Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FTM-10R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTM-10R
Yaesu FTM-10R Reviews: 51 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $460
Description: Dual band transceiver with multi-band coverage.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTM-10R.

KT7DAD Rating: 4/5 Apr 4, 2009 19:55 Send this review to a friend
Update/improvements  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok, I need a water/dust proof radio, and in split installation that feature is "disabled".
I however solved the problem..

The two big holes in the piece between the control head and the radio got sealed with a solid center grommet.
Then I had a friend make me a cable using RGJ45 connectors. I thread the cable trough the center hole in the mounting plate, and plugged the cable in the radio, and filled up around the cable with silicone.
As of now, I am using a dual female connector between the short cable from the control head and the home-brew cable, but I will fit a female RGJ45 connector in my dash to get a better looking solution.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2009 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own 2 of these bad boys! Love them! I have one mounted in my camper, it gets damn hot in there in the summer and this rig works perfectly all the time. The second unit is in my work van and gets beat around and stuff spilled on it and works every time. Yes I wish there was programming software but after reading the manual and playing I have no problem programing them. Maybe someone will come up with a aftermarket programmer. But since this is a VERY specialized radio I will not hold my breath.

W2UIS Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2009 14:04 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a transceiver designed for "hands free" operation which it accomplishes very well.

If you desire a mobile unit with a microphone then buy another model.

If you don't like menus then buy another model.

If you don't like programing frequencies buy a crystal rig.

Overall a very well made piece of equipment from Yaesu at a reasonable price. Well suited for mobile, base, or portable operations.

Additionally you can listen to am and fm broadcast, aircraft and just about anything else that you can with a scanner.

All for less than $300.

Wow!

M0SAY Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2009 10:15 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RADIO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I HAVE BEEN A HAM FOR SOME TIME NOW I AM 56 YEARS OLD AND DISABLED BUT I LIKED THE LOOK OF THIS RADIO THE YAESU FTM-10, I HAVE READ THE MANUAL AND WITH IN 2 DAYS I HAD PUT 100 MEMORYS IN AND WORKED THE RADIO OUT I DONT NEED THE MANUAL NOW AS I HAVE FOUND THIS RADIO TO BE THE EASYIST RADIO I HAVE EVER HAD AND I HAVE HAD A FEW I HAVE A KENWOOD 2000 A YAESU VX7 HANDY A KENWOOD 950SDX AND KENWWOD 241E SO AS YOU SEE I AM NOT NEW TO RADIOS I JUST CANT UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE ON HEAR SAY THIS RADIO IS HARD TO PROGRAM ALL I CAN SAY AS THEY ARE NOT USE TO PROGRAMING, TO PUT A MEMORY IN IS SIMPLE AND THE ALPHA TAGS ARE THE SAME I LOVE THIS RADIO MINE AS THE BLUETOOTH AND HEADSET WITCH I GOT IN THE UK NEW IN A GREAT DEAL IF YOU LIKE HAVING A SMALL RADIO AND YOU HAVE NO ROOM GET THIS YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTED.

KV4AN Rating: 4/5 Jan 2, 2009 10:22 Send this review to a friend
GOOD FOR SMALL CARS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Needed a small radio that offerred flexibility in mounting for a small car (the XYL's Ford Focus). She also didn't want a lot of holes drilled in her car in the usual places. Decided upon the FTM-10. Bought the MMB-M10 stand bracket and mounted that horizontal at the rear of the tray under the 12V power outlets. Used the quick-release mount. Mounted the radio body to the rear wall of the glove box. A 20" black Comet dual-band on a black and chrome Diamond trunk lip mount made a very nice installation. The FTM-10 is a nice dual-band radio with plenty of menu options/features. The high-tech looking read backlit buttons and cool blue display matched the blue displays of the Focus. XYL is happy with installation, but didn't really like the built in microphone and even with the microphone gain on minimum, you still hear your fingers scraping while pressing the PTT on the control head. So, I had to order the microphone and connector kit. For the price of the rig, the microphone should have been included, which is why it got a "4".

KE6PID Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2008 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Super on a motorcycle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the FT-10R to mount on a motorcycle advertizing seems to indicate this model is specialized for this type of use. One of the most important functions of this radio for my use was Bluetooth operation. For Bluetooth operation an accessory board needs to be purchased and installed, which is very easy.
The transceiver comes with the control head/microphone attached to the radio which unless you buy one of the accessory separate mics is the last way youd be likely to use the radio. The radio comes with two easily interchangeable interconnect cables, a very short and a 10 long one - once you disconnect the control head from the body there are a number of mounting options one of which is to not mount it at all and use it as a microphone! It fits nicely in the palm of your hand and its very robust. Push to talk switch is right where youd expect it to be if it were a mic. If you had a small car and were unable to mount the control head this setup should work great. Its all there right in your hand. Neat.
Since I was mounting it on a motorcycle I opted to mount the waterproof control head to the handlebar with the optional MMB-M11 handlebar mount which worked flawlessly. It is supplied with two sizes of clamps and rubber sheets to securely clamp to the handlebars of motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs what ever your ride might be. The larger set of clamps is large enough to fit around the plastic sheathed handlebars found on Honda Gold Wings and BMWs touring bikes, like the K-1200LT. The mounting is neat and secure but not entirely theft proof as it can be easily disassembled with a screwdriver. The interconnect cable isnt quickly detachable from the control head however. I mounted the main unit, which isnt waterproof in the travel trunk. After routing power, control and antenna connections to the radio it was ready to go.
Special features the radio has two speakers, on in the main unit and a second one in the control head. Through a menu can select either one, both or neither. The optional Bluetooth adapter BU-1 can be installed in either the main unit or control head I mounted mine in the main unit and it works fine thanks to a plastic trap door in the cast aluminum case to allow the Bluetooth signals through. Although Yaesu sells a Bluetooth headset as an accessory; I opted to try it with a J&M HS-BLU-277 Bluetooth helmet system I was worried about how these two items would interact with each other and found them almost 100% compatible. The only non compatible function was the battery save feature, when activated after a short while the radio signals the Bluetooth headset to shut off. I found there was no way to wake it back up until there was receive activity. To solve the issue the battery save option can be turned off at the cost of shorter Bluetooth headset battery life. All three of my Bluetooth devices acted the same way. The button on the Bluetooth headset thats used to answer a call when paired with a phone becomes your PTT switch when paired with the FT-10R. The FT-10R has an adjustable sensitivity VOX function that seems to work without any false triggering with the noise concealing J&M headset at normal highway speeds. Its possible to turn the Bluetooth VOX function off from the control head, but its fiddly and while riding with gloves-not recommended! I am working on adding a hardwired PTT switch which ought to be able to connect to the accessory mic jack on the control head. It could also be wired to the main unit, as it already has a mic jack.
Other handy features: Ambient noise controlled volume the faster the louder. AM/FM stereo radio the AM part doesnt work at all with the wave dual band antenna I selected to work with the radio. With a random wire it plays okay. Memory functions: Extremely easy to use once you read the manual and get up to speed. If you plug an external speaker into it its very loud, its got a high powered audio amp that really blasts the sound out. Its also got a PA function with several sound effects that will play if you receive a coded message and many-many more features.
The radio is differ in form and function from most other radios. Youll need to go through the manual understand and enjoy the many thoughtful features custom designed for the motorsports enthusiast.

KB0XR Rating: 4/5 Oct 25, 2008 05:29 Send this review to a friend
Good Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one to install in my new 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander. Installed the radio head in homemade mount inserted into cup holder under dash on console. Main body under the drivers seat mounted on a small breadboard with 5 inch wide velcro that locks it into the carpet.

VHF/UHF transmit and receive just fine. Utility monitoring(railroad and AM Aircraft) works well. AM broadcast band reception is a no go for me. On glass antenna just won't work for the AM. Neither did a Maldol VHF/UHF whip mounted on lip of hatchback.

Tedious programming of memories. I just can't remember the sequences from one day to the next.

Texas Towers sold me this for $269 shipped to my door. Best price I could find.

I see that the Milwaukee ham store is closing these out already. Might get a deal there if you want one.

Yaesu missed the mark by not having it software programmable.

ONKAN Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2008 13:15 Send this review to a friend
FTM-10 in mobile use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great tranceiver ! Installed in my car, reports give transmit audio as broadcast FM, a lot of possibilities inside this dual band small box. A little difficult to program at the begining, but after few days, no more problems. No regrets !
73's de ON3KAN Jean-lOUIS

HP1KL Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2008 16:04 Send this review to a friend
Well built!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got mine from HAM CITY and installed it, as I had originally planned, in my mid-size SUV with a thru-glass 2 meter/75 cm antenna. I mounted the detachable control head over the rear view mirror and secured the main chassis to a large bolt that supports one of the rear "jump seats." The extendable cable was just the right length by running it along the lining where it meets the top of the doors. I am amazed at the sensitivity on both VHF and UHF -- especially considering the thru-glass antenna, which naturally is not the most efficient. I do much utility frquency scanning and have noticed that reception on the 850-860 Mhz band is not as good as it should. My IC-Q7A handy talkie does better inside the car, even with a small racing-type antenna (again, not the most sensitive). Changing antennas on the FTM-10R did nothing to improve 800-Mhz reception. Yes, the radio is difficult to program, but it is very well built, sturdy, and just the right size. Unlike the IC-208H, the FTM-10R includes the separation cable and a great variety of mounting hardware. The HAM CITY price was also unbeatable.

PS - I was "shot down" for writing a "review" before I actually purchased the radio. I had only intended to mention the possibility of mounting the control head over the mirror or visor, which is what I did eventually. It works fine and no one suspects I am not using a mike!

73's -- Tony/HP1KL

K1LDS Rating: 2/5 Sep 14, 2008 10:23 Send this review to a friend
Great idea, poorly implemented  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Somewhere at Yaesu, there is a guy in charge of making sure that there is at least one really bad decision made in planning new radios.

The FTM-10 series must have posed a challenge, because he came up with TWO gotchas.

First, both parts of the FTM-10SR are water resistant, but if you separate control head and RF module on the FTM-10R (same radio with more power) only the head is water resistant.

That can be dealt with (put the RF section in a protected place), but the real design-killer is that there is no way to program memories on this radio from a computer! This may be the only new rig in a decade which lacks this MUST-HAVE feature! Programming manually is a real pain in the neck.

There are other good features, especially for someone who rides two-up or with other hams, but a solo rider might be better off with the VX-7R (which can be used away from the motorcycle) and an amplifier.

However, this does show that Yaesu has decided to build radios for those of us who live on parts of the planet where there is RAIN . . !