a smaller size radio due to the space in the shack to mount the radio and the size remindes me a little of the FT-90. Might purchase another one for the off-road camping Blazer.

WF6O Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2012 14:14 Send this review to a friend
Almost perfect  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First of all, let me say this is NOT the rig I was looking for. Being in the area of Northern California where 440 is now a distant memory had me looking for a 2M rig with a seperation kit. There is no such animal anymore. Since I specifically wanted a rig to mount on my 2010 Honda Goldwing motorcycle I started doing research about 18 months ago. A lot of guys have Kenwoods, some have Icom rigs but by far the most popular for motorcycle mobile on a Goldwing is the FT-10R. So, I ordered one. I also considered how to wire the unit into the headset (Honda factory set). The answer came from a couple of members of the Motorcycle Amateur Radio Club who have made the installation. I talked to one and he highly recommended Kennedy Technologies for help with the interfacing.
The main box is located in the "trunk" where a CD changer and/or CB radio would mount. The head is mounted on the left side of the handlebar using a RAM mount. A little modification was necessary to get the head mounted securely. All of the interface units fit under the seat very nicely. WARNING! There is soldering involved when using the Kennedy interface. Not a lot, but if you follow the directions from Kennedy precisely, it won't work!
I also use a Diamond dual-band 5/8 wave NMO antenna mounted on the luggage rack mounted on top of the "trunk."
On power up, I could get the rig to "key" up, but couldn't hear any audio through the headset. After 2 hours of triple checking everything I could have possibly screwed up with the wiring, it hit me.... "You have to have the intercom activated, you idiot!!!"
Programming this one is a pain! I put in about 50 2M repeaters and it took me at least 3 hours to do it. Sure do wish there was a software option on this rig!
Excellent audio reports on transmit and very nice audio in the headset.
As this is dedicated to the Goldwing, I don't anticipate using if for anything else. I have plenty of other rigs in all the other vehicles (well, all except my wife's car. She won't let me touch it) so this one will be permanently attached to the motorcycle.
Except for the very difficult programming, this would be a highly recommended unit for anyone planning an installation on a motorcycle, ATV or boat. Very, very rugged construction...
K5CPF Rating: 4/5 Jul 20, 2011 16:23 Send this review to a friend
Trade-offs  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this almost a year ago for my primary vehicle. I have the radio mounted in the back of the vehicle. I love the size of the remote head, but it has really distorted sound at high volumes, so I had to run an external speaker from the radio. (there should be a jackl on the head)

Memory management is poor, but easily programmed from the remote head.

The display is impossible to read while wearing sunglasses.

Other than those items, I am very happy with this radio and glad I bought it. :)
G6SNL Rating: 4/5 Apr 30, 2011 14:25 Send this review to a friend
oops !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having only had this rig for a couple of weeks it's perhaps a bit unfair to pass comment yet, but I will anyway. On the whole so far its been ok fitted to my Honda Deauville motorcycle.

There is one fundamental fault in my opinion.

The head unit really needs to be mounted on the left side handle bar or centre to operate by left hand ( right hand is glued on accelerator )

When trying to change freq. on the move I can't see the display if I use my left hand. So I have to, pull the clutch, free wheel and reach across to the left with right hand. Obviously no Bikers in the design shop. Next time put the main dial knob on the left ! You can't easily use the buttons when wearing gloves anyway but changing frequency is required often on long journeys.