Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | TAK-tenna Help

Reviews Summary for TAK-tenna
TAK-tenna Reviews: 133 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $168 USD
Description: High-frequency antenna for 3 to 30 MHz., inclusive

TAK-tenna is Unique and has been awarded U.S. Patent.

Radiating elements use proprietary copper jacketed alloy

Rotatable - Portable - Stealth - Primary & Restricted Space

Very easy to assemble

Sturdy and well built with low wind load Weighs only 5 pounds Very small footprint >p>TAK-tenna 80 Multibander has a 48 inch boom All other models have a 30 inch boom.

Direct feed with 50 or 75 ohm coax on resonant band User chooses resonant frequency Use coax + antenna tuner...or twin lead + antenna tuner for off resonance operation

Power tested to 1000 CW watts at resonance Key down for 30 seconds and 1400 Watts PEP no heat sensed on antenna wire or coax feed point when touched by hand after power testing

High efficiency = NO lossy matching components anyplace in system Directivity = 10 to 14 dB signal increase in transmit with 90 degree rotation with horizontal orientation Vertical orientation provides omni-directional pattern

Shipping world wide

More info: http://www.tak-tenna.com/

You can write your own review of the TAK-tenna.

N5ATZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2014 18:05 Send this review to a friend
TAK-Tenna is great on small lots!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using TAK-tennas for over two years. I have owned four of them. I have read many reviews stating that they do not work. If you can read and follow directions, they can work very well.

I am currently running the 80-meter version mounted at about 15 feet. It takes up a very small footprint.

Since I have been using TAK-tennas, I have made numerous DX contacts, including stations in Croatia, Finland, Cuba, Costa Rica, Mexico, Japan, and other countries in Europe and South and Central America. I have also made many US and Canada contacts as well. I ran the 40-meter version for over a year and I was quite satisfied with it. However, my personal experience suggests that the 80-meter antenna works better on 40 meters than does the 40-meter version. Both versions work very well on 20, 17, 15, and 10 meters. An antenna tuner is required to use any of them on bands other that which they were originally designed.

My rig is an ICOM IC-7200 working in conjunction with an LDG IT-100 Autotuner. I normally run the ICOM at about 90 watts.

One must absolutely follow the assembly instructions to the letter to get these antennas working properly. It is not that difficult. Additionally, they must be resonated as described in the instructions. I initially tried to accomplish this by using the SWR meter on my transceiver. That got me sort of in the ball park, but when I used an antenna analyzer to resonate it, that process went much better. I would never again try to resonate one without an analyzer. The process takes some time, it is an iterative process, but just be patient and it will all come together.

Steve, the proprietor of the tak-tenna company, is a very helpful individual. I have talked with him on the phone and exchanged numerous emails with him since I have been using these antennas. He will get back to you very quickly and is a very knowledgeable ham and engineer. When I ordered my last antenna from him, he was in the process of moving to another state. He dropped what he was doing and shipped my antenna the day I ordered it. Talk about service!

One more thing, if your TAK-tenna becomes damaged (as in a Texas wind storm), you can go down to the local hardware store and find materiel to fix it.

I have a very small lot, and this antenna has performed very nicely for me, tucked in it's small corner of the back yard.

N2TNQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2014 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Tak-tenna 80 Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
An easy antenna to put together. Have been using it in the vertical position for over two years. No problem talking to Europe or South America with 100 watts. Has also worked well with a max of 500 watts to South Africa.

S52CC Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2013 13:37 Send this review to a friend
DXCC 200 in 5 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
On October 29 2013, I worked Robert, 3B9FR on 12 m band CW and this was my 200th DXCC entity worked with TAK-tenna 40 multiband antenna 183 of them being already confirmed. Well worth a small celebration I guess.

In the past five years that I have this TAK-tenna, I have logged 4373 QSOs on all bands between 40 and 10 m bands, some even on 80 m. The resonated antenna is 50 Ohm direct-fed and vertically oriented.

Protruding from a 3rd story balcony of my previous apartment the antenna was “blocked” by the building on the north-west. Between the building and the paved street some 11 m below there was a narrow stripe of grass.

My present balcony (3rd story again) is inside a 5 story U-shaped construction visually open only to the south. About 8 m below the antenna is the concrete roof of a supermarket. Even with these restrictions I worked over 90 DXCC entities in all parts of the world in less then a year. Just like before my equipment is the Yaesu FT-450 with maximum 100 W output.

I am sure that no other antenna would have ever brought me more pleasure than those two little spirals, and just as TAK-tenna states it has “brought excitement to my QSOs”.

Vince, S52CC

N3HBV Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2013 05:41 Send this review to a friend
TAK-tennas are working like a champ!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed the 20m and 40m-multiband TAK-tennas three months ago and have been very pleased with their performance. I have them at 20 feet, horizontal polarity, and am using a simple TV rotor for azimuth. They were straight forward to both assemble and resonate with an SWR analyzer, and the MFJ-969 tuner has no problem adjusting for optimum SWR when changing bands. The TAK-tennas are outperforming my G5RV jr. and have definitely added a very positive dimension to my DX capabilities.

VK1IRC Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2013 01:50 Send this review to a friend
TAK-tenna 80 - Great HF antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok.. Point 1. TAK Antenna is a VERY effective antenna..
After achieving resonance at GROUND level, I have had a HAM friend help me with putting the TAK up on a telescopic mast (and soldering taps to final position) that has been put in at QTH.. With ground Earth. I have to say that resonance with this antenna did take some time but an Antenna analyser did pull this antenna in for me easily... at the end. Father & son assistance did speed it up. Since then... GERAT performance...
Taps soldered into final position (very important). Well.... I have to say that after ONE (1) day of the Tak being up and plugged into the rig, I have achieved a contact to VE7AV (in log on QRZ.com page), British Columbia Canada which I have to say is a BIG BIG achievement from VK1 land (on 100W.. Kenwood TS 2000). Also... all around VK 3, VK 4... 5, 7 etc... getting Great reports from the TAK. Various SOTA contacts as well and ZL 4/2 New Zealand calling ME.. on a DX net. This is an Awesome antenna. Highly recommended...Very well designed. PSK receive great as well, Multibander does the job extremely well with tuner in rig.
Every station that I contacted (without) the Tak previously has said that my signal is MUCH better than ever on the TAK TENNA.
So.... Knowledge sharing from Steve is a big factor. Steve has extensive knowledge to assist you with getting this antenna up and on the air from your QTH. He will work wih you 100%.... post sale as well.
TAK really is a very unique antenna that works...
Very Happy.
VK1IRC. Canberra. Australia.

K6BHB Rating: 0/5 Feb 3, 2013 15:38 Send this review to a friend
expensive DIY solution for an antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm glad to see that other people have had luck with this antenna; I've had absolutely awful luck with it.

This thing is advertised as an antenna kit -- I'd call it more like "kit to build an antenna". You get some antenna wire, a few pages of mediocre instructions, and maybe $15 of parts from the hardware store (plastic pipe, zip-ties, mounting hardware).

The "build and tune it yourself" instructions mean that if you have good results with the antenna, you can post a nice review here -- or if you have bad results, you can blame yourself for not assembling or tuning it correctly. I don't have any experience with other antennas, so I'm going to say that this makes a very poor first antenna. You might as well build one yourself -- you have the same odds of success, and your wallet will be happier.

With regards to the patent -- Patent #3432858 from 1969 describes something mighty similar to this antenna, so I'm not sure what value Tak-tenna can add to it.

KB1HYL Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2013 07:44 Send this review to a friend
I'm very happy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
All I can say is that I'm very happy with my multiband 40 TAK-tenna. Like many reviewers, I live in an apartment. I'm lucky I'm on the top (3rd) floor and able to mount my antennas on my balcony. The height above ground is about 35-40 feet.
It was quite easy to assemble following the instructions. I had a little trouble resonating but that was because I was also just learning how to use my antenna analyzer as well as learning how to resonate. It still only took me about 2 1/2 or 3 hours from opening the box to using the antenna.
My very first HF contact (Both on this antenna and as a General licensed HAM) was located in Bosnia-Herzegovina. I figure that's not too bad from southern New Hampshire, USA on 100W.
I'm starting to get interested in 75/80 Meters now and my first choice for an antenna is the TAK-tenna 80 Multibander.

N5PU Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2013 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Bought in 2007! Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My XYL bought me this antenna in 2007, it was great then and has been ever since. This is my 2nd review. I have been using this antenna at about 15 ft. It performs very well! I use it mostly on 40 and 15 meters (with my tuner). If you follow the instructions and resonate to the part of the band you like most, it really does great. I spoke with Steve on the phone this morning (1-2-13), great man, and some of the best customer service I have ever seen! I am getting ready to put my tower back up (46 ft) and needed the instructions to readjust the resonance because I had lost mine (had a senior moment when I filed them and can no longer find them. He sent them to me by email the same day I asked for them! WOW! I really like this antenna and can hardly wait to see what it will do at 50 ft. It will be installed above my Force 12 tri-band so I will have 4 bands up! You can't go wrong getting this antenna, it performs!

K4WLS Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2012 09:24 Send this review to a friend
works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live with HOA rules that bar me from having an antenna that extends above the roof, or is visible from the road. I was looking for an antenna that would perform better than a low wire especially on the mid and upper bands. I bought the TAK-Tenna, and put it together according to the instructions with the exception being I resonated it to just above the 30 meter band to allow me to tune it smoothly at 20, 17, 15, and 10. I have used it for 3 weeks and my log on qrz.com is testament to how well this works..the antenna gives me great ears as well as transmission and now, if I can hear them, I can work them..barefooted with 100 watts if need be. I have the TAK-tenna 35 feet off the ground horizontal polarization. In the past 3 weeks I have worked 12 countries on 4 continents with TAK-Tenna and with lower noise in reception too..for less than 150 bucks how can you go wrong..thumbs up guys at TAK-Tenna!

WA7ROD Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2012 16:09 Send this review to a friend
number 2 ant.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the secound one I got. This is for 20 meter band and with a 4:1 bulin from comtek, I have a SWR of 1.1 on the whole band, dead flat. I get almost all 100 watts I put in it.

I can hear It all, At least as much as you can with it in the up and down direction.

Soon I will get the 10 meter one!