Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Alpha 4520 Digital HF Wattmeter Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha 4520 Digital HF Wattmeter
Alpha 4520 Digital HF Wattmeter Reviews: 9 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $795
Description: The Alpha Wattmeter represents a revolution in RF power measurement. State of the art integrated circuit technology and innovative design techniques have combined to deliver a mix of features, precision and convenience previously found only in a laboratory-grade power meter. Each meter is individually calibrated over a wide temperature range and the complete HF spectrum. During operation, the 4520 simultaneously measures the frequency of the signal and the internal temperature of the unit and compensates for those factors in determining measured power. This assures linearity in the accuracy of measured power under changing operating conditions. Internal calibration errors are also further reduced by use of proprietary sampling and differencing techniques.
The built-in analog meter displays forward or reverse power using nine full-scale ranges from 1W to 5kW. The digital display continuously displays either Forward or Delivered power. All data is available for computer logging through the serial data interface.
More info: http://www.alpharfsystems.com/

You can write your own review of the Alpha 4520 Digital HF Wattmeter.

KC0W Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2015 23:35 Send this review to a friend
Good Meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ah, yes. The proverbial eHam "5 Star" review.

Purchased this meter to use with an Alpha 77Sx. I had previously been using an LP-100A but it recently bit the dust in a poof of smoke. (literally)This Alpha is highly comparable to the LP-100A in terms of accuracy.....I was flabbergasted at the physical dimensions of this meter upon opening it's shipping box. This is a large meter. I won't comment on it's aesthetes because looks mean absolutely NOTHING as to how a SWR meter, radio, antenna or amplifier perform. I will let other Bozo's downgrade equipment reviews because their latest toy doesn't look "pretty" enough.

Bottom line.....Accurate meter for fellow QRO enthusiasts.

Tom KCW

W5ZZT Rating: 0/5 Apr 11, 2014 18:22 Send this review to a friend
Returned it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this used from a friend of mine. He had put it in storage because he didn't like the way it worked. He sent it to Alpha and it was returned "no trouble found"

I use a audio pecker to tune my amp. My inexpensive Palstar wattmeter works just fine but I wanted better accuracy. The 4520 needle jumped all over the place in either pep or normal mode. In fact, the analog meter jumped all over the place no matter how the meter was used. The digital side of the meter did work well in both normal and pep mode.

I also felt a meter like this should have a remote head.

If he had not sent it to Alpha I would probably have not written a review since I bought it used. I have had an Alpha amp before and was impressed. I expected the same from this meter. What a disappointment. I will now look for other options.

I was lucky I bought it from a local friend who gave me my money back.

KK5XE Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2013 16:07 Send this review to a friend
BIG meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received the 4520 along with my new 8410 amp during the Dayton special. Easy to read and doe's all calculations for you. Will do average and pep watts fast. Goof proof, great addition to my shack. If there is ever a problem the repair facility is wright here in USA.

WB9JOX Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2013 18:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellant   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellant watt meter in every respect.Finish great and functions as expected. Watt meter was well protected when shipped.Tnx again Alpha.

W4PIG Rating: 0/5 Sep 15, 2011 16:54 Send this review to a friend
POOR QULITY CONTROL  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i purchased a alpha 4520 from alpha at the huntsville hamfest. the first wattmeter got trashed by ups. the second one looked awful the paint was not good you could see brush strokes in it it was scratched up. the digital wattmeter would not hold in peak postition. it was jumping all over the scale. my mfj wattmeter looked better and worked better than this junk. howvever alpha did give me credit they done what was right. i expected better quality out of alpha. never again.73s

KI4KWS Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2011 07:52 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up this meter at the 2011 Dayton Hamvention. I had been reading up on it and to see it working in person I was truly impressed. The meter was a bit costly but from the build I figured it may be the last meter I will ever need. Not to mention I got a discount for buying an 8410 along with it. Got it home and it worked perfectly. Software also does what it says and I see an update is being developed. Auto scale is perfect so no worries of a needle slam by accident. If you have a chance to pick one of these meters up you will not be disappointed.

W5WDV Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2011 17:02 Send this review to a friend
Worth every penny  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you require a lab grade meter, this is the only one to get! Read about it and realize that if you add up all the $$$'s for run of the mill meters, you could have had the 4520. Really is worth the money. Buy one and you won't be writing reviews complaining that your less than meter is not accurate. In a class by itself!

N1JMS Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2009 19:03 Send this review to a friend
In a Class of its Own  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Simple, Solid and Accurate. Not cheap, but a worthwhile investment, the last watt meter that you'll ever need to purchase!

N6PSE Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2007 17:35 Send this review to a friend
A quality product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned my Alpha 4520 Wattmeter since I purchased it new at Dayton 2007. Alpha claims this is a laboratory-grade power meter and it certainly seems to be the case. This unit is extremely accurate and stable. In fact, what impressed me so much was at Dayton this unit ran continuously for three days at full legal limit without a glitch. I was so impressed, I bought the display unit and received a show discount from Alpha. During operation, the 4520 simultaneously measures the frequency of the signal and the internal temperature of the unit and compensates for those factors in determining measured power. Other wattmeters don't do that.
The built-in analog meter displays forward or reverse power using nine full-scale ranges from 1W to an amazing 5kW! (no Hams will need that) The digital display continuously displays either Forward or Delivered power. It is almost as if it is two wattmeters in one. All data is available for computer logging through the serial data interface using a straight through serial cable. Alpha provides Windows software.

This unit is solid and is built like a tank. It is impressive and yes it is expensive but the quality appears high and I believe that it is built to last. So far, I am very impressed.

Paul N6PSE