Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | Rohn HDBX-48 Free Standing Tower Help

Reviews Summary for Rohn HDBX-48 Free Standing Tower
Rohn HDBX-48 Free Standing Tower Reviews: 13 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $$999 - $1600
Description: The Rohn HDBX series towers are the heaviest, and strongest of the BX series. Available in heights of 24' to 48', they consist of the bottom sections of the full 64' standard BX tower. The legs are of beaded channel. They have X bracing that is riveted at the ends and in the middle.
More info: http://www.alabamatower.com/HDBX.asp

You can write your own review of the Rohn HDBX-48 Free Standing Tower.

WK9U Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2016 00:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Tower  Time owned: more than 12 months
This tower is absolutely just fine. I've had many and it does what it needs to do. I personally like the tapered sections utilizing a wide base and minimizing towards the top. A 30m and 6m beam with 14 +/- foot booms using a 10 foot mast extending out the top bearing is working well. Assemble it correctly, have it plum, and anchored per spec and it's great.

To the clown who left a review a couple down from me, are you a TROLL ? You left 1 out of 5 stars with a comment about a windload statement. Spend some time in the hobby or communications profession and maybe your opinion will matter to this op, anyway. Spend 30 hours each contest turning a rotor every 30 minutes or chasing DX for instance. I have a few towers and have different beams on the appropriate towers. It's all about the install and common sense.

KI0Z Rating: 3/5 Oct 25, 2015 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Keep an eye on the Rivits  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having had 2 towers an "A"&"B" series later, I always questioned the Manual that said "Boom NO LONGER THAN 10' " .Well the engineer was correct after a few years going up to do work on it I noticed a few Rivets were loose & some were not there . so I replaced them with a #5 bolt, Lock washer, and Loctite. This has happened on several towers of other hams I KNOW. SO BE VIGELENT AND CHECK YOUR TOWER OR YOU TO COULD HAVE NO RIVITS ON AN ENTIRE X OF THE TOWER OR WORSE . 73 GL KI0Z..

KI4AX Rating: 1/5 Oct 25, 2015 08:19 Send this review to a friend
Beware of specifications  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just be aware that the Rohn HDBX-48 can only support about 2 sq. feet of antenna load at 100 mph wind. It is a good tower for VHF and UHF verticals.

N5OP Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2015 11:23 Send this review to a friend
An excellent tower for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my HDBX48 tower since 1985. It started with me in CO along the Front range and is still with me in central OK. It holds a Cushcraft 40CD2, a Cushcraft DW-3, an Arrow 2 m/70 cm dual band corner reflector and a KLM KT34a. The 40 m antenna is just above the TB3 thrust bearing, the DW3 and Arrow antennas are at about 4 ft above the top and the KT34A is about 8 ft above the top. To rotator is a T2X. Total wind load is about 15 sq ft. The tower is very strong but the rotor plate is only stamped steel mounted by three tabs, one in each tower leg. In CO, two of the tabs broke off and so I bolted it to each leg using six bolts, one on each side of each leg. I use the BX hinged base with the 4 ft anchor bolts. That has lasted for about 25 years without incident. Max recorded wind speed about 8 ft below the top with this load is 84 MPH. I have since recorded about 76 MPH at 10 m above the ground, so the wind at the antenna level was a fair bit stronger. The tower requires a hefty chunk of concrete: 6 cu yds. I use the I have never found loose or failed rivets anywhere. The tower is quite uncomfortable to climb due to the X braces. Good, stiff boots are a necessity. Better yet, a cherry picker makes any work on it much easier.

W4MEC Rating: 4/5 Sep 14, 2014 07:40 Send this review to a friend
HDBX gives good service.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the HDBX-48 up for over 20 years now with no problems. It is a bit of a bear to climb, I'm 6'4" with big feet and when at the top I have a foot in each side, but Rohn 25 is just as difficult for me. I have a Wilson tribander, 5 ele. on 6 and 13 on 2 up there, along with a 6 others hanging off the sides for 6 meters and up, mostly ground planes and coaxial style and an aluminum tube 6 meter dipole. I was warned that large arrays will flex the tower and pop the rivets, but I have not seen this occur, but my windload is far below the tower specs. One thing I do for maintenance is to wire brush and cold galvanize the rust as it appears and also use auto body undercoat in a spray can around the tower legs where they exit the concrete. I discovered the comments on this tower while researching the cost of 28 feet of BX tower trying to figure out why MFJ charges so much for the HyTower. BX, HBX, and HDBX are really expensive now-a-days, they used to be one of the most economical towers around, guess they are cheaper than a lot of other options though.

K9WI Rating: 3/5 Dec 28, 2012 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Hell to climb  Time owned: more than 12 months
Tower is a tapered tower, with the top most section only about 10 inches wide. While there is a ladder on this section, unless you are a dwarf, it is useless. Climbing the other sections are no fun either as they are very narrow in width.

Raising the tower was no problem for me since I hired a crane.

AJ3A Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2011 21:38 Send this review to a friend
LIKE A ROCK!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this tower up since 1991 and it stands tall and ready for anything Mother Nature send her way. I have about 100lbs that sits on it It has survived three hurricanes with no damage at all.

W7NIK Rating: 1/5 Oct 20, 2011 09:52 Send this review to a friend
Thomas And Shelby company wants big money for plans  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I tried to purchase this tower. The plans for stamped drawing for the building dept was $1500. Thomas And Shelby sell the product but do not surport documents for the install requirements
Always have the drawings before spending money on a tower.

K4GDW Rating: 4/5 Mar 18, 2011 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Rock solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a HDBX48 tower up now for 3 years with a Tennedyne T6 LPDA, 10 element VHF yagi, and a Comet GP9 vertical stacked above it. The T6 has a 12' boom, 2' longer than the recommended length and I've had 0 problems. I have watched it in 60mph wind gusts when the last hurricane that hit the gulf coast made it to Montgomery as a tropical storm. It didn't budge at all. There is no visible rust.

Installing it was a little bit of a hassle as the sections didn't want to fit together. I pity the next owner of the property if they decide they want to remove that 5'9" x 5'9" concrete block. I didn't even attempt to dig that monster myself. I hired a concrete company to do it. When all was said and done, the concrete truck had about a wheelbarrow full of concrete left over out of the 5 yard minimum load. I'll be moving soon and will be having a tower moving party. With any luck, the only thing I"ll have to buy in the way of tower hardware is a new set of base stubs.

K9FON Rating: 4/5 Aug 9, 2009 20:31 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a BX 48 in my backyard and without a dought, it is a great tower. It however, only holds up a doublet and a 10 meter veticle ex CB 5/8 wave antenna. When installing the sections sometimes they dont nest together all that well and it takes a bit of "jimmying" to get the sections to fit together. Also, never climb one of these towers wearing athletic shoes, as your feet will hurt! A lot of hams on the forums down these towers, saying they will not hold the boomlenth and windload. Thats bullcrap, as I have several Rohn BX towers here around me that hold everything from TV antennas to Moonraker 6 32' CB beam antennas, and some of these towers have been up 35+ years. I think Rohn underrated the loading capabilities so as not to be sued if someone did overload the tower and it came down.
Overall, these towers are very well made and id take another one if i had the chance.