Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Palstar AT1KP Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar AT1KP
Palstar AT1KP Reviews: 46 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $429.00
Description: The AT1KP features differential capacitor tuning with 2 stators and 1 rotor.
For ease of use the AT1K series utilize only 2 controls to operate for tuning
with a precision ceramic body roller inductor and high power balun. NEW!
Peak and Peak Hold dual cross-needle metering ($149.95 value found in our
popular PM2000A wattmeter). As on all Palstar tuners the front panel and top
cover are powdercoated.

Specifications:
-Power rating 1200 watts pep
-160m to 20m(1200+/-j1200), 10m to 15m (1000+/-j1000)
-Output to both balanced and unbalanced lines
-Impedance matching range 20 ohms to 1200 ohms
-Easy and quick tuning with only two controls
-6 position mode switch for multiple antennas
-Crossneedle metering with backlighting (wall transformer supplied)
-Meter power range 0-300 watts / 0-3000 watts
-Differential capacitor tuning with 2 stators and 1 rotor (430pf - 19pf -
430pf@3.5kv)
-Palstar designed ceramic body roller inductor
-High power ferrite 4:1 balun
-Crossneedle metering with backlighting (wall transformer supplied)
-Powdercoated front panel and top cover
-Dimensions: 10 1/2" wide x 4 1/2" high x 11"deep
Weight: 8 lbs
More info: http://www.palstar.com/at1kp.php

You can write your own review of the Palstar AT1KP.

N9PUZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2009 19:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this higher power tuner to use in conjunction with my AL-811H amplifier. I have been very pleased so far. The unit works flawlessly and in my opinion Palstar's reputation for quality is well deserved.

Two features I would like to see added: 1) The ability to mechanically lock out unused antenna positions, and 2) a third, lower power range on the metering. Neither of these are shortcomings, just opportunities to make a great product better.

KD0IDQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2009 05:32 Send this review to a friend
By far the best tuner I have ever used.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I struggled with two previous tuners from another manufacturer. Those tuners had trouble tuning my inverted-vee on 160-m and 80-m. This tuner is rock solid every time. The controls are smooth and precise. I can return to a frequency and tuner setting that I recorded and find that it is perfectly in tune without any further adjustments. This tuner makes my antenna better, and it makes my transceiver better. It has become my favorite piece of equipment in the shack. Well done Palstar. I am reminded of the saying "I am too poor to buy cheap". This is the last tuner you will ever need up to 1 KW.

AH6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2009 18:22 Send this review to a friend
Agile  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Outstanding quality, finish and performance. But the most welcome feature is precision; time and again I can repeat a tune to resonance simply by dialing in the recorded values e.g. if it took 40 and 185 the first time to tune antenna number one to resonance it will do it again and again. This is really a help when you switch antennas or bands and cannot re-tune using a carrier.

N5EKC Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2009 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Over the 30 plus years I've been a ham I've used everything from homebrew matchboxes to factory built automatic tuners. This is one of the best products that I've had the opportunity to operate. The quality of the product is very good. The performance is excellent. the controls are smooth to operate. I've tried this tuner with vertical and wire antennas with good results and it seems to have very low losses from the signals I'm hearing and the reports I get.

N3JBH Rating: 2/5 Apr 8, 2009 11:16 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner JUNK Balun  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok maybe kund of harsh i know but the balun in these tuners is junk,,, And Paul (the Owner) is not willing to stand behind them. I really liked the tuner and still do. But it is a shame that they wont use a decent balun. Hey Paul try a 1:1 current balun wound on 3 mix 61 cores. Heck i will make them for you if you cant.

PHILIP_EX_KC7FWB Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2009 18:12 Send this review to a friend
As advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using this ATU with my 80, 40, 20, 10m fan dipole for about 2 weeks now.

It performs exactly as advertised, easy to use and matches very well, even on bands that the dipoles are not cut for (except 160m, but I never expected that to work anyway).

What could be better? Well I did have some problems trying to tune, and after a few minutes head scratching found that the 160m push button was pushed it. It might be nice to have a small indicator (LED) to indicate when this is selected.

The turns counter could usefully be illuminated. Its not easy to see in a dark shack.

Both of the above points are, of course, nit-picking. As far as functionality and construction goes I am more than happy.

PG00023016 Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2009 16:04 Send this review to a friend
It will outlast me!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Every aspect of this tuner I like----except the color of the tuner and meter. I'd like to have it in black with a white meter. O.K. That's not a fair complaint....and It's built like a tank. I'm still happy with this baby and would reccomend it to my best friends!

W4KKX Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2009 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellect piece of equipment!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This tuner is extremely well built...the finest quality...smooth roller with excellent meters. This is an excellent and accurate tuner. While experimenting with this tuner it has exceeded the abilities of past tuners that I have owned. The Peak-Hold feature is great too. Very pleased with this addition to my rig!

N5VU Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2008 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Not a piece of crap, hard to use, poor design, loose parts, poor craftsmanship. Not inaccurate or poorly built.

I have had other tuners. Some good, some not so good. This unit is built to last. Heavy duty metal cabinet, nice illuminated cross needle meter, 300 and 3000 watt range, peak & peak hold. Smooth roller inductor that is a "Real" roller inductor. I.e., The wheel is on the outside.

Wheel on the outside: This is very important when tuning. The constant even pressure of the little roller wheel along the "whole" length of the inductor makes for easy and accurate tuning.

The only way I'd get rid of it would be in exchange for a bigger Palstar. If the need ever arises.

I use mine with inverted Vees on 75 meters. Running an Ameritron AL-80B, Heathkit HL-2200 and a 1963 Henry 2KD. Never spits at all.

73, Marcel N5VU

K2ID Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2008 20:36 Send this review to a friend
Best  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use a random wire and this baby tunes it down to 1:1 on all bands. Not much more difficult than an auto tuner. Usually just tune to center of band and just touch up a little if necessary.

The Meters themselves are worth praise. Hard to find a tuner with a peak reading meter much lest a peak hold.

I also find their customer service supurb. They answer all of my emailed questions, even the stupid ones. :)