Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Autronic Single Paddle Help

Reviews Summary for Autronic Single Paddle
Autronic Single Paddle Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $17
Description: Single-lever paddle, produced by Electrophysics in the 1960's. Available used for $30 - $70.

You can write your own review of the Autronic Single Paddle.

W4UTI Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2014 07:37 Send this review to a friend
Best I've ever had!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Iíve been a CW operator (addict) for 64 years. During that time, Iíve spent a lot of time and a lot of money searching for the ďperfectĒ key for me. Iíve bought and sold keys made in Europe and the United States and costing up around $400. Until recently, I had found just one key, the G4ZPY Very High Speed model (ďiambicĒ). Gordon Crowhurst and his wife made these keys and they were available in the 1990's and rated about the best on the market. I saw a nice looking key, the Autronic, on E-Bay. I knew nothing about them but, on a whim, I bought the key. WOW! First, it is quite distinctive looking, and is built like a tank. It should last a lifetime. Itís heavy and stays where you put it on the desk. I think it is quite attractive. Now, what Iím about to write will be considered absolute heresy by many CW ops. This single-lever key, manufactured in the U.S. in the 1960's, sold for $16.95 (postpaid). Itís a single-lever key and out-performs any other key Iíve ever tried, except for the G4ZPY, and I consider it equal to that model. The design is a little different, and it took me a little while to get it adjusted just right, but what a reward! I have the contacts (silver) set very tight and the springs (Yes! Springs!) set for a very light touch. Absolute positive keying with NO bounce-back at 35 wpm. Thatís as high as I currently have my keyer set. And the adjustments stay in place, so no constantly trying to re-adjust the screws. It looks great. My Autronic looks brand new. Not a chip or mark in the paint, and the plated hardware is shiny and bright. I paid $60 for mine, and consider it better than any key on the market, at any price, new or used (and I consider it equal to my G4ZPY.). Iím still in awe that I found this little jewel, and at that price. Well, they say even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2014 22:33 Send this review to a friend
TERRIFC  Time owned: more than 12 months
IF U CAN FIND ONE ,AND ITS COMPLETE ,PLEASE BUY IT ... THEY ARE OUT THERE...
ITS HEAVY, U CAN MAKE THE SPACING FOR THE DITS AND DAHS AN ATOM WIDE ,THE TENSION FEATHER LIGHT,THE ADJUSTMENTS STAY, U CAN DO HIGH SPEED CODE , AND IT DOESNT MOVE AROUND ... THEY SHOULD BRING IT BACK ...I HAVE 40 KEYS ... I ALWAYS COME BACK TO THIS ONE ...

K1FT Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2009 06:25 Send this review to a friend
Well Designed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used an Autronic paddle on and off for the past ten years. My key collection includes some very good iambics including Jones, March, Begali, N3ZN, Schurr, and Kent and Bencher single levers that I can use for comparison.
If and when you get some arthritis and the iambic key starts making mistakes, a single lever key (at least for me) is a great cure. The Autronic is a bit of a complicated articulated design, but it holds settings, is whisper quiet, and has little unwanted movement. They are fairly common showing up regularly on ebay for under $50.
A race bearing single lever would certainly have less vertical movement, but unless you are into high speed CW, the Autronic is a great value. I use it exclusively now, the rest are static displays.

KI6UP Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2009 23:08 Send this review to a friend
Very nice and built like a tank  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This key is so cool. I have used a bencher for 25 years, and this takes a bit of getting used to as it is not iambic - but is it made good.... oh yea, A dear old friend, not a silent key, NR7E swore a single lever key is faster then iambuc - we shall see - I was given this key so I can not say what is would sell for, but I would highly recommend it.

VA7CPC Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2007 20:41 Send this review to a friend
Still nice after 40 years  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using a Bencher BY-2, and wanted to try a single-lever paddle.

I bought an Autronic paddle over eBay for $46. It was made sometime in the 1960's. It has a heavy, compact base (3 3/4" square), crinkle-finished. The arms are cast and chrome plated, the contacts are silver. The adjusting screws are knurled nicely, but not super-fine pitch. The look is out of the "IBM Selectric" era, if you remember those.

All I did was clean the contacts with some cloth and alcohol, and adjust the contact gaps. They'll hold a tiny gap -- I can just barely feel the fingerpieces move -- and key reliably.

The mechanical design is neat -- see US Patent 3,098,898. There's one plain bearing, with both arms riding on it. After 40 years, there is a tiny bit of vertical play at the fingerpieces, but _no_ horizontal play. It's built to last.

It's a joy to use -- just gentle pressure, with no noticeable paddle movement. I'm slow, but some QRQ guys have told me it works well at high speed.

Unlike the Kent SP-1, it's very, very quiet. Unlike the Bencher, the arms are rigid and unbending.

If you want a single paddle, consider an Autronic. Good design is forever.