Reviews Categories | Batteries & Chargers for amateur radios. | Optima Yellow Top Help

Reviews Summary for Optima Yellow Top
Optima Yellow Top Reviews: 16 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $varies
Description: Heavy-Duty, Deep-Cycle Sealed Batteries
More info: http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/yellowtop/index.php

You can write your own review of the Optima Yellow Top.

AD5TD Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2007 14:31 Send this review to a friend
Rock Solid!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ran a "Yellow Top" in my Exploder for 3 years using full HF and VHF/UHF gear, Driving and Fog lamps that pulled 40 amps when everything was on, a big sound system that pulled about 35 amps at full volume and I NEVER had a problem. When I got rid of the Exploder, I put the battery in an electric pallet jack and it's still running 2 years later! There is no harder use than this.

K6TTE Rating: 0/5 Oct 22, 2007 13:48 Send this review to a friend
22 Months and DEAD  Time owned: more than 12 months
A very expensive battery that was never abused, never run down... It suffered an internal failure after only 22 months and failed without warning. I will never purchase another Optima battery.

KF6IIU Rating: 1/5 Oct 22, 2007 11:56 Send this review to a friend
Overrated and overpriced  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a Yellow Top D51R for my Honda CR-V in Aug 2005. After only two years, it is marginal. The battery has actually not been used too hard - I have maybe put in 1/2 hour of HF transmitting time without the engine running in these 2 years, and it has only been run down all the way past 11 to 11.5V three times, counting the two times it has failed to start the car in the past few weeks.

This is a fairly small battery, but the 2 years life does not warrant the preposterously high price and one year warranty.

AF6CA Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2007 20:37 Send this review to a friend
Still Working  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a D51 Yellow top 2 years ago. Still works like it's new. The D51 is the smallest and lightest of the yellow tops.

Easy to move around with the built in handle. No worry of spilling. Charge on the living room carpet without issue.

Easily runs 100W HF radio for over 24 hours. A small solar panel will extend the operating time.

WA7NCL Rating: 4/5 Jun 29, 2007 13:53 Send this review to a friend
Got one too!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Seems to work well with automotive type charger. I use it to run my HF radios. I bought one that fits my Honda CRV. If my CRV battery fails, I can just put this one in to replace it as a spare. It somewhat justifies the high price.

I highly recommend the sealed AGM type batteries for emergency power use. I used to use wet cell marine batteries, but always worried about battery acid spills in the house. Also wet cells give off hydrogen gas and possibly battery acid fumes when charging.

Sealed type are much better.

WN9E Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2007 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've got two of the D31s--a D31T for my shack which I keep charged with a Battery Tender Plus charger, and a D31A for my truck for two mobile rigs. At over $200 they are a bit on the pricey side, but the piece of mind is worth it. I just ran the D31T for field day and it did a great job for me. I'll also never worry again about running my truck battery down. Even if I do run it all the way down, it won't hurt the battery.