Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | G5RV Multibander Help

Reviews Summary for G5RV Multibander
Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$60.00
Description: 80/75 thru 10 meter ( minus 30 mtr) band wire antenna

You can write your own review of the G5RV Multibander.

KF4MKP Rating: 3/5 Nov 4, 2017 10:24 Send this review to a friend
great for field day  Time owned: more than 12 months
with a tuner you can get a good match and operate. However, most of your transmitter power is wasted as heat in the tuner, and you don't get the radiated power like you would if you have a resonant wire for your specific frequency. However, it works for what it was designed to do. we used one for field day a few years ago and we made a lot of contacts. This is not my first choice for DX-ing, but is a good antenna when you need something up that is quick and easy, like field day or just to have a usable antenna aftern a storm takes down the beam.

M0KFO Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2015 12:57 Send this review to a friend
Price & bands covered  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, what can you say. It is much maligned and you're told why it doesn't work, but yes it does. I can't complain, 30 for a mid range full G5RV.

On 10w (my licence conditions) I've made Morocco (10m) and Trinidad & Tobago (20m) in the last week. I've also used 160m (remember 10w), not the strongest signal but it can be used. Mines only 20ft high.

I use a 1:1 current balun/line insulator to stop any stray RF and keep the noise floor down. I use it with a MFJ-971, which supposedly can't really make it on 160m, but it does. I'm not saying it is resonant and that the SWR isn't high on some bands, but with the ATU, I get 1:1 across the board 160-10, no movement at all on the meter when I press the PTT.

My advice, buy one to get you going, and later diversify or specialise if you want specific bands, or just leave it up and enjoy your radio.

N7CYA Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2015 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Porduct  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My G5RV multi-bander is the best designed dipole I have come across. After fixing a couple MY mistakes with the help of Kerry at Eham.net my antenna is working VERY well. Thanks eham for a great product at a great price, with great customer support

N3IG Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2014 08:47 Send this review to a friend
Only Ant. for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using a G5RV for the past 7 years and never had a need for any other antenna on HF. With a manual or ldg tuner it can be used on any band.

I found the secret to a succesful G5RV is to use 300 ohm not 450 ohm twin lead for the matching section. Most do not know the original plans call for 300. I have used transmission type as well as tv type and they both work depending on the power you are running.

There is no balun on a G5RV. The people that put a balun or use 450 ohm are the ones that will tell you they don't work.

K1VI Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2014 05:40 Send this review to a friend
Update to earlier review - now EIGHT-BAND DXCC  Time owned: more than 12 months
Updating my earlier review below: 16 months ago I added the 12m, 17m, and 30m endorsements to make it 8-band DXCC, and as of 11/2014 I have 256 countries confirmed (I keep my QRZ page updated). VERY happy with the results, in what I consider an average installation.

ON2HB Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2014 01:34 Send this review to a friend
The best multibander there is.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this antenna up in the trees at 18m and fully horizontal. It works great on anything between 80m to 6m, but requires a good tuner.
It even works on 160m if you turn it into a Marconi-top-loaded. I have it up for 1.5 years and yet have to meet anything better that is not a beam.
Have no problems working the entire world with just 50W(average).

And the price is unbeatable, just 50 euro's.

Two remarks:

1) You MUST use a good choke else it won't work and the neighbours will want to kill you.
2) What ever you do, do not tie the twin-line against a pole or put it on the ground, it must stay clear of any objects and run as much straight down as you can.

KB9NGX Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2014 10:53 Send this review to a friend
Done right. No anxieties.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the G5RV as my sole antenna for HF and six meter. Presently , and over five years. I am thankful for its design and performance. It has been very good with my resources : time, money, mounting requirements. And offers no actual concerns about weather or service life. If this antenna had not been a good near and far performer, I would have replaced it with a different style.

KB0VOY Rating: 1/5 Dec 2, 2013 05:38 Send this review to a friend
OX cart of radio antennas  Time owned: more than 12 months
POS G5RV all band antenna one leg down again. Can stay down , never worked for ! any way. Signal report up north on dedicated 80 meter V all most 3 times the G5RV. G5RV is the OX cart of radio antennas. Will get you there but slow and no one hears you and all you se is BUT. Don't work any better on 20 meter. If you only can put up 1 antenna put up an antenna for one band or suck hind teat. If I was going to a Excrement fight a G5RV antenna would be my first choice to take for ammunition. That is my review.
73s

KI4KSY Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2009 16:00 Send this review to a friend
A+  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Built a g5rv today and a 4:1 balun put it up and will not be taking it down. This thing works!!! And it cost me $4.56 to build.

KI4UAJ Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2007 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Great performing Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased the G5RV Multibander wire antenna from AES. Comes completely assembled and ready to install. Components are of high quality as is the assembly.Length is 102 feet, with 30 feet of 300 ohm down feed into a Balun that is sealed with 50 feet of mini RG8, does not come with 259 connector. I have it strung between two trees that are 96 feet apart with one end @45 feet up, the other end at @35 feet up with the center feed point at @32 feet. The G5RV is connected to a LDG AT 100 Auto tuner which is providing SWRs of 1:1 or less on all bands. So far it is performing Great!, I switch between the G5RV and a Hustler 4BTV with a 17 mtr add-on.