Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | CW Decoder Help

Reviews Summary for CW Decoder
Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $Freeware
Description: The CW Decoder from WD6CNF is really very amazing. Also has several other useful apps on his site
More info: http://www.hotamateurprograms.com/downloads.htm

You can write your own review of the CW Decoder.

W2EJG Rating: 2/5 Jun 26, 2014 07:04 Send this review to a friend
Can't open download  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Download link doesn't work. Have tried to download from different sires. No joy. Looks like a fun program if you can get it up and running

KA4PNV Rating: 3/5 Aug 20, 2013 06:06 Send this review to a friend
A little off Beat  Time owned: more than 12 months
I found this program to work as it should
receive text ok tx worked,but was like someone
sending with a bad fist.The CW rhythm was like
a off beat drummer.Not smooth and ear pleasing.
Im a musician,and this program is a little off beat.
CW Type is a example of what CW should sound like
smooooooooth that's my opinion Thanks KA4PNV
ka4pnv.com

W7BIG Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2013 10:46 Send this review to a friend
SignaLink USB and IC-7000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love equipment that just works as desired. Easy instructions to wire this thing up for my ICOM 7000 and works like a charm. I'm using mostly FLDIGI and have used CW, MT-63 modes so far. I'm new to digital so am still figuring out setup for RTTY. Probably easier than I think, BTW.

Just follow the instructions for set up and especially assigning(or not) the SignaLink card properly in your computer and digital software.

Like the small footprint and clean controls as well. Like it a lot.

W5LRU Rating: 4/5 Feb 8, 2013 12:34 Send this review to a friend
CW Decoder w/SignaLink USB  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good for RX with SignaLink USB but no option to use for TX. Better choice is to use Hamscope which works for both TX RX using SignaLink USB.

VK4WTN Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2012 01:54 Send this review to a friend
Wow  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only installed this program today and am amazed at how well it works.I am only using it to receive but it works well beyond my expectations.I am running it from my TS590 and it worked straight away no set up procedures needed.It is simple to use and had it going straight away.So if you wanta good CW decoder that is free and works this is for you
Wayne VK4WTN

KG0EW Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2012 21:23 Send this review to a friend
Impressive!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Using via USB connection to TS-590S and works perfectly (on receive). I am amazed at how well it decodes CW - even weak signals on a noisy band. This is an excellent program!

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2011 12:54 Send this review to a friend
yes, the default soundcard!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, the program decodes very very well. Probably better than most. You can use internal or external soundcard, but the default soundcard MUST be the one that you use. You select the default soundcard via the Windows Control Panel. I found no other way. That is the inconvenience. Other programs, such as Cwget allow you to use a non default soundcard within the program. CWdecoder instead, as far as I know, uses only the default soundcard and if you want to use another soundcard you have to change the default soundcard within the Windows control panel. That is annoying and, because of that, too often I use other programs. More, I would say that in transmit I prefer Cwtype as ptt in CWdecoder acts so fast that between words my radio goes in RX, maybe this is due to my particular setting.

STAYVERTICAL Rating: 3/5 Jan 5, 2011 00:02 Send this review to a friend
Duped again!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This software is very frustrating.
But only because it is so good at decoding CW in noisy conditions and with poor CW fists.
Unfortunately, I still cannot get it to take its input from a USB Signalink (or any other external sound card).
In previous posts, I thought I had managed to do this, but it was because the signalink, on installation, had made itself the default soundcard.
When being used in the correct manner, as an additional soundcard, I have not been able to find any option in CWdecoder to change the soundcard.
So, reluctantly, I have to say this software is dead in the water for me, and I would imagine, for any other USB signalink or similar user.
I can't complain as this software is provided free, and it is kind of the author to provide hams with the fruits of his labor.
But I can not recommend it to any user of an external soundcard, which is becoming increasingly common for digimodes users.
This program would be running hot on my PC if it were not for this limitation, so I would have to say it is all but useless for users like myself.
Again, not a criticism, just not a recommendation for users with external soundcards.
If anyone can correct my evaluation with an option in this program which I may have missed, I would be very happy indeed.
Please don't just write, it works for me - that is not information.

73s old friend CWdecoder, you seem to have reached an upgrade too far.

STAYVERTICAL Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2010 16:23 Send this review to a friend
I eat humble pie  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having previously posted a review indicating cwdecoder does not work with external soundcards, I have subsequently found that this is not true.
So - having tested it once again, I am happy to report, it does indeed support my signalink.
So welcome back to my computer screen old friend.
Anyone wishing to copy CW with a computer would have a hard time finding a better program at any price.
Humble pie actually tastes very nice.

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2010 08:03 Send this review to a friend
599  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great program! Receives very well. Ergonomics might be a little bit better. CW type I think is easier for TX. I use internal and external sound card and works flawlessly. Deserves a 5.