Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | Balun Designs 1:1 Feedline Isolation Balun Help

Reviews Summary for Balun Designs 1:1 Feedline Isolation Balun
Balun Designs 1:1 Feedline Isolation Balun Reviews: 37 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: 1:1 3kw and 6kw baluns providing balanced to unbalanced transition and common mode choking for feedline decoupling
More info: http://www.balundesigns.com

You can write your own review of the Balun Designs 1:1 Feedline Isolation Balun.

OLLIEOXEN27 Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2011 16:33 Send this review to a friend
allows full power  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the QRP version of this balun rated at 300 watts. Why they call it a qrp balun I have no idea plus it's thirty dollars cheaper than the 3kw version. It allows me to feed my homebrew end fed half waves at a full 100 watts without feedback. The only problem I had is with the balun in line the swr meter by the outside antenna tuner reads a false high swr while the radio's swr meter reads 1:1. Not sure why so. Makes tuneup more difficult. I emailed Bob at Balun designs and he couldn't figure it out either.

ON4WIY Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2011 08:38 Send this review to a friend
THAT's what a ham need!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have used several types from different companies but this is the one I need!
Solid,watherproof 100 %,well built.
Swr did not change like with other look a likes ....
It does where it's made for 1Kw-6Kw no problems.
Fair price for excellent products!!!

W0RIC Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2011 11:09 Send this review to a friend
Best Balun  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using this 1:1 Balun for over 6 months. I home brewed a 6 band fan dipole. The dipole is up about 50' in an inverted V configuration.

The antenna is able to handle HIGH POWER with no problems. The balun is coax fed and is an important part of the antenna farm. Thanks for another great product!

BTW, I am using 2 other Balun Designs products on my phased 63' Verticals from Zero-Five Antenna.

Rick
W0RIC
www.w0ric.com

N6WIN Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2011 22:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have five 3kw models and three 5kw models around my QTH. I use them for antenna feed point chokes and line isolation in the shack. I enjoy contesting and these get used for prolonged periods.

These work FB at keeping common mode current from coming down the coax into my shack, even at the legal limit. I do have near field coupling on control lines, but I suppress those with type 31 toroids from Fairite.

I had one fail on me for an unknown reason. Bob replaced it very quickly under his lifetime warranty. He is excellent with his customer service.

KC6JQT Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2011 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product, well designed and works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I run a fixed 10M vertical, LMR400, Amadon choke beads at feed point, a very good dual 8' rod ground bus 3' out the wall from radio desk and had two issues. First off was the local noise that would come and go. It was a constant warbling humm with some digital pulses in it from time to time. I believe it was a near by Plasma TV or other noisey switching supply radiating from a near by home. Secondly, even with the beads and a perfect 1:1 VSWR I had RF getting into the house with power above 200W. Clearly, my vetical was using the outer LMR400 shield as a radial. It would not effect the well designed/filtered TV's, radios, but would saturate the cheaper or poorer desiged electronics. I have a Nakamichi AMFM reciever in the radio room and with all leads disconnected except for the power cord, audio was heard clearly through the speakers when keyed up. The news is that with the #1113 installed at about 3' below the feed point both issues are resolved. The ham radio reciever is more quiet but without noticable RX sensitivity loss and the warbling humm can just barely be detected and is down 3db from its annoying past level. No that I need it but my operating bandwidth also increase at 1:1. I evaluated a bandwidth now of 1.2MHZ at 1:1 up from 800khz It's obvious that Balun Designs has the right mix of cores, wire, construction, and analyzers to insure what leaves the shop is functional and dialed in. The balun may seem pricey for some but I can attest I tried to build my own and never got mine to work to this level. I'll be back for another when I'm ready to set up my horizontal dipole. 73's

W2RKJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2011 07:27 Send this review to a friend
What happened to my noise level?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'll add my 2 megahertz into these reviews. I had what I thought was a pretty good balun up for about 7 or so years that I thought was performing well. The SWR looked real well on my analyzer on my 3 band inverted V dipole so who thought there may be a problem. I was however suffering from excessive noise lately on the 75/40/20 meters. I questioned other stations on their noise levels and it appeared I was hearing more trash. I did everything including had my power company come out and investigate and replaced some bad spots in the area. This helped but still my noise level was excessive. I'm talking about minimum levels of S8 to S9. When I switched to my vertical (out of band) the noise went away. I switched to another dipole again out of band but the same company balun noise again. Both baluns are about the same age but no way they both could be having the same problem. I did some research and learned of these baluns and checked their reviews here and decided to give them a try. On their website it states they are for noise reduction. I called Bob and sent him a photo of my homebrew inverted V. Initially on the phone we agreed I should be using a 1:4 balun, after seeing the picture, and because it was a fan dipole it should be a 1:1. I received my custom designed balun. As with all serious hams, it had snowed on the east coast and I put the balun up with about 3 feet of snow on the ground. As per instructions, I drilled the weep holes in the bottom, used 3M rubber tape to seal the PL 259 and the connectors on the sides where the wires are attached to my antenna. I came into the shack, the noise was GONE! My noise level on 20 meters (S4) vanished. 75 and 40 (S6) considerably reduced and unbelievably readable. I have since tuned all three bands for resonance and tune up is a dream. My station has NEVER heard this well --EVER. On the noise, my Ten Tec Jupiter can show a noise level on the meter but the radio is dead quiet. My S6 noise level on 75/40 meters is now very pleasant on the ears. To you folks who say you don't need a balun on a dipole I'm not so sure about that, you may need to re-think your theory. As soon as I get off of this computer I'm calling Bob to order a new balun for my other dipole I have cut for 11.175 MHz that is noisy on my Yaesu receiver. As stated by other reviewers his construction is top rate. Hands down worth every penny. GIVE THESE BALUNS A TRY.

W6IZT Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2010 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Quality Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have several center fed wire antennas that I feed with balanced line. I purchased one of Bob's 4:1 tuner baluns for use with a Nye Viking MB-V-A. The balun in the MB-V-A would not provide balanced current to the feedline. The Balun Designs balun works as expected with equal current applied to the transmission line. As others have stated the quaality ad workmanship is supurb.

WN9D Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2010 21:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Balun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bob offers the best components and workmanship.
The quality is first rate. I won’t shop anywhere else for my future balun needs.

If you're in the market for balun or choke related items, go with Balun Designs products. I'm using the 1:1 ATU Current Balun Model 1114x which has made a world of difference… no more stray RF in the shack. Tuning up my ladderline fed dipole is also much simpler.

Bob’s customer service is second to none. My order got mixed up, so I sent an email to Bob. The replacement arrived at my doorstep in a matter of a few days, all at his expense. I rate Balun Designs a solid 5 plus.

'73, Randall WN9D

NI7AA Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2010 14:44 Send this review to a friend
The best there is!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All I can say is WOW! What a great investment. The best components and workmanship are here. If you're in the market for balun/choke related items, do yourself a big favor and get a Balun Designs. You won't be dissapointed. I'm using the 1115ud and it has made a world of difference in RF and noise reduction.

SM0SUV Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2010 14:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Workmanship  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great performance with my 3-el Yagi. Before installation I opened the unit to discover excellent workmanship in wiring/assembly. Fast delivery to Sweden and good after sale support when I had some questions on best practice installation.

73 de Göran SM0SUV