Reviews Categories | Microphones | ICOM SM 10 equalizer microphone Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM SM 10 equalizer microphone
ICOM SM 10 equalizer microphone Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: (missing—add Description)
More info: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/675

You can write your own review of the ICOM SM 10 equalizer microphone.

WZ0CX Rating: 4/5 Apr 20, 2013 03:35 Send this review to a friend
Good looking mic.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Looks nice, feels nice but...
Make sure your station has a proper AC ground, very susceptible to RF.
No light in meter, nice addition, I added a led to mine and looks nice.
Had no luck with the equalizer, I use it fixed on compressor mid.
Good reports but the SM-8 blows it away!
Over all ok.

KF7ARG Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2011 10:08 Send this review to a friend
5/5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
PERFORMANCE: Almost but not quite as good as mic's MUCH more expensive.

FEATURES: More than any other mic new or out of production. A "working" 4 band G-EQ that You can tailor to Your specific radio and voice.

A speech compressor that also works ( works to good ) because the one built into most HF gear will have to be turned off.

Output Gain, again it's too much when integrated into your radios own gain control, so You can almost whisper and over drive / peg the modulation.

Compression: On / Off & an EQ On / Off so You can go un-powered (so to speak).

Radio Freq / Channel Up & Down , not really necessary on a VFO radio , but cold be used on memory channels if You don;t want to reach another 6" inches to the radio face , lol.

PTT & PPT-Lock: Nice positive click without "clicking" transiting it over the air, also the PPT-Lock is electric not mechanical.

Analog Meter: I like a real needle that moves vs LCD or other graphical simulations, this mic has one, but it is also something I don't pay attention to because it is looking strait up and so it is at an esteem visual angle, and I as a person at a desk am looking horizontally forward (at the more easy to read radio / rig's meter )

Looks: It looks better than a hot fudge Sunday on Monday ( nice) "if" You like a more modern look.

I am torn between this nice look and a more classic commercial broadcaster Neumann mic on an articulating arm type of look. It is Grey with tasteful white line graphics so it matches all Grey face rig's, obviously it matches late 80's early 90's Kenwoods. Speaking of Kenwood's, You will need to run a separate power wire from the mic to a separate little power supply to use this with a Kenwood as Kenwood only supplies 8V and this mike needs 13.8V as Icom's supply 13.8.It's no big deal for anyone with radio tech experience to do.

Do NOT just plug it into a Kenwood , it is set up for Icom only, it will be frozen in TX and you may burn an audio circuit.

I will send You the schematic diagram for this mic if You need it to wire it to a Kenwood.

Build: I open mine up and the board , soldering & components are top notch.

I modified mine to integrate into my laptop PC with an extra audio out via a female mini jack in back of the mic case so I can speak into my sound card to record voice over audio into a voice editing software ( works perfect ) mic now has double use as Ham mic and a pro audio voice over mic.

Sound Performance : Ah yes this is were You will LOVE this mic, it really does come a close second to the high end studio gear for a LOT less. You really can tailor it to You own voice, needs and gear. You will sound like Joe Pro on talk radio show, even on sideband ! , lol, well "almost", lol.

It is sensitive and so the fan on that old squirrel cage power fart supply will have to be remotely placed below the desk , over there, no no farther away WAY over there >> , lol.

E-bay: Scan E-bay & E-Ham net every day till next Christmas because this is Your future Christmas present.

Buying Tips: You will never see 2 of them selling at one time, so if Your Elmer has Alzheimer jump on it before he forgets permanently that he promissied to sell it to You for $75, lol.

This is not a SM 60 or a D104, this is a hard to find mic, so 1) You will pay $175 or more for it, 2) Don't bid on the mic until the last 30 seconds, let all the amateur Ebay'ers bid like crazy , exactly at the last 30 seconds ( or less) click / bid $250, You will win it for about $160 to $175 and the other guy's will run out of time trying to jump up $10 at a time, "winks".

I hope this was helpful.

VR2AX Rating: 4/5 Apr 13, 2008 08:50 Send this review to a friend
Complicated SM-8  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these expecting that it would be an upgrade from the SM-8. After a large amount of adjusting, I got it to perform as well as the SM-8. It has quite a few moving parts. Overall I prefer the SM-8 but this is a close second, if you are willing to exercise patience in adjusting it.

SIERRAHOTEL Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2007 22:19 Send this review to a friend
Why did I sell mine?  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was easily the best mike I ever had. Over the years, I've had all the usual ones, D104's, Turner+2 's and 3's, Kenwood MC-50's and 60's, Icom Sm-6, and a bunch of others, and nothing equaled the SM-10. I had a friend who has known me since the 8th grade, and he says the only mike where I sounded absolutely perfect, like I was in the room. When cranked up, it was insanely loud. A friend out West recorded me on it, and I have to say, I sounded very impressive when it was backed down, and very "DX" when it was cranked up, with a treble rise.

I had zero issues with it, and sold it with my Kenwood TS450 when I was offered $100 bucks for it. I instantly regretted it, the Icom SM-6 I used after that on another rig was ok, but not anywhere close to the SM-10 was. Even dumber, I passed on one of the SM-10 clones for $80 a few years ago. I see them on Ebay once in a while, but it's hard to pay more than the thing cost new in the first place.

N1FCJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2006 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Great mic that's no longer available.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the SM-10 for over 10 years now and you could not pry it away from me. I just added an LED backlight to the meter and it looks great. I get great audio reports and seeing how much Icom and Heil get for their mics today, this one will not be leaving the shack anytime soon. Mine is an older one and as I mentioned in my previous review, the meter does not go above 0dB unless you apply at least 10V. The circuit is designed for 13.8V according to the schematic I got from Icom. Other users report their meter works fine with the 8V provided from the radio, so I wonder if Icom modified the circuit with later units? If you want a copy of the schematic, email me. I scanned it to a PDF. It is not great quality because the original looks like a 5th generation photocopy and the component values were written rather small but that is all Icom had available. This is not a CAD schematic but hand drawn. Also, see my previous review for more details on this mic. I originally gave it a 3 but given the audio reports I get and what is available now for mics, I boosted it to a 5. Mine needed some tweaking but after that it produces great audio and has withstood the test of time.

NRDMAN Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2002 06:19 Send this review to a friend
Nice mike, but overpriced when new.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these when they first came out, and used it on my Icom Ic-735, and later on my Kenwood Ts450SAT. I paid $130 for it. A friend heard me that night, and said I sounded really great, but bassier than my voice really was. A touch of the bass freq slider, and he said I was perfect! I never had any problems with it, and had it for about 10 years. I sold it when I sold my Ts450. It was a mistake to sell either. I had no problems running it with 8 volts, the meter easily pegged, and I could generate very annoying to listen to, but good DX audio at a touch of a switch. I had a friend on he west coast tape me with various settings on it, in poor conditions, and I could really punch through the noise, and other stations too. There are at least two other identical mikes out there that were cheaper, They are exactly the same in every way but color. I had one I wired up for someone, it was blue and had some odd name, but it was exactly the same mike, and I saw a silver one too once with yet another name on that one. If it looks like an SM-10, it is, and if it's cheap, grab it, you won't be sorry!

WB9YCJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2000 12:44 Send this review to a friend
A Keeper ! Many Compliments.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought it at the San Diego ham-swapmeet (Santee drive-in) about five years ago, for $50. I knew I could triple or double my money in the "Yellow sheets" or perhaps someday use it with a 781. Well, a year ago, I picked up a 781. Circumstances aside, I get great audio reports. With the 781's built in monitor function and my Sennheiser 580 headphones (totally flat 16 Hz to 30KHz), I am able to adjust transmit audio response to almost a tee. To get it to a tee, I will invest in the Heil Goldline with W2IHY equalizer. With the SM-10, I have found it easy to mildly distort audio if the "output" control is turned to high. I have had no "RF in audio" problems. The built in analog meter is godsend-you never guess if you have enough audio feeding the transmitter. Period. AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO HIS GOLDLINE, I mentioned this mike to Bob Heil at this year's Dayton. Strangely, he said I should get rid of it through EBAY (and buy his). I asked why? He said the frequency response of the SM-10 mic element itself is insufficient compared to his "Goldline" #5! I cant really argue this, as Ive heard several Goldlines on 756 Pros and I am waiting to put a Goldline and W2IHY on my 781. I do believe the SM-10 is a excellent poor mans version of the before mentioned. I operate a lot of Wide Amplitude Modulation on 29 MHz. Here, I sound quasi-broadcast quality with the SM-10 compressor circuit. These are now considered collector's items by many. They are adaptable to other rigs as well. If interested, I have for sale a quality Japanese made "clone" of the SM-10 , black in color. Contact me.

K4EBK Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2000 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Good sounding mike, from all reports, wish I could get a schema  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good mike eq and compresser work well(turn off the radio comp) I use it with a IC765 and have had great reports. The meter works fine, the only reason it doesn't get a five is that it is big and a little unweildy on the desk.

N1FCJ Rating: 3/5 Apr 10, 2000 20:16 Send this review to a friend
Nice mic with a few quirks.  Time owned: unknown months
I have used this mic with two radios. A Kenwood TS-440 and an Icom 746. It works very well if you ground it well and keep it away from RF but if not, beware. With the Kenwood, I had to rewire and mod the mic to make the UP/DN switches work but it did work. If you turn on the compressor button on the radio, the mic would feedback. I solved this by running a seperate ground wire from the chassis of the mic to the chassis of the radio. This completely solved the problem. On the IC-746 I had similar problems. When wired to an Icom radio, there is one unused wire in the cord (green). Unsolder the wire at the PCB end, scrape the coating from the ground trace on the bottom of the mic PCB and solder it there. Then tin the other end (at the 8 pin connector) and attach it to the metal can of the connector. This will provide additional grounding and help a great deal. Once I got it working right, I got great audio reports. One last issue: The mic is designed to run from 12V but most of todays radios only provide 8V at the mic connector (including the Icoms it is meant to work with). The only problem with running it on 8V is the meter does not go past 100% even if you scream into it. This makes the meter pretty useless so just ignore the meter and just set it up for good audio. Summary: It's a nice mic if you don't mind tweaking a bit.