Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | CW Decoder Help

Reviews Summary for CW Decoder
Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $Freeware
Description: The CW Decoder from WD6CNF is really very amazing. Also has several other useful apps on his site
More info: http://www.hotamateurprograms.com/downloads.htm

You can write your own review of the CW Decoder.

KG0EW Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2012 21:23 Send this review to a friend
Impressive!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Using via USB connection to TS-590S and works perfectly (on receive). I am amazed at how well it decodes CW - even weak signals on a noisy band. This is an excellent program!

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2011 12:54 Send this review to a friend
yes, the default soundcard!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, the program decodes very very well. Probably better than most. You can use internal or external soundcard, but the default soundcard MUST be the one that you use. You select the default soundcard via the Windows Control Panel. I found no other way. That is the inconvenience. Other programs, such as Cwget allow you to use a non default soundcard within the program. CWdecoder instead, as far as I know, uses only the default soundcard and if you want to use another soundcard you have to change the default soundcard within the Windows control panel. That is annoying and, because of that, too often I use other programs. More, I would say that in transmit I prefer Cwtype as ptt in CWdecoder acts so fast that between words my radio goes in RX, maybe this is due to my particular setting.

STAYVERTICAL Rating: 3/5 Jan 5, 2011 00:02 Send this review to a friend
Duped again!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This software is very frustrating.
But only because it is so good at decoding CW in noisy conditions and with poor CW fists.
Unfortunately, I still cannot get it to take its input from a USB Signalink (or any other external sound card).
In previous posts, I thought I had managed to do this, but it was because the signalink, on installation, had made itself the default soundcard.
When being used in the correct manner, as an additional soundcard, I have not been able to find any option in CWdecoder to change the soundcard.
So, reluctantly, I have to say this software is dead in the water for me, and I would imagine, for any other USB signalink or similar user.
I can't complain as this software is provided free, and it is kind of the author to provide hams with the fruits of his labor.
But I can not recommend it to any user of an external soundcard, which is becoming increasingly common for digimodes users.
This program would be running hot on my PC if it were not for this limitation, so I would have to say it is all but useless for users like myself.
Again, not a criticism, just not a recommendation for users with external soundcards.
If anyone can correct my evaluation with an option in this program which I may have missed, I would be very happy indeed.
Please don't just write, it works for me - that is not information.

73s old friend CWdecoder, you seem to have reached an upgrade too far.

STAYVERTICAL Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2010 16:23 Send this review to a friend
I eat humble pie  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having previously posted a review indicating cwdecoder does not work with external soundcards, I have subsequently found that this is not true.
So - having tested it once again, I am happy to report, it does indeed support my signalink.
So welcome back to my computer screen old friend.
Anyone wishing to copy CW with a computer would have a hard time finding a better program at any price.
Humble pie actually tastes very nice.

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2010 08:03 Send this review to a friend
599  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great program! Receives very well. Ergonomics might be a little bit better. CW type I think is easier for TX. I use internal and external sound card and works flawlessly. Deserves a 5.

KA3DNR Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2009 14:05 Send this review to a friend
Best Decoder Out there...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Yours is the best decoder out there, as far as I can tell. I have run yours, CWGet and MPR40v61 side-by-side, and yours is the best. Plus it's free!

KA3DNR

KC9GUZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2007 08:33 Send this review to a friend
Great!!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A great CW decode program as long as you only use it for RX CW. I tried it to send using my Icom 746 and the characters sounded HORRIBLE! But as a RX only program it is awesome! It and another CW RX and TX program(CW get and type) have helped me to get to my goal of sending and receiving at 20 WPM or higher so i can get into some CW contests, and we all know most of those guys like to be around 20 to 35 WPM!!!

K4FX Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2007 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While looking for a voice keyer the other day, I ran across this page of great programs relating to ham radio, being a CW op for almost 30 years the CW decoder caught my attention and I just had to check it out. To my surprise it copied 40 wpm at 95% correct on a very noisy band. As many of the no-coders are going to find out, when they start chasing DX seriously, they will see they are at a huge disadvantage in that many countries are only available on CW, this would give them a chance to actually work some CW. Who knows maybe with this it could actually get some people interested enough to learn it,

It may also be useful as a backup to those of us who can copy code, as you all know the XYL calls, or the phone rings in the middle of CW QSO's all the time. For those of us who can't copy CW, eat a ham sandwich and carry on 3 conversations at the same time, this could be a useful tool for backup.

Try it, also check out his 12 memory voice keyer, really good stuff.