Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FTM-10R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTM-10R
Yaesu FTM-10R Reviews: 51 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $460
Description: Dual band transceiver with multi-band coverage.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTM-10R.

KE6ZMY Rating: 1/5 Feb 16, 2014 16:14 Send this review to a friend
Very disappointing  Time owned: more than 12 months
Extremely disappointing. It's "rugged" advertising falls short of reality. Somehow it got condensation inside. Apparently from moisture in the air that condensed when air was pulled inside for cooling. Of course, moisture shorting out the motherboard is not warranted. Hoping it was a fluke I bought a 2nd one. Not a fluke. I sent both to Yaesu and they returned them to me as un-repairable and they told me both were not warranted because I got moisture in them. Thinking that perhaps Yaesu had strict policies against attempting repairs based on certain conditions, I sent them to Burghardt for repairs and they told me the same thing. Moisture had gotten inside and shorted out the parts. In my conversation with them it was speculated that moisture from the air condensed inside.

WB4LCN Rating: 4/5 Feb 6, 2013 12:31 Send this review to a friend
Here's how to get good AM.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The 2m and 70cm antenna receives well on FM, but not on AM. Why?

My solution: I mounted a short whip (no loading coil) just a 1.5 foot whip and connector.

Out the antenna port of the rig, I installed a diplexer.

Out of the diplexer: One side (the HF side) to the AM antenna. The other side (the VHF/UHF side) to the 2m/70cm antenna.

AM now has an antenna to work with. The 2m/70cm antenna tunes out the AM band. The whip, brings it back.

K9ROD Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2012 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio for my Jeep CJ7  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was looking for a radio that did both VHF and UHF for my Jeep CJ7. When I found this one that also offered AM/FM Broadcast Radio and a Line Input, I bought it. I have been very happy with the radio. The only exception is the lack of programming ability via a computer. I would have thought this was a thing of the past, but there are always trade offs in any radio. It is easy to program via the front panel once you get the hang of it. It is built very rugged. It has a good display and excellant sound from dual speakers. The size is very small, making it an excellant choice for my Jeep CJ7. One Note: You will need to buy the optional microphone. Another kind of dumb idea, but so are a lot of other radio setups. Would I recommend this radio to a friend - YES. Would I buy another one - YES. I am looking forward to one day buying the optional bluetooth boards so that I can have an intercom system in the Jeep during load road noise environment. Please also see my Yahoo Group for this radio and my web page www.k9rod.net for more radiop information. Thanks.

VE2TBC Rating: 3/5 Oct 30, 2012 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Ceramic filter failure  Time owned: more than 12 months
I always loved this radio with its strange look. It is not a design that will please every users.

The radio has a very good receiver and an excellent audio section. Its operation is very menu driven.

However, it has sufferred from a ceramic filter failure. Just like the kenwood 710 and V71. So this problem has contaminated many models of radios. Unfortunate, it was my favorite and I am very disapointed with new radio construction quality. Not to mention no recalls....

AC5S Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2012 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Nice rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not sure why there are so many negitive coments about the rig. Bought the radio for base station use and it works excellent in every way. Great receiver, plenty of power, and nice simple display. Menu structure is different than some radios, but once you learn the location of everything, no issues. Took less than 1 hour to load 25 memories. FM broadcast receiver is very good. AM receive, as metioned is a little weak. I was looking for a smaller size radio due to the space in the shack to mount the radio and the size remindes me a little of the FT-90. Might purchase another one for the off-road camping Blazer.

WF6O Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2012 14:14 Send this review to a friend
Almost perfect  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First of all, let me say this is NOT the rig I was looking for. Being in the area of Northern California where 440 is now a distant memory had me looking for a 2M rig with a seperation kit. There is no such animal anymore. Since I specifically wanted a rig to mount on my 2010 Honda Goldwing motorcycle I started doing research about 18 months ago. A lot of guys have Kenwoods, some have Icom rigs but by far the most popular for motorcycle mobile on a Goldwing is the FT-10R. So, I ordered one. I also considered how to wire the unit into the headset (Honda factory set). The answer came from a couple of members of the Motorcycle Amateur Radio Club who have made the installation. I talked to one and he highly recommended Kennedy Technologies for help with the interfacing.
The main box is located in the "trunk" where a CD changer and/or CB radio would mount. The head is mounted on the left side of the handlebar using a RAM mount. A little modification was necessary to get the head mounted securely. All of the interface units fit under the seat very nicely. WARNING! There is soldering involved when using the Kennedy interface. Not a lot, but if you follow the directions from Kennedy precisely, it won't work!
I also use a Diamond dual-band 5/8 wave NMO antenna mounted on the luggage rack mounted on top of the "trunk."
On power up, I could get the rig to "key" up, but couldn't hear any audio through the headset. After 2 hours of triple checking everything I could have possibly screwed up with the wiring, it hit me.... "You have to have the intercom activated, you idiot!!!"
Programming this one is a pain! I put in about 50 2M repeaters and it took me at least 3 hours to do it. Sure do wish there was a software option on this rig!
Excellent audio reports on transmit and very nice audio in the headset.
As this is dedicated to the Goldwing, I don't anticipate using if for anything else. I have plenty of other rigs in all the other vehicles (well, all except my wife's car. She won't let me touch it) so this one will be permanently attached to the motorcycle.
Except for the very difficult programming, this would be a highly recommended unit for anyone planning an installation on a motorcycle, ATV or boat. Very, very rugged construction...

K5CPF Rating: 4/5 Jul 20, 2011 16:23 Send this review to a friend
Trade-offs  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this almost a year ago for my primary vehicle. I have the radio mounted in the back of the vehicle. I love the size of the remote head, but it has really distorted sound at high volumes, so I had to run an external speaker from the radio. (there should be a jackl on the head)

Memory management is poor, but easily programmed from the remote head.

The display is impossible to read while wearing sunglasses.

Other than those items, I am very happy with this radio and glad I bought it. :)

G6SNL Rating: 4/5 Apr 30, 2011 14:25 Send this review to a friend
oops !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having only had this rig for a couple of weeks it's perhaps a bit unfair to pass comment yet, but I will anyway. On the whole so far its been ok fitted to my Honda Deauville motorcycle.

There is one fundamental fault in my opinion.

The head unit really needs to be mounted on the left side handle bar or centre to operate by left hand ( right hand is glued on accelerator )

When trying to change freq. on the move I can't see the display if I use my left hand. So I have to, pull the clutch, free wheel and reach across to the left with right hand. Obviously no Bikers in the design shop. Next time put the main dial knob on the left ! You can't easily use the buttons when wearing gloves anyway but changing frequency is required often on long journeys.

N0TAN Rating: 1/5 Apr 5, 2011 22:57 Send this review to a friend
Seems promising, but falls short.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Yaesu FTM-10R hoping that it was all it's cracked up to be. Alas, it falls quite short.

If you are looking for an all-mode radio that you can use for AM and FM reception, as well as ham use, just stop reading now. Though the FTM-10R promises this, the AM reception is non existent. In the middle of the night I tested it, at a time when it should have been shitting AM stations right and left... Nothing. And I mean NOTHING!!! As if there is no antenna attached.

The fact that the radio comes with no mic is also a HUGE disqualifier. i tried the "shouting into the faceplate" thing, but all I got was poor audio reports. For the price Yaesu is just being plain old CHEAP not giving you a mic.

The radio also gets pretty bad reports of 60-cycle hum on the same bench and using the same PS as my old Icom ft-208H, but the Icom gets beautiful reports. Why the Yaesu is pumping out a hum is beyond me.

All in all, the radio is a huge disappointment and is going back to HRO in the morning.

ON4VP Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2011 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Rugged, versatile, well priced  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Besides I'm a ham operator since 1993 I've been riding motorcycles since I got my drivers licence back in 1982. After a few years of silence I regained interest in operation my station again. But the lack of time prohibits me from spending a lot of time in the attic playing with my radios. So why not combining two passions at the same time. The idea of mounting a radio on the motorcycle became more interesting day by day. So I start using Google to seek for info and the Yaesu FTM-10E (EU version) draw my attention. After spending some time examining on how to implement ham radio to my motorcycle, I've decided to get myself this radio.

Some say that they regret the radio comes without a decent microphone. Well, this model is targeted to use as some kind of intercom using headsets inside helmets. So I think it's a good decision and it keeps the overall cost to a minimum. I ordered the dtmf mic together wit the rig. First impression when I unboxed the radio: "Whoow, this is a very rugged piece of equipment".

The package is well sorted out containing the radio, separation kit, stereo leads for extra source input or stereo speaker output, mounting brackets and angeled installation kit.

Detaching the front panel makes the unit small enough to tuck it away on most motorcycles. It takes some planning to setup an antenna and routing all cables but once the job is finished all makes sense. The unit is not waterproof and needs some protection but the head is IP57 and can be mounted on the handlebar itself. I like the idea of routing audio to the unit, the front head, both or none (using a headset). The front head contains a speaker that is loud enough to use in a car. The only thing is when you mount this radio in a car with detached head you'll need a optional microphone connection that can be installed on the head.

I do like the layout of the buttons that can be manipulated wearing gloves. The radio needs some time getting used to because button layout and functions differ from most common dual band radios. Nevertheless I like the accessible actions trough the few buttons and the blue LCD display is great even outdoors in bright daylight. The only thing I would exchange is the s-meter/power meter led bar with the volume led bar. The last one is bigger and it would make more sense to me having a signal reading that's easier to read than the four led bar reading Yaesu implemented.

I love the receiver. Decent selectivity, good numbers and weak stations are well pulled out of the noise floor. Power is more than adequate, I mostly use the medium setting which is 20 watts output. Using the radio for longer period of times never makes it running hot even without the additional help of fans. I like fan-less radios.

Audio reports are good. Mic gain and sound characteristics can be tailored trough menu settings. I like the dual band monitoring making it possible to listen to FM radio, the line in source or monitoring a second channel while staying QRV on a preferred channel. Although programming takes some time to get used to, it's very versatile and most interesting settings can be altered or programmed in to no less than 500 users memories. The range of the receiver can be expanded from 76 up to 800 MHz.

All modern functions are available so there's almost nothing you can not do with this little friend. I can not comment on the Bluetooth functions because I'm not using wireless headsets. I prefer a cable to connect the helmet headset to the radio. It's possible to use the radio as a intercom system to.

To sum all up, I rate this radio a five. No radio is perfect but Yaesu had proven that they invested in a solution knowing that there's only a small group of enthusiasts that will buy this radio and use it the way Yaesu developed this rig. Besides that, considering the interesting price tag, the radio is rugged, fully featured, works well and makes operation a ham station in a less expected environment possible.

You get a good bang for the buck buying this product. I did. 73's de ON4VP