Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | Balun Designs 4:1 balun Help

Reviews Summary for Balun Designs 4:1 balun
Balun Designs 4:1 balun Reviews: 39 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $54.95
Description: 2kw current balun based on Jerry Sevick's (W2FMI)proven design. Provides good matching for multiband and off center fed dipoles.
More info: http://www.balundesigns.com

You can write your own review of the Balun Designs 4:1 balun.

KB8YIJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2012 15:45 Send this review to a friend
The Best Out There  Time owned: more than 12 months
Won't waste words if you want the best balun made get one of these you wont have a problem.

VE7MTW Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2012 20:15 Send this review to a friend
Fine American craftsmanship  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the balun on my 600 ft horizontal loop, and I am extremely pleased with the performance of this balun on my loop antenna. The balun is of superb quality, the service was outstanding, and the delivery speed of the product, even to British Colombia (thru customs) was excellent.
Thanks guys. I shall be ordering again.

KB2EOQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2011 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Very well built  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I actually bought model number 4124, a 4:1 to use with an inverted V fed with ladder line. I read a lot of articles and was baffled about the 4:1 or other options. Contact via email with Balun Designs was quick and easy. I was asked questions about which rig and which tuner I planned on using. I did not know this was an important factor. The #4124 was thus recommended. I was impressed with the quality of the workmanship and my new antenna and balun are working very well.
Andy K3UK (ex KB2EOQ)

K8JHR Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2011 18:19 Send this review to a friend
Good Stuff  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this 4:1 balun on a 40-6 meter Off Center Fed (OCF) dipole with good results. The antenna tunes up just right, with under 1.2 SWR for both 40 and 20 meters, and exhibits low SWR on the higher bands, and while I think I could improve the higher bands by messing with the relative feed point or length of the two elements, I don't because it works so well on 40 and 20 meters. According to both my RibExpert and MFJ atnenna analyzers, this balun is working exactly as it should.

The manufacturer provides open and detailed communication before and after the sale, working with the buyer to make sure the balun sold is the right tool for the job. We discussed the entire layout, focusing on nearby objects and features unique to my installation that might detune the antenna after installation or call for a different design specification, assuring it is be the best design for my use.

I believe this balun is well made, and that I got my money's worth.

/////// James - K8JHR ///////

WA1SEO Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2011 18:28 Send this review to a friend
My second 4125T  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put up a second antenna and I needed another 4:1 balun. I didn't even shop since I had good luck with the one I purchased several years ago. I spoke with Bob about my requirements and I had one thought, and he had another. The best part about Balun Designs is that if you're unhappy, you can send it back. I went with my thought and it works as expected...GREAT!

Thanks

N4UED Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2011 05:24 Send this review to a friend
BOB KNOWS HIS BALUNS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I HAVE PURCHASED 4 OF BOBS 4-1 BALUNS THAT ARE MADE FOR BETTER PERFORMANCE ON 40-160M.

HE WILL TALK TO YOU AND EXPLAIN EVERYTHING ABOUT HIS PRODUCT.

I USE MINE FOR DOUBLE EXTENDED ZEPPS.

HE ALSO MAKES FANTASTIC COAX JUMPERS THAT ARE WELL MADE NOT QUICKLY MADE.

HIS BALUNS ARE WELL WORTH THE MONEY.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO NEED A BALUN FOR THE LONG HAUL BUY HIS.

THEIR IS NO NEED IN MAKING THE MISTAKES I DID AS A YOUNG HAM BACK IN 1988.

YOU CAN NOT FRY HIS BALUN.

BUT YOU CAN FRY AN EGG.

AN EGG IS WHAT I HAD FOR JUST A COUPLE OF MONTHS FROM ANOTHER BALUN DESIGNER.

THANKS,

CHUCK PRIDGEN, N4UED

N7ZM Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2010 21:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I needed a heavy duty balun to handle my Alpha power so I did my research, talked to Bob of Balun Designs and ordered a 4:1 5KW for my Loop feeding it with 450 ohm LL to balun and with 15 feet of 9913 coax into shack. If you need a good balun this is the place to go. The quality is high and worth paying a little more for. Would I buy another, " You betcha ".

W8CCY Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2010 11:59 Send this review to a friend
Need a Balun? - This is the place!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Ordered my third balun from Bob today. Using one on my Tennadyne T-8 log and one to feed my 80 meter doublet fed with 450 ohm window line. The new one will feed my 160 meter doublet.

I have done numerous a/b tests (swapping baluns of diff ratios and no balun) using an inferior commercial balun acquired before meeting Bob. Besides the obvious superb quality construction. They perform as well as they look.

The 160 meter doublet at 1.8 mhz, currently, (I am pruning it w/o an analyzer) has a 20 to 1 swr w/o a balun. Ie: using Bob's 4113t 4 to 1 balun swr is 4 to 1 at 1.8 mhz. My auto tuner (LDG 1000 Pro) easily handles the mismatch and everything else up through 10 meters.

With the other commercial balun the auto tuner is stresssed and struggles to find a usable match on 160 where the reactances seem highest and, also on some of the higher bands.

Bob is a person of integrity and fun to do business with. He will not steer you wrong. IMHO I think his products are some of the best values in amateur radio.

If you call "Cousin Bob" pse tell him "Cousin Larry" referred you. No, we are not related. Just a little joke and he will know you read this. hi!

Thanks, again, Bob for the great service and quality products, I can only equate with the good folks at Elecraft.

KI9A Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2009 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Great workmanship  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great balun. Professional workmanship. Used it in a couple of CW contests using 1KW, and worked FB, no heating, no problem.

K6TPJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2009 14:13 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was one of those Hams that thought "A Balun is a Balun". Well, I stand corrected. I have a doublet up about 125 feet fed with 450 ohm window line, which was used with one of those "other" Baluns. The antenna worked well, but there were a few oddities in the tuning, and in fact I couldn't get below a 3:1 swr in some spots.

I bought a Balun Designs 4:1. Tuning is smooth and predictable. Even more important, tuning is now repeatable. Bob was a pleasure to deal with and stands behind his product. The Balun itself is a thing of beauty.

I can't comment on the Balun's power handling capabilities since I've never run over 500 watts, and currently run QRP for the most part. However, judging by the quality of the design and build, I'm confident it can easily handle legal limit power.

A very nice product.