Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Palstar AT1KP Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar AT1KP
Palstar AT1KP Reviews: 46 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $429.00
Description: The AT1KP features differential capacitor tuning with 2 stators and 1 rotor.
For ease of use the AT1K series utilize only 2 controls to operate for tuning
with a precision ceramic body roller inductor and high power balun. NEW!
Peak and Peak Hold dual cross-needle metering ($149.95 value found in our
popular PM2000A wattmeter). As on all Palstar tuners the front panel and top
cover are powdercoated.

Specifications:
-Power rating 1200 watts pep
-160m to 20m(1200+/-j1200), 10m to 15m (1000+/-j1000)
-Output to both balanced and unbalanced lines
-Impedance matching range 20 ohms to 1200 ohms
-Easy and quick tuning with only two controls
-6 position mode switch for multiple antennas
-Crossneedle metering with backlighting (wall transformer supplied)
-Meter power range 0-300 watts / 0-3000 watts
-Differential capacitor tuning with 2 stators and 1 rotor (430pf - 19pf -
430pf@3.5kv)
-Palstar designed ceramic body roller inductor
-High power ferrite 4:1 balun
-Crossneedle metering with backlighting (wall transformer supplied)
-Powdercoated front panel and top cover
-Dimensions: 10 1/2" wide x 4 1/2" high x 11"deep
Weight: 8 lbs
More info: http://www.palstar.com/at1kp.php

You can write your own review of the Palstar AT1KP.

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2016 14:16 Send this review to a friend
5++ older model, they don't build-em like this anymore  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've just acquired this item, used>>>March, 2016.
Seems to be an older model: has a current balun (built-in), a relay (built-in) for when I want to go to 160m and it's rated up-to 1200 watts.
Use it on my many dipoles and OCF antennas, BUT I never go above 100 watts. Can tune the SWR down to 1.1:1 level

G8ITB Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2015 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Works Well.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a used Palstar AT1KP some while back, it's used with a 110 ft dipole and 96 ft of 300 ohm ladder line to a 4:1 balun outside my 1st floor (2nd floor if in the USA) shack, antenna is about 30 ft agl in a suburban situation. I do not use 160 metres and run at 100 watts. I use an bridge to allow me to tune without carrier. I frequently check the system with a Rig Expert antenna analyser for settings, etc.

The tuner works very well and is able to tune my dipole, both dry and wet, with repeatable tuning positions for all bands. The settings do vary but not by very much and appear to be stable. Strangely I do believe that the roller coaster is too small in value and is virtually end-stop in the 28 MHz region, switching in the 160M circuit gives enough extra inductance to allow more flexibility on 10 metres.

I have used it /A with a 'modded' G5RV - 300 ohm all the way to the ATU balanced terminals - no co-ax - and found it excellent!

I notice the new AT2KD has no 160M extra and can only hope that the roller coaster has greater inductance - and I also see that the internal balun is now an external accessory for extra payment.

The only problem I've seen occur on more than one model of Palstar ATU is that the multi-mode rotary switch is not lug secured - so if the front nut loosens the whole assembly rotates and pulls the wires off the front wafer! Come on Palstar, this is an expensive item - learn how to mount a wafer switch properly!

Bar the above in-built issue I can recommend the AT1KP - the AT2KD is probably as good - I hope so!
Richard G8ITB

N9LTW Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2015 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very well built tuner. I've had mine over 5 years now and it works great for me. Best antenna tuner I have ever used.

VA2DV Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2014 14:26 Send this review to a friend
Piece of art !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was somehow missing twisting knobs so I got back to a manual tuner.I almost hit the buy button on a brand new AT-500 but a nice AT1KP showed up on the ads. I am impressed with the overall construction quality. Nothing wrong with this one. Smooth no-wobble controls. The main real difference with every other model I have owned is the repeatability.
The dial and turn-counter are both precise and stable. I was also able to load my shorty 80m dipole on 160m. Not a very effective antenna but at least it could take some power. An impossible thing with my previous tuners. Now I need to change that lousy burned meter bulb with some led.

W5GW Rating: 2/5 Jun 20, 2011 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Tuner Okay - Metering Circuit an Issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like the components in the tuner and as a basic tuner it performs well. The accuracy of the power meter has always been less that what I would expect from a product in this price range (greater than 20% error when compared to my Bird 43).

Recently it developed an issue with the Peak-Hold circuit in which it would not release a reading after 2 seconds. Because the item is out of warranty, I began looking for a circuit diagram of the Peak-Hold circuit. It does not exist.

In attempting to discuss this with Paul at Palstar, I was treated abruptly and rudely. He didn't even give me a chance to ask what the estimate for repairs would be.

I've since traced this to a defective MOSFET (2N7000) in the Peak-Hold circuit.

While I have two Palstar antenna tuners, it is unlikely I'll purchase another. The lack of a circuit diagram and identification of component parts does a disservice to the amateur community.

WI0H Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2010 08:07 Send this review to a friend
What a great piece of gear  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this tuner for going on three years now to tune up a G5RV Jr. and a random wire 80m antenna and it just works. Palstar is to be commended for showing what 'Made in the USA' is supposed to stand for. From the powder coated finish to the guts inside this beast, the build quality is simply outstanding.

I couldn't recommend this unit any higher. 5+ stars.

N0AZZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2010 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
Controls smooth as silk and works very well I only use it on 160m for 2 wire antennas and a vertical all other bands 440-40m are beams. Run 1k most of the time I am a DXer.

N8SDR Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2010 06:18 Send this review to a friend
Rock Soild  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having had issues with another brand, I looked at a few other manufactures and kept coming back to this, I'm extremly glad I did it is ROCK SOLID...

I made up a excel file with frequencies and the setting used on the AT1KP and can quickly good back to those setting every time and be tuned!! The controls are smooth and percise.

The unit is built very well and has some weight so it doesnt move around the shack. It comes with a power adapter, cleaning kit and extra screws should you happen to misplace them while cleaning the unit.

There are other tuners in the price range that this unit retails for, but your not going to get anthing built with quality or reliablity like you do with a product from Palstar.

K8MCN Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2010 12:23 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I absolutely love this tuner--spend the little extra and you will not regret it!! This thing is built like and tank and i think it would tune one too!
My only request would be to light the turns counter--a lot of us hams getting a little older and a light behind it would help--also a lit button for the 160/80-6 button would be a great feature to indicate on/off

KI6NIC Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2010 14:24 Send this review to a friend
Very well built  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this unit to work with my Ameritron 811H. I run a 204ft G5RV, a 90ft G5RV and a beam with this tuner on 6M thru 160M. It's performance...flawless, no regrets here at all.