Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | AR-270 Dual Band Ringo 2m/70cm Help

Reviews Summary for AR-270 Dual Band Ringo 2m/70cm
AR-270 Dual Band Ringo 2m/70cm Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $95
Description: http://www.texastowers.com/ar270b.htm
More info: http://www.cushcraft.com/

You can write your own review of the AR-270 Dual Band Ringo 2m/70cm.

AI4WM Rating: 4/5 Aug 12, 2012 12:19 Send this review to a friend
Very good on VHF could be better across UHF band  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the AR-270 and not the AR-270B that is shown on the photo. The AR-270 is much shorter and more readily used as a portable for EMCOMM if needed.

Great little antenna. VSWR is flat across the VHF band at 1.2:1 or less while the UHF can be adjusted so it is flat nearest the most used part of the band. For me I set it so the lowest VSWR was mid-band with the VSWR tapering up towards the band ends. Best is about 1.3:1 to 1.5 and 1.7 at the ends. It is still a good performer for my use on UHF.

I originally bought this antenna for my jump kit. It is small enough that it can be transported fully assembled, but needed dual band at the house so this one ended up at the shack end of my house.

This antenna has been a solid performer since I installed it about 3 years ago. Construction is simple and solid.

No problem hitting all the local repeaters as well as others up and down the coast and even across the state.

N2MIG Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2010 13:13 Send this review to a friend
Best value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I will be brief. After 19 YEARS excellent service my AR 270 has finally failed. Its a great antenna and lasted through many a storm withhout any problem. I am purchasing a new one. I only hope it lasts as long. The reason for the failure...a tree struck the antenna when it came down in a wind atorm in March.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2010 12:27 Send this review to a friend
AR-270 *****  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this antenna for SIX years in the HOT sun and high WINDS here in Arizona and it still work's as well as the day it was installed, I have always got good reports on Symplex or when on a repeater, I have used it with 4 different radios and all have worked well, even the hand held ones................KB6HRT

N4DBM Rating: 4/5 Dec 8, 2008 05:30 Send this review to a friend
Fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
First, this is for the AR-270, not the 270(B) as what's pictured in the description! The AR-270 is about 3 feet tall and in all reality has 0 dB gain on VHF and about 3 dB gain on UHF. It's a simple dual band antenna, equivalent to something like a Larsen dual band mobile. Don't compare this thing with a Stationmaster or a Hustler G7 !! You're comparing apples and oranges again. This little antenna works fine for what it is. Stick it on top of your house and kerchunk your local repeaters with it.

N9PAR Rating: 0/5 Mar 22, 2007 07:12 Send this review to a friend
JUNK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the AR-270 on 03/09/07 from AES in Wisconsin here.I have a reapter 30 miles away that comes in s1 maybe if I'm lucky an s5.I couldn't get the swr down without winding the coax about ten times in a coil.I called AES and they said send it back to Cushcraft.Well they are sending me a new coil I hope that works.I'm pretty dam unhappy with this antenna.I spent my whole sunday messing with it and I only get 1 day off a week!Well this Sunday it's back up to replace the ant with my beam another sunday shot to hell.Save your money man is what I can say.PS I won't shop at AES anymore either they were less then helpful.

F1BZF Rating: 4/5 Feb 13, 2005 08:25 Send this review to a friend
Good product  Time owned: more than 12 months
10 years owned. No problem with. Vertical antenna performance. No surprise. But lets see material isolation at base. Worth the price.

N4CUZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2003 02:09 Send this review to a friend
I have three of them in service.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am referring to the Cushcraft AR-270, not the AR-270B. I just brought one of the three that I own down after nearly ten (10) years of very nice service for any antenna, let alone an antenna this short. I brought it down to replace the 9913 coax, which, although the antenna still had a 1.1 to 1 SWR, I began to worry about moisture intrusion in the coax.

I have set this antenna on a tripod inside of my ham shack, and now use it for packet communications.

I also have a Workman 5/8ths wave antenna that outperforms the AR-270 by about 2 dB. Cushcraft antennas have become a bit pricey since I bought mine in 1993, but I have no complaints at all.

I especially recommend the AR-270 for apartment dwellers and other folks who need a smaller antenna, and for campers. It really kicks for it's size!

KG4OUX Rating: 3/5 Jun 27, 2003 14:59 Send this review to a friend
good antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is a good antenna for a dualband handheld I have also heard when I get wet the SWR goes up I have checked it and it does good for camping use

KE4SKY Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2002 15:03 Send this review to a friend
AR-270 is the small one  Time owned: more than 12 months
There are two variations of this antenna. The AR-270 is a 39" high, compact antenna which is a full sized 5/8 wave on 2 meters and a collinear 5/8x5/8 vertical stack on UHF. A number of our RACES members use these for easily transported, portable base antennas, which fit in a vehicle trunk assembled. They are also great for attic installations.

The larger AR-270B is a 7 ft. high, 5/8x5/8 stacked collinear on 2 meters and 4x5/8 on UHF. I've had one of these as a base antenna for 7 years and it's held up very well.

Both are a good bang for the buck.

KB8QKW Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2002 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Solid Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna all over the place in the 7 years I have owned it. I bought it for home base operation, which it did, and does great. I have also used it for 2m home packet, as a 2m packet node antenna on 40ft. of mast at a tower site, as a temporary Field Day setup, in my attic as a base, and now it is mounted on my eve being used solely as a 2 meter base. This has been one of the best investments I have made in Ham equipment. It's a solid, no nonsense, stand up to the weather, antenna.